Spybot Search and Destroy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
It is not a popular item anymore in our circle and many have said that it is outdated, but I have decided to put Spybot S+D back on my PC for SCAN ONLY purposes. I am not utilizing it for anything except scanning for things that MBAM or SAS might have missed. I am not allowing it to manipulate my hosts files. I am not doing anything with it except updating all malware prevention based signatures. I am going to run it once every few weeks.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well seems not really outdated when they will release the version on May 11.

Link

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I figure that this posting would get a few responses. LOL

It found: Click.GiftLoad... Feature_Browser_Emulation\svhost.exe

Everything else it found were harmless cookies that I allow for surfing efficiency.

I have to admit that it scans much, much faster than it used to when I used it over a year ago.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Good to know that they're still improving their products , The only people I know that recomments Spybot are old people, LOL

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well they are still updated from their definitions. I used that long time before

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I ran MBAM and SAS prior to the Spybot S+D scan and neither found Click.GiftLoad. That has to be worth something.

HitMan Pro did not find it either.

If you were wondering, Spybot S+D DID remove Click.GiftLoad after it found it.

By the way, I AM old compared to you guys and gals, LOL. (37)

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
I agree that SBS&D is older but I imagine it to be somewhat like Smart Definitions in NIS, when enabled it doesn't download all the older not as often problematic related signatures. I think Mbam, SAS, and HitMan are absolutely excellent but sometimes I think they came about more recently and perhaps some older infections, malware, spyware, etc may not be included with their definitions, this is why I think SBS&D still has a place in some toolkits, once the newer version is released if it contains the current definition set as well as some newer like Mbam and SAS then we may have a very good reason to start using it again. Guess I also fall into the "old people" group since I am 34, just a little short of ZOU.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
The old people that I mean are people aged 50 and above LOL, especially if they're not that knowledgeable about computers and just bases their opinions on other old people's opinions, like Saying that Norton's still a resource hog, Cheers Tweak, :biggrin:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think Click.GiftLoad HijackersC (Feature_Browser_Emulation) is not a FP

Link

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
BoXX28 said:
The old people that I mean are people aged 50 and above LOL, especially if they're not that knowledgeable about computers and just bases their opinions on other old people's opinions, like Saying that Norton's still a resource hog, Cheers Tweak, :biggrin:

I figured you meant more along the lines of say 50+, but SBS&D used to be #1 (or #2 since Ad-Aware was on the scene as well) and maybe it won't ever get back to that but at the least I look forward to seeing what this new version offers.:cool:

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I can hardly say that Spybot will ever be as good as the good on deman scanners, :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Spybot Search and Destroy is a good on demand scanner even before (I don't know before MBAM,SAS,and HMP) my older brother that using this desktop before have Spybot.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I remember my Dad using Spybot to fix some Adware issues on our first PC, It works great before, But try pitting Spybot with a TDSS Rootkit, :p

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Since I didn't want to make a new thread. Here's some news you may be eager to hear.

Hello,

In May you will all get the eagerly awaited update.
We are planning to release the Spybot 2.0 Beta on May 11th.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot
Post #173

Only 10 days away.:D

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
Spybot Search and Destroy are not powerful..
i just use MBAM,HMP, SAS for scan every 1 week and if get infect i just use CD bootable :)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
ZOU1 said:
By the way, I AM old compared to you guys and gals, LOL. (37)

Still younger than me. :p

The biggest problem I have with Spybot is that its Immunization feature adds bloat to the users HOSTS file without even telling them what it is doing. :s

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
"The biggest problem I have with Spybot is that its Immunization feature adds bloat to the users HOSTS file without even telling them what it is doing."

You are exactly right. I steer clear of all the bells and whistles for that reason. I do not even update the Tea Timer. All I am planning of doing with it is downloading malware definitions and scanning/removing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.