Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
slow
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
change av's ,defrag , tweaks ,etc
Hi I presently have windows Pro 10 1803 that is a Jan2018 install, it is running slow at times and I have tried many things to make it better. I am planning on getting a ssd drive and have a few questions.
I ahave already googled this stuff and there are so many different ways to do this,so I'll ask anyway.
What is the best way to keep my presen t win10 1803 setup and transfer it to the ssd drive?
Should I just do a new install of win10 on the ssd drive instead?
Lastly because I am tired of win 10 and how slow it is , is it also a better idea to make a new install of windows 7 ultimate? I do miss win7, others may agree.
Thks

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Some SSD brands have their own software to clone your current drive if you dont want to do a fresh install. In my case, I bought months ago an EVO 860 (500GB), and I used their Samsung data migration software without any problem. Its very very easy, I recommend you to go for samsung if you can. Of course you will notice a general increase in performance of your computer thanks to a SSD drive.

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Trust me. Do a fresh install. Backup only your personal files and get rid of the HDD. New install of fresh Windows for the SSD. Else you will not be experimenting your SSD on its full skill :) And totally go for Windows 10.

Upvote 0

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Ok why win10 and not win7 ,hopefully I'll get a smoother experience with win10 on ssd.
People will recommend Win 10 because it's the latest and still have a long life cycle. In reality, you can choose whichever you want. But please keep in mind that Win 7 & 8.1 are already in extended support phase which will end in 2020 & 2023 respectively.

It's up to you whether you want to use 10 now and save yourself from the hassle later on. Or keep using 7 until its support ended.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.