App Review SpyShelter Premium

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
SpyShelter is a security software based on behavior analysis (HIPS)
It offers to detect malware only if the behavior of an application is suspicious or not.
It also contains many other shields that we will test.

Warning: This is not an antivirus, the notation is different, even if I used the same protocol.
During the test, I autotize once and then refuse or kill the malware with SpyShelter.

SpyShelter offers HIPS protection to the system. It will basically detect suspicious and abnormal behavior and determine whether it is legitimate or not.
I pushed SpyShelter to its maximum.
When it comes to exploiting vulnerabilities and other Trojans, SpyShelter protects the system correctly, provided that it responds well to its requests.
But, SpyShelter is vulnerable to Ransomware. Although it managed to block some of them, DeriaLocker and CRBR Ransomware managed to encrypt data.
SpyShelter can be a good addition, but should not be used alone!

@Zorro request

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I pushed SpyShelter to its maximum
When it comes to exploiting vulnerabilities and other Trojans, SpyShelter protects the system correctly, provided that it responds well to its requests.
But, SpyShelter is vulnerable to Ransomware. Although it managed to block some of them, DeriaLocker and CRBR Ransomware managed to encrypt data.
SpyShelter can be a good addition, but should not be used alone!

@Zorro
Thanks for great test...but :)
- What means maximum?...you didn't describe and show on video what security settings were enabled and created. I don't want to speculate so could you give a bit more info?
- In relation to previous point - SS offers file/folder protection what gives user opportunity to protect local data. I didn't see alert about it.

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Thanks for great test...but :)
- What means maximum?...you didn't describe and show on video what security settings were enabled and created. I don't want to speculate so could you give a bit more info?
- In relation to previous point - SS offers file/folder protection what gives user opportunity to protect local data. I didn't see alert about it.

Hello :)

The settings have been left as default.
When I say "to the maximum" I mean my test protocol (URL, malware injection via a dropper that pretends to be a crack, malware pack and Ransomware pack)

Concerning the function you describe next, I have never seen it indeed.
Another great test/video. I'm very happy to see more non AV/AM tests. OSArmor next? Maybe revisit AppGuard with current samples?

Keep it up Shadowra, I really like your content! 🦩 Like the music too 💿

OSarmor and AppGuard are scheduled for early June :)
I still have some videos to edit and publish :D

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Hello :)

The settings have been left as default.
When I say "to the maximum" I mean my test protocol (URL, malware injection via a dropper that pretends to be a crack, malware pack and Ransomware pack)

Concerning the function you describe next, I have never seen it indeed.
You can have much more stronger protection e.g. using "ask user" level, restrict some apps and locations or control access to vital files/folders.
I you could use them and than test SS I would be thankful :)
Here is small guide how to make it

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Gave SpyShelter Premium trial a whilrl last night, it always blocked AdGuard & AdGuardVPN on boot, the only way I could get them to run was unchecking Keylogger, obviously not helpful - There were no popups or anything, I'm not inclined to buy it until I'm convinced it will run OK on this PC?

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Gave SpyShelter Premium trial a whilrl last night, it always blocked AdGuard & AdGuardVPN on boot, the only way I could get them to run was unchecking Keylogger, obviously not helpful - There were no popups or anything, I'm not inclined to buy it until I'm convinced it will run OK on this PC?
If you add all the Adguard folders to the Spyshelter Premium exceptions (exceptions for all existing and future files in these folders), then there will be no problems when both programs work together.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@Shadowra Where do I get the butterflies in your video?
You can download it from the following website. I scanned the installer at VirusTotal and it's clean. The installer @Shadowra ran is not the original installer. It is from the website soft32 and wants to install extra software. The original installer does not come with any extras.

Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Both apps touch vital areas and functions of system so first in your case was to check log entries...it's always easier make good decision then.
In such issues there are few options to resolve problem but sometimes they can be not good for system and other applications:
- uncheck option "automatically block suspicious action" - it influences not only one specific process/app
- similar enabling higher compatibility
- good idea is to exclude apps folder what was mentioned by @Zorro ...but sometime process of our app is working from another location on system disk
- you can add certificate of app to own list of trusted vendors - SS has own built-in and not accessible for user list of trusted what is the base of how "protection level" option works
- when you run first time some app you can enable "installation mode" what allows to act all actions/behavior of that app...but it not means that all action will be allowed automatically
- you can allow automatically all action by entering advanced rules window and ticking on "allow all" in boxes on top...all other options will be changed to greyed and inactive.

It's of course basic scenario and everything what you decide to use/enable depends on application and your needs.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I also had issues with new Edge not running on default, it's not helpful at all for the trial to run a timeout on boot just as you are trying to work out boot issues with it - I'll have a try later when I have more time :)
:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.