XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
@Lockdown Your thoughts on this: HitmanPro.Alert BETA in context of AppGuard?
I would think Mark means that OS components (usually whitelisted by security applications) are frequently abused now, so "whitelisting is dead." :)

To me, whitelisting is not dead. You whitelist OS components (the system space), especially the critical ones. Then, protect them against non-whitelisted objects to preserve their integrity. Whitelisting has its purpose. One just needs to utilize this purpose for better security. :)

The word "initiated" is incorrect, to me. I don't think that's the right term for the origin of malware attacks. :)

Whitelisting plus monitoring of program actions = good security model. :)

Last edited:

Thread author
@Lockdown Your thoughts on this: HitmanPro.Alert BETA in context of AppGuard?

Mark means you cannot implicitly trust (whitelist) what Microsoft ships with Windows. He is not saying anything that has not been known for the past few decades.

In the context of AppGuard, it blocks everything by default in User Space, so it doesn't much matter what is whitelisted in System Space. Also, AppGuard is SRP with the ability to disable processes - so if the user wants to harden their AppGuard install then they may do so - and AppGuard has Guarded programs that are run with restricted privileges.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks. Will just stick with v4 as long as possible. Sure wish they would offer a lifetime license for v5; at least for long time users of AG.

Robert
Just curious, how is v4 different from v5?

Thread author
Thanks. Will just stick with v4 as long as possible. Sure wish they would offer a lifetime license for v5; at least for long time users of AG.

Robert

Lifetime licenses make no economic sense. We might as well close up shop and all go home for good.

You cannot even make money with lifetime version licenses. That's why we switched to the annual license subscription model just like virtually everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I bought Granite AppGuard Personal at $29.95, which had a default auto-renew.

Thankfully I see the Fastspring subscription management site is still active ...

I like AppGuard, there is nothing quite like it, but they certainly don't 'want' the consumer market ... I may just go with NVT OSArmor in the future.

Reactions: shmu26

Glashouse

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 4, 2017
OK Guys,

after some days I just got the feedback from suport that there will be no discount and that I have to buy for the full price...

Reactions: shmu26 and XhenEd

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
OK Guys,

after some days I just got the feedback from suport that there will be no discount and that I have to buy for the full price...
Everywhere I turn, prices for apps are going up. No more cheap lunches out there.

Reactions: dinosaur07

Thread author
Anymore official site to purchase personal license?
The last I saw from Granite Appguard (Not change to Granite Secure) it seems they doesnt offer anymore Appguard?
https://granitesecure.com/

The Granite AppGuard product line has been discontinued.

AppGuard Personal sales have been suspended for the foreseeable future. Notice that I did not say AppGuard Personal has been discontinued; I stated that the sale of the Personal version has been suspended.

For the consumer (non-commercial, home user) the available product is AppGuard Business.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You can buy something that they are calling Appguard personal
AppGuard Store
But the price, as well as what @Lockdown said, indicates that it is really the small business version.
Small business version is really the same as the personal version, except that the price is a little higher, and that they don't wanna give us no discounts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.