Guide | How To Speed up Chrome & Firefox by using a RAM disk

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

jkiller

Level 1
Oct 31, 2013
I think Cleans cache very importan!

Imran

Level 1
Feb 27, 2012
I have created 1GB Disk(Fat 16).
But it's invisible in Computer but i can see that drive(that i've created with RAMDisk) in "Create and format hard disk partitions"

I have Windows 8.1 Pro 32bit ;)

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
hiya does anyone know about AMD Radeon RAMDisk you can get 4GB free and if your machine runs an AMD memory product you can get uo to 6 GB any ideas or suggestions

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Thread author
Apr 17, 2011
Imran said:
I have created 1GB Disk(Fat 16).
But it's invisible in Computer but i can see that drive(that i've created with RAMDisk) in "Create and format hard disk partitions"

I have Windows 8.1 Pro 32bit ;)

The RAMDisk website states that it supports up to Windows 8 but doesn't list 8.1 that might be why.

Retry at making the RAMDisk and even try restarting your PC after making it. I have not had that issue before how ever.

Reactions: Svoll

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Well its the same tutorial that i have been searching else where in the internet. The same tips have been given every where. I have minor concern over this. I have been trying to setup the cache directory for the Firefox, it have approved my commands, what I am observing is, when I scan my PC with CCleaner, I get the results such that my cache is still stored in the C drive rather than the other one which I have set is for
Code:
E:\Browser_Cache\Mozilla FF Cache
When I scan with CCleaner it shows the files in here
Code:
C:\Users\Purshu_Pro\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\m5o0otd3.default\cache2\entries

So is there a solution for this? Or have I mistaken the concept? Please provide me a solution.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Firefox can be run in ram anyway natively.No need to download and install extra software.Chrome uses up enough ram anyway so i see no real benefit from running chrome in a ramdisk,

Reactions: Enju

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Firefox can be run in ram anyway natively.No need to download and install extra software.Chrome uses up enough ram anyway so i see no real benefit from running chrome in a ramdisk,
Even though Chrome caches some data directly in its process, a RAMDisk still has its uses for HDD users since it dramatically increases the load times of websites. For SSDs, a RAMDisk is mostly useless as long as it's a high-quality MLC or SLC one, for TLC I highly recommend a RAMDisk since TLC wears out extremely quickly! :)

Strykerraven

May 5, 2016
Lots of bad info in this thread. I signed up just to make some corrections. I know the thread is a few months old but still had to correct it as I came across it trying to find the parameter for Google Chromes launch...
1) The biggest issue is for Firefox you guys should be converting from* Kb not bytes.... You can confirm you all have set about 209 Gigabytes by simply putting about:cache?device=memory in your firefox address bar.
2) Forget about proprietary software and use IMDisk which is open source and not limited, there are hundreds of guides on google for it.
3) You can set Firefox to use memory only; But I still prefer ramdrive due to how windows manages memory. I make all my browsers share a 512MB-768MB RamDrive. Some recommended only setting Firefox to cache to ram but this is moot. I cache my profiles to ramdrive as well with batch files and write them back on shutdown.
4) Ram Drives today remain much faster than SSD's.... This is common sense. Your ram should be faster as its more integrated with the cpu than something that typically hits a sata limitation.

Not to mention that besides the speed increase; Ram drives beat HDD/SDD because they reduce writes. Yes a SDD has no mechanical parts but it still has limited write cycles.

giulia

Level 5
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
i have used SoftPerfect RAM Disk free version ,now it's paid
to use for firefox and chrome but i haven't found any gain
conversely seems that the ram disk under windows 8.1 for example slow down the system even if you don't you use the ramdisk, maybe it's how w8.1 handly the ram

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
hi
i have used SoftPerfect RAM Disk free version ,now it's paid
to use for firefox and chrome but i haven't found any gain
conversely seems that the ram disk under windows 8.1 for example slow down the system even if you don't you use the ramdisk, maybe it's how w8.1 handly the ram
I have no problem with ramdisk on windows 8.1 or 10
I just use 512Mb of ram and put cache folder only in the ramdrive. If we put the whole chrome profile and watch a movie online, it will be fully filled -> not good

if we spend too much memory for ramdrive + you have virtual memory (pagefile) it might cause significant performance drop because pagefile has to work more (speed is equal to your HDD/SSD speed)

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I have tried this tweak and I like it. I also put my windows temp files and IE temp file in the Ramdisk (SoftPerfect 3.4.8 last freeware version). Haven't really noticed the difference, but I am hoping it would save my SSD from write cycles as I also put my photoshop scratch disk there. Been using 2gb and it has been okay so far.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Given the advancements of memory management of browsers, is a RAM disk still fine or recommended to use? I'm actually just confused. I'm inclined to use one again, but I have some doubts.
Sorry I don't really understand your question but Itry to answer
I think ramdisk is always welcome to be used. It increases the browsing speed significantly particularly in HDD, can be hard to notice on SSD and it increases the lifespan of the HDD due to less disk activity
there is nothing to do with memory management, it's just about storing the cache files in a faster place so opening a website will be faster
If you try to open 20+ tabs at the same time for testing purpose, you can notice the difference: disk io is much lower and speed is also x5 faster (I only have a laptop HDD)
I use a 512Mb ramdrive and it's more than enough for browsing, never be full. It will be automatcally cleared on reboot

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
They don't really make a difference especially on ssd. Your OS already uses available ram to load stuff into it. Sure if you have an hdd you might notice a bit faster browser because it will load fast from cache but if you own an ssd there is no noticeable difference.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Sorry I don't really understand your question but Itry to answer
I think ramdisk is always welcome to be used. It increases the browsing speed significantly particularly in HDD, can be hard to notice on SSD and it increases the lifespan of the HDD due to less disk activity
there is nothing to do with memory management, it's just about storing the cache files in a faster place so opening a website will be faster
If you try to open 20+ tabs at the same time for testing purpose, you can notice the difference: disk io is much lower and speed is also x5 faster (I only have a laptop HDD)
I use a 512Mb ramdrive and it's more than enough for browsing, never be full. It will be automatcally cleared on reboot
Thanks!
I might try having a ram drive later. :)
I was just curious, since if I remember correctly, people from different sites and forums have discouraged using a ram disk even for browsers because they said that browsers have already been developed to be intelligent in managing RAM (and disk cache), making RAM disks useless.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.