SpyShelter 12.3 Released

JoeN

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2011
SpyShelter version 12.3 is live now!

New version of SpyShelter brings support for Windows October 2020 Update. You can either update via SpyShelter directly or download new installer from our Download Page.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to issue in new buggy Windows API introduced in 20H1 and 20H2 (not fixed by vendor yet) Screen Phantom feature does not work in 20H1 and 20H2. Feature relies on Windows API – we cannot fix OS issues and reliable workaround is not possible at this moment. Unfortunately we don’t have info when exactly it will be fixed with system cumulative updates. We’ll keep you updated regarding that matter.

12.3 (13/Oct/2020)
– Added support for October 2020 Update (20H2)
– Fixed rare BSOD on 32 bit version of Windows 10
Code:
12.3 (13/Oct/2020)

– Added support for October 2020 Update (20H2)
– Fixed rare BSOD on 32 bit version of Windows 10

Download

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I have installed SpyShelter Premium with F-Secure Antivirus. It was very chatty on the first day: 41 rules. Second day 8 rules. I'm on the third day: so far, no rule. No issue for this combo....
I have enabled anti-keylogger and Keystroke Protection, System Protection (HIPS) and internet security. That's all! SpyShelter doesn't nag you if you don't activate all the modules.
I have a lifetime licence of SS.

Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
@Back3
You should consider testing SS on different protection level...just for collecting more experience :) Here is some useful info about it

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
No spectacular changes in newest paid versions but I found big diferences in Free 12.3 version - the range of protection comparing to version 12.0 mentioned here is changed.
Some of them reduced, some added, some romoved. Here is description:
- earlier it was 25 actions
- now we have 43 actions what we can see on screenshot below
SSfree12.3_action.jpg
*Were added
anti-keylogging protection (actions #1-20, 55, 56, 58 ) NEW
clipboard protection (#24) NEW
anti-gettext (#25) NEW
*were removed
firewall (#33, 48, 50, 52, 54) REDUCED
system protection (#49) REDUCED
screen protection (#35) NOT AVALIABLE

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Hi

I am trying out Spyshelter free and whenever i restart my pc the firewall asks me about allow or deny for the same programs over and over. I have it set to High sec.level. What to do to fix so it remembers the rules and do not ask me, over and over. Or is this how this program works?

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Hi @pxxb1
1- Did you tick on an option "remeber my choice"? when you received alert window? If no you will be allways alerted about this specific action.
2 - If you want to omit iritating alerts during some installation/update you can use "installation mode"...but if you want also remember such rules you have to enable option "create rules in installer mode" on tab Settings/General
3- you can also use command "disable monitoring of action" and by this way disable one specific action or whole protection module.
One important mention in this situation - every automatic allowed action like above should be done only if you know for sure that alerted app/process is trustworthy and legit.
201118083701_1.jpg

Last edited:

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Hi @pxxb1
1- Did you tick on an option "remeber my choice"? when you received alert window? If no you will be allways alerted about this specific action.
2 - If you want to omit iritating alerts during some installation/update you can use "installation mode"...but if you want also remember such rules you have to enable option "create rules in installer mode" on tab Settings/General
3- you can also use command "disable monitoring of action" and by this way disable one specific action or whole protection module.
One important mention in this situation - every automatic allowed action like above should be done only if you know for sure that alerted app/process is trustworthy and legit.
View attachment 249236

Of course i have!

That is what is so mysterious, i tick "apply the choice..." and "remember... " but whenever i restart the pc i get the exact same box for any program to tick. Right now i have set it to medium level and that works but i want to have high. With medium some actions will be accepted automatically and i have to, afterwards, handle what i do not want to have.

If this is NOT how it should behave then it may be a compatibility bug with my setup. The help file is not very helpful.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Ok...what kind of apps is alerted in such way? It's quite important because actually all updates of an app...especialy of security app or system...are named the same or similar but in fact are different files/processes. In "ask user" mode every such action will be alreted no matter what you tick on or allw. Could you show some screenshots?

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Ok...what kind of apps is alerted in such way? It's quite important because actually all updates of an app...especialy of security app or system...are named the same or similar but in fact are different files/processes. In "ask user" mode every such action will be alreted no matter what you tick on or allw. Could you show some screenshots?

I wil not post any screenshots i just want to know if the behaviour i describe is normal or what. How does it functioning for you?
I have Qihoo 360 as Av and there are "calls" i want to get an alert about so i can stop it DIRECTLY, not handling it afterwards. Besides, i want full control and not be dependent on what they consider safe, as with "medium level". I want high and be able to Allow or Deny all programs - one time - successively, and that`s it.

Maybe Spyshelter depends on the inbuilt protection to some degree, that i have removed totally with NTLite.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
@pxxb1
I couldn't say more simply
@Lenny_Fox
A picture tells more than a thousend words

No...it seems to be strange behaviour but such things always have their reasons. At this time it's quite not possible to undestand your problem especialy due to your system modification (NTLite). Of cource having two ore more security apps that are working in real-time and by this way conntroll system modification it's rather obligatory to make some exclusions each other but I think such things are done by you already.

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

@ichito I just came to know that you are experienced user of SpyShelter. I am looking to use it as a firewall only not HIPS part. But I can't turn off all those notifucation even after disabling System Protection. Is there any way to use it as a firewall only?

Reactions: Protomartyr

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
In Free version you can't disable monitoring of HIPS/anti-logging actions. I think you could try something like that
- set network zone to undefined
- open advanced windows for each process and edit:
"Incoming network traffic" - default
"Outgoing network taffic" - default
It should allows you to be alerted about in/out connection in undefined zone and make rules what you need.
The rest actions:
"All general actions" - allow
"Execution af oan aplikactio" - allow
You can "save" such template wile first time and use it for others needed processes by pushing button "load"
It should reduce others alerts to minimum. I never tried such trick but I wish you success :)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Plus System Protection can't be turned off in free version. :cautious:
As an average user I think it is very annoying.

Well, that's impossible as System-Protection is related to Firewall-Settings in case of Syshelter, otherwise it would be just a software to notify for Firewall outbound connections like Windows Firewall Control and others...

Of course, I fully agree, Spyshelter is for "advanced" users only!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.