Solved Spigot yahoo malware

statmed

Thread author
May 21, 2014
I can not find appropriate removal instructions for this spigot malware. All instructions that I find on the net show screenshots which do not match my system or instructions to look for malicious .exe files that I can not see in my files.

I am using Windows 8 which I am new to.I find this system non intuitive. I am struggling to conduct basic file search actions.

I have spent the last day on this issue and I am becoming extremely frustrated.

I have found out I am using a 64 bit system

Last edited:

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Download attached fixlist.txt on the same location as FRST (otherwise the fix won't work)
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to the operating system

Open FRST, and click Fix. Attach me that report after it is finished.

***** NEXT *****

Please download zoek.zip or zoek.rar by smeenk (
Zoek_icon.png
) from here or here and save it to your Desktop.
Unpack the archive...
  • Close any open browsers
  • Temporarily disable your AntiVirus program. (If necessary)
    If you are unsure how to do this please read this or this Instruction.
  • Double click on zoek.exe to run the tool .
    Please wait while the tool does not start...
  • Copy the text present inside the code box below and paste it into the large window in the zoek tool:
    NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to the operating system

Code:
    createsrpoint;
    emptyfolderscheck;delete
    autoclean;
    emptyclsid;
    emptyalltemp;
    ipconfig /flushdns;b
  • Click on
    Run%20Script%20by%20zoek.png
    button.
    Please wait until a logreport will open (this can be after reboot)
  • Save notepad to your Desktop and attach here zoek-results.log
    Note: It will also create a log in the C:\ directory named "zoek-results.log"

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 279

statmed

Thread author
May 21, 2014
Download attached fixlist.txt on the same location as FRST (otherwise the fix won't work)

Open FRST, and click Fix. Attach me that report after it is finished.

***** NEXT *****

Please download zoek.zip or zoek.rar by smeenk (
Zoek_icon.png
) from here or here and save it to your Desktop.
Unpack the archive...
  • Close any open browsers
  • Temporarily disable your AntiVirus program. (If necessary)
    If you are unsure how to do this please read this or this Instruction.
  • Double click on zoek.exe to run the tool .
    Please wait while the tool does not start...
  • Copy the text present inside the code box below and paste it into the large window in the zoek tool:

Code:
    createsrpoint;
    emptyfolderscheck;delete
    autoclean;
    emptyclsid;
    emptyalltemp;
    ipconfig /flushdns;b
  • Click on
    Run%20Script%20by%20zoek.png
    button.
    Please wait until a logreport will open (this can be after reboot)
  • Save notepad to your Desktop and attach here zoek-results.log
    Note: It will also create a log in the C:\ directory named "zoek-results.log"
Hi - Please find the Fixlog you requested. Something has definitely changed regarding the browser start up. No Yahoo appearing :) Do you still want me to go through the Zoek proceedure?

Attachments

• Fixlog_27-05-2014_16-16-01.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 126

statmed

Thread author
May 21, 2014
Yes, let's execute Zoek too.

OK its done. Please find the attached file. I did not disable the AVG virus scanner before eecuting proceedure (I was not sure if this was essential). The AVG Scanner said it detected a virus upon computer shut down. It also said the code was attempting to make changes to the AVG system. Does that have anything to do with the Zoek tool?

Attachments

• zoek-results.log
    6.1 KB · Views: 99

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Yes, it probably has something with Zoek. Zoek is legit tool, and some antivirus products flag it as malicious, what is false detection.

We will still need one more fix and we're done:

> Re-run zoek with the script below and attach here fresh zoek log results.

Code:
Undetermined;ff
Undetermined;ff
Undetermined;ff
Undetermined;ff
firefoxlook;

statmed

Thread author
May 21, 2014
Yes, it probably has something with Zoek. Zoek is legit tool, and some antivirus products flag it as malicious, what is false detection.

We will still need one more fix and we're done:

Code:
Undetermined;ff
Undetermined;ff
Undetermined;ff
Undetermined;ff
firefoxlook;

Sorry for the delay. The Virus system kept on killing the Zoek tool.
The log is attached.

Attachments

• zoek-results.log
    2 KB · Views: 79

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Not good, we need one more fix:

Code:
savingsslider@mybrowserbar.com;ff
{58d2a791-6199-482f-a9aa-9b725ec61362};ff
saamazon@mybrowserbar.com;ff
saebay@mybrowserbar.com;ff
autoclean;
emptyclsid;

statmed

Thread author
May 21, 2014
Hi thanks for that. Please find attached the new log. I have recently experienced a new issue which I am not sure if it is related to what we are doing: I am noticing that on the last few computer boot ups I can not use my key board. I have to restart my laptop which seems to get the key board back again.

Attachments

• zoek-results 28.5.14 2.03 pm.txt
    5.5 KB · Views: 71

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
PC seems clean now. How is the situation except keyboard problem?

About your keyboard, are you using hibernation or sleep mode?

statmed

Thread author
May 21, 2014
Thanks for that. I will sort out the beer for you. Not sure what is causing the keyboard problem. It did not happen tonight - not using sleep or hibernation mode. Will see if it persists. Thanks for your help :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.