Advice Request Standalone AVs and Firewalls options

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
I am using latest version of K7 Total Security (K7TS). I want to disable its Firewall (FW) component but, as far as I can tell, it no longer gives the user that option. I sent the issue to K7 support but haven't yet received an answer.

Reason for wanting to disable K7TS's firewall: I want to use Simplewall FW because (A) it has excellent default rules that are on/off switchable, & are visible to the user, AND (B) it offers user a better rule-setting process.

QUESTION: What is a good, reasonably light AV that either (A) has NO firewall component, OR (B) has a firewall that can easily be disabled?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Russo

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
You've been around here and Wilders long enough so that you already know the answer to that my friend. You don't need someone to validate it for you.
No offense but -- when I ask a question, the only thing I'm validating is that I don't have all the answers that I need. If I knew the answers to my question -- I wouldn't have asked it.

I haven't paid much attention to firewalls (strong VS weak, tweakable or not, etc) until lately. My renewed interest eventuates from a recent incident that befell a grandchild despite her using a FW that I had recommended.

Thus, you will find several recent posts on FW matters, here & at Wilders, posted by me -- because I am researching to get up-to-date on FWs: managing ports favored by malware, developing user rules, managing outgoing connections by Windows systemic stuff & telemetry, etc.

Last edited:

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
I meant you should know of a light AV with no firewall. I know your asking about firewalls but I assumed you already know about AV's.
One really "knows" only those AVs that he has used for more than a day or two. The only AVs that I know, apart from the claims on their websites, are K7, Wise Vector SX, & Secure A+ (aka CatchPulse). Why? Because those are the only AVs I have used, for any significant length of time, in recent years.

So I am hoping that I will get answers from folks who know about specific AV's firewalls because of their actual experience -- experience which I do not have.

As to which AVs are truly light, cpu-wise & zippy-wise, one can't ask such a question at Wilders because AV comparisons are forbidden.

As to AV-C performnce tests, I respect them. HOWEVER, the latest AV-C performance test (Oct 2022) showed Kaspersky as being fairly light. After install, It immediately turned my laptop into a doorstop. The keyboard went dead & it took me almost 20 minutes to draaaag my cursor over to do a warm restart (I had my reasons for avoiding cold boot at that time). Fortunately I had imaged prior to install so POOF! no more Kaspersky.

Bottom Line: As to perceived AV lightness/zippiness, I much prefer to hear anecdotal comments based on actual human experience.

Last edited:

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022
Emsisoft :) Although, it is going down hill with regards to (1) support, (2) abandoning their support forum and (3) their excessive support for business and not home users, it is still a very good program. I just wish and hope that they can rollback some of their changes.

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
In my experience, light AV programs without a firewall: F-Secure SAFE and Emsisoft Antimalware Home.
I have seen so many good reports on F-secure here on MT, and then -- along comes your good news -- NO firewall!!! Much thanks for info.

Accordingly, I just bought a 1 year subscription to F-S Safe, via serialcart.com at a great price. I shall give it a 2-3 days trial &, afterward, make it THE one for me -- or else bequeath it to one of my progeny (I have MANY progeny, even though my age is only 33.4 celsius).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New development --- In my initial post I mentioned that I can't find a way to disable K7's firewall, so I sent K7 a support request. A while ago, I received their courteous but non-action reply as follows........
We have resolved your ticket, Below are details for your request.

Ticket Id: FEDK-061565
Subject: K7 Firewall
Department: Consumer
Ticket type: Issue
Priority: Medium

We at K7, Would appreciate your feedback on our Product and Support, which is why we are now sending you a short survey.
So -- they have resolved and closed the issue by asking me to take a short survey. Interesting, wot? 😖
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Dave Russo -- Thanks for the info re Symantic's Endpoint Protection. However, as mentioned in my initial post, I have already settled on Simplewall for my firewall.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.