Static analysis of a ransomware

mrmz

Thread author
Jul 6, 2015
Hi to all,
I`m beginner in malware analysis especially static analysis. For my university project I must analyze this ransomware:

DL link: hxxp://www .freeuploadsite. com/do.php?id=74209
password: infected

Dynamic analysis was not very hard but static analysis bothers me. This malware is packed but none of tools (such as PEiD, etc) could not detect the packer.
I`m beginner in OllyDBG and want to use it to analyze. How can I do it?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LabZero
L

LabZero

Hello I am pleased to read your thread.

Unfortunately explain here how to use Odbg is very difficult and I can tell you from experience that to learn how to use it we must. ... use it, of course with the basics knowledge but this I don't think is a problem.

OllyDBG is a debugging program.
it is used for debugging applications, to find bugs, which occur when an application normally uses but certainly also for the malware analysis.

Monitors the process, reading the memory allocated, and so his code (because each time you start an application, the code is copied into memory), you can insert breakpoints (runtime), the points where the thread blocks according to set actions (breakpoint on a function call X for example)

Also monitors the status of the processor registers and flags as any other debugger and decodes the machine code in assembler.

I'm sure you've seen some guide and then you'll know that is also used to see a full memory dump of the code, the process heap and the stack, so you can figure out how to run certain operations, or perform code injection, since it also says every statement addresses.

You can modify the instructions in code, how to change or other instruction, jmp and then save the modified file.

Well, this was a short review, in detail, you can read the very interesting @kram7750 threads in this forum section.

Regards:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Try Dependency Walker & IDA Pro Free

EDIT: I made a few posts about signatures, malware research, search it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.