Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows 10 config:

Added: WSA (thanks @Klipsh ;) ) , TinyWall and Paragon B&R

Removed: EAM, Glasswire beta, WPS and AOMEI Backupper PRO

Lately I felt a little heavy EAM, so I'm testing with a lighter config. On my computer this has happened on other occasions with the BitDefender engine
Glasswire is really nice, but I think the better the "austere" TinyWall.
After trying both, the truth is that I work more comfortable with Libreoffice so I uninstall WPS
Aomei Backupper just stopped working. When reinstalling it went well for a couple of days, but again fail, then the same thing happened to me with Macrium Reflect. Now with Paragon seems that everything works (thanks @frogboy ;) )
I love WinPatrol, but I do not know what to do with it. In Windows 7 is a inamovibler soft, but Windows 10 I have many doubts. I have it in quarantine, waiting to see what I decide to do with it

Thinking about adding Qihoo 360 TS disabling Avira and BD engines

All your tips are welcome. Thanks :)
I love everything about a light and (Spartan) tough configuration! When I was a boy, there was an ad campaign for a cigarette, "I'd rather light than fight".

..but the videos which follow are even more enjoyable!;)

Back to your config, I've wished to use your newly installed & "austere" TinyWall too, and shall presently live this dream vicariously through you and others as you, Sr. Normal, whom know.:D
I'm going to look closer at the "Paragon" of @frogboy, and then maybe I'll come closer to "Hanging 10" with my cutting edge friends.:rolleyes:
If (yet more likely "when") you've entered the Qihoo 360 dimensiono_O w/Avira & BD engines disabled, let us hear all about your running free & easy!:)

My wife is calling me away to take her out to eat, so before 'my' engines become disabled I'll say well done. Your configuration looks both light & promisingly impressive!:D

Last edited:
S

Sr. Normal

Thread author
Thanks @Jo Man and @Klipsh :)

@Cats-4_Owners-2 as always, a pleasure to read your comments. :) I was delighted to see an ad that brings me back to my childhood, when people could smoke in hospitals, cars, elevators, bars ... :cool:

Tinywall is working fine, ;) well it is Windows Firewall but easier to configure. Light, easy and... In Spanish!!:cool:

And Qihoo... well It is a AV that I love. I always come back to it. As well says @jamescv7 (thanks for the advice), better with their own engines.

Don't disabled your engines my friend :eek: :D :D

S

Sr. Normal

Thread author
ADDED: ZoneAlarm free AV + Firewall

REMOVED: TinyWall

I've always loved ZoneAlarm, I have retested and, for me, is the best free firewall.

I know that the AV has Karpesky engine, which is very good, but I notice my computer a bit more heavy, also lacks options to which I am accustomed, cloud .... I doubt between keeping it or put another AV lighter to accompany this firewall.

I wonder what you recommend me. Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sr. Normal

Thread author
ADDED: ZoneAlarm Firewall Free, Avira free and Malwarebyts AntiExploit

REMOVED: ZoneAlarm free AV + Firewall

I love ZoneAlarm, But when I format the computer I have an unwritten law that "forced me" to change configuration.

ZoneAlarm Free AV works well :), but the computer is a bit slows down. I do not like, particularly, that it lacks of protection in the cloud, but what most motivated me to change it has been testing Hub Malware. I watched that Karpesky detected viruses and 24 hours after, ZoneAlarm continues undetected them. :(
So I wanted to choose this time to a free AV with cloud and more reliable.
I think with ZoneAlarm Firewall (Max. Settings) + Avira free + Crystal Security + WSA + MBAE my computer should be protected.:eek: In fact, I think I'll uninstall MBAE soon. ;)
What do you think about this config?

P.S. I got a Avast IS key, but my wife has already told me that I will install it on the computer she uses at home to work. Wives and giveaways.;) "Easy Comes Easy Goes" :cool::D

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015

I love ZoneAlarm, But when I format the computer I have an unwritten law that "forced me" to change configuration.

ZoneAlarm Free AV works well :), but the computer is a bit slows down. I do not like, particularly, that it lacks of protection in the cloud, but what most motivated me to change it has been testing Hub Malware. I watched that Karpesky detected viruses and 24 hours after, ZoneAlarm continues undetected them. :(
I think with ZoneAlarm Firewall (Max. Settings) + Avira free + Crystal Security + WSA + MBAE my computer should be protected.:eek: In fact, I think I'll uninstall MBAE soon. ;)

P.S. I got a Avast IS key, but my wife has already told me that I will install it on the computer she uses at home to work. Wives and giveaways.;) "Easy Comes Easy Goes" :cool::D

Personal opinion: overkill

Windows firewall + Avira free is more than enough.
No need to be adding CS, WSA and MBAE.
Can replace Windows Firewall with ZA Firewall if you wsh.

Reactions: Sr. Normal

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013

Knew you could not leave it alone for very long. :D

P.S. I hope your wife enjoys your Avast key. ;)

S

Sr. Normal

Thread author
Personal opinion: overkill

Windows firewall + Avira free is more than enough.
No need to be adding CS, WSA and MBAE.
Can replace Windows Firewall with ZA Firewall if you wsh.
Thanks @Inkurax for your advice. I´ll uninstall MBAE sure. WSA is very light it does not really bother in my system, but I'll think about it. Thanks

Knew you could not leave it alone for very long. :D

P.S. I hope your wife enjoys your Avast key. ;)
You know me well my friend :)

Reactions: frogboy
L

LabZero

Thread author
I am a little disagree about uninstalling MBAE my friend.

Unfortunately a "drive-by" attack can cause malicious software to be installed without you specifically requested the download of any files. "Drive-by" attacks represent a serious threat because the execution of malware could occur simply by surfing the web using a standard browser.

Increasingly, attackers publish on web pages that host malicious content able to exploit known vulnerabilities present in older versions of browsers, plugins and software installed on your system.
Not enough so always keep your browser to the latest version by installing patches and upgrades but we must remember to check the plugins you use. For each plugin you will need to make sure you're always using the latest release.

But that's not good enough because this type of aggression, if well performed, can cause many victims just because the vulnerable application manufacturer has not evidently release a corrective patch ... zero-day.

MBAE does not offers 100% protection but It can mitigate this exploit and ... for free.

S

Sr. Normal

Thread author

Unfortunately a "drive-by" attack can cause malicious software to be installed without you specifically requested the download of any files. "Drive-by" attacks represent a serious threat because the execution of malware could occur simply by surfing the web using a standard browser.

Increasingly, attackers publish on web pages that host malicious content able to exploit known vulnerabilities present in older versions of browsers, plugins and software installed on your system.
Not enough so always keep your browser to the latest version by installing patches and upgrades but we must remember to check the plugins you use. For each plugin you will need to make sure you're always using the latest release.

But that's not good enough because this type of aggression, if well performed, can cause many victims just because the vulnerable application manufacturer has not evidently release a corrective patch ... zero-day.

MBAE does not offers 100% protection but It can mitigate this exploit and ... for free.
Thanks my friend. :) but ... do not you think my config overinflated? I think I should leave something. Perhaps WSA?

Reactions: Crystal_Lake_Camper

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015

With the remaining of his toolkit at his disposal, can be easily cleaned in case of a rare drive by infection.

Sure it would benefit having MBAE perhaps once in a blue moon, unless basic things are not kept in check updated OS and components.

Reactions: Sr. Normal

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Thanks my friend. :) but ... do not you think my config overinflated? I think I should leave something. Perhaps WSA?

Ill give you an example: one of my systems is used by others, not me. It currently has: Windows Defender + Windows Firewall, an ad block extension and thats it.

I check that system every 3 months. Past 2 years: number of infecions = zero.

Another example is my main config, which you can see on my signature. I only recently added McAfee to the mix because I felt bored of my previous config, which was basically: Windows Defender + Windows Firewall and Adblock Plus.

S

Sr. Normal

Thread author
REMOVED: WSA

In my personal opinion you may remove WSA, now unnecessary, but, like I said, MBAE, with its limitation, adds another security level but ...you must decide.:)

I will use the good of WSA in XP, ;)I´ll miss it, but do not want a bunch defensive components (I have now just 4) :oops:

Ill give you an example: one of my systems is used by others, not me. It currently has: Windows Defender + Windows Firewall, an ad block extension and thats it.

I check that system every 3 months. Past 2 years: number of infecions = zero.

Another example is my main config, which you can see on my signature. I only recently added McAfee to the mix because I felt bored of my previous config, which was basically: Windows Defender + Windows Firewall and Adblock Plus.
You have a minimalist defense, but effective from what I see. I can not yet rely on Windows Defender, perhaps in the near future, but not for now

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
You have a minimalist defense, but effective from what I see. I can not yet rely on Windows Defender, perhaps in the near future, but not for now

Simple but effective. You can switch WD to another solution, whether free or paid. Paid I used ESET AV and used McAfee SaaS EP, then moved to WD.

The shared system used to run avast! free av until it just gave me headaches (pop ups etc, not infections). I should technically convert all systems to McAfee Endpoint Security but EP has although reached EOL, it still works for both Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 so it saves me from maintaining too many systems physically.

each user have their way to approach security layers. I just prefer the core basics without any bells and whistles.

Some users will look at my config and comment something along the lines of being barebones, but that works for me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.