Solved Staying with Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Guys, I'm really confuse right now. I don't know if I will upgrade my pc to Windows 8 or I will just stick with Windows 7. W7 or W8??? :confused:

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014
So, what now guys? W7 or W8?

for me Win8 :)

( but why not both ? )

1720-ba-dum-tss.png

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Other then the security and speed enhancements, the only other reason to upgrade would be use of the modern apps, if you find you would not use these, then there is not much sense in upgrading from windows 7, as 7 is still a good stable strong OS.

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
seems people just blame Win8 for its UI without ever go deep inside it; i don't care of the UI, it is what is inside the OS that interest me; and for that Win8 beat Win7 dozen times.

simple comparison exercice with cars:

Win7 is a an old good Ford, you are used to it , it works well , you have the basic seatbelt & airbags, you don't have many issues and if you like tuning, you have plenty of garage with compatible pieces. The only "problem" is that it accelerate a bit slow and uses lot of gasoline.

Now Win8 is the brand new Porsche, it is faster , stronger , use less gasoline , accelerate in a blink of an eye; you have seatbelt, airbags, collision alarm, ABS breaks, reinforced structueres, etc... the only problem is that you don't like its appearance and your old tuning pieces can't work well in this version.

what you choose?
Windows 8 is like a brand 'new Porche':eek: that saves gas??!! Now, that's what I want!!!o_O Wait a minute, ...that's what I am using:cool: right now!;):):p:D

for me Win8 :)

( but why not both ? )

1720-ba-dum-tss.png
That is my sentiment. '(but why not both? )' "Bu-Dum-Dum-Tssss";):p

Is it really recommended to have dual-boot?
..or how about installing the other on a separate computer someone no longer needs or wants?:) Actually, my wife wants her Windows 7, and I get to use her computer after she's finished & the battery is about to die.:rolleyes: Yes, Umbra's right.. I might like driving different cars, but so can YOU too!:cool::D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
What if I decided to install Windows 8, do I need to uninstall those programs that are not compatible with W8? I'm very paranoid when it comes to upgrading OS.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
I have CIS, Webroot, McShield, NVT Exe Radar installed as my first-line of defense. What should I remove?

I'm using Shadow Defender only for on-demand purposes. I've experienced a lot of problem with W8 but not with W8.1 since I didn't update my W8. I'm more of a gamer, so what's best for my PC W7 or W8?

I'm using HP touch-screen PC bro.

I'm a gamer too and I have Zero problems with Windows 8.1, I even noticed some better performances under 8 than 7 in some games, I have a touchscreen too and I'll never go back to seven, even if you give me money for that :p , win8.1 + touchscreen is the winner combo

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
What if I decided to install Windows 8, do I need to uninstall those programs that are not compatible with W8? I'm very paranoid when it comes to upgrading OS.
On a serious note, I too have had problems initially with Windows 8. As time has passed, with it's numerous updates, 8.1 update 1 in particular, everything truly seems fine now. We're all a bit paranoid here changing our OS. Why don't you go ahead, and take the leap?;) There are friends & members here to catch you in the event all does not go well. But, if I were a betting man, I would place my money on you, and the fact everything will probably work out well!:)
I'm a gamer too and I have Zero problems with Windows 8.1, I even noticed some better performances under 8 than 7 in some games, I have a touchscreen too and I'll never go back to seven, even if you give me money for that :p , win8.1 + touchscreen is the winner combo
@SifhX, I loved your last sentence! ..but wouldn't it be Great if we were all given money for going forward & upgrading, instead?:p

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. :) Anyways, should I remove CIS before installing Windows 8? I'm just creating a system image then I'm ready to set.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
My recommendations:

If you have an Windows 7 system running with no problems then don't upgrade. Most of the issues that Windows 8 users are having problems with were updated from previous Windows versions (Vista, 7).

I also don't recommend to reformat and install Windows 8.1 on an older system, although the hardware between Windows 7 & 8 are similar they are not always compatible. You can run into all kinds of problems.

If you decide to buy a completely new system, then get Windows 8.1.

Enjoy!! :D

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
My recommendations:

If you have an Windows 7 system running with no problems then don't upgrade. Most of the issues that Windows 8 users are having problems with were updated from previous Windows versions (Vista, 7).

I also don't recommend to reformat and install Windows 8.1 on an older system, although the hardware between Windows 7 & 8 are similar they are not always compatible. You can run into all kinds of problems.

If you decide to buy a completely new system, then get Windows 8.1.

@King Mellow, I must say this. If Littlebits was warning me, I'd probably hold off for now. I didn't take into account your hardware or past system history. I feel like such a pancake (flip-flopping back & forth) but the fact that he (Littlebits) is definitely among those whom are considered Wise Oracles of MT, he's one of the ones I'd find myself turning to if all were to go South. *sigh*:(
you backup your sensitive datas and reformat C drive ! no way i install a new OS over a previous one. this leads to BSOD and crashes; not saying the cleaning of "windows.old" after
..and now Sir "Umbra Corp" has weighed in. King, tread carefully.
@Umbra Polaris, by 'reformat' do you mean to completely clear the OS 7 (or others) out first?
Update: I re-read both yours & Littlebits' posts. @King Mellow you've (1) Sith Lord & (1) Jedi Master whom are both telling you to stay away from the Death Star (BSOD) before you are:eek: caught in it's tractor beam!:oops:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
What will happen when you perform a clean install?

Thanks a lot guys for all the advices!

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
At first, my PC run smoothly with Windows 8 (Nov 2012-Jun 2013) until it messed up when I tried to mix different security softwares (caused a BSOD). I really miss Windows 8 so much. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
What will happen when you perform a clean install?

Thanks a lot guys for all the advices!
Clean install is when you completely wipe all data on your hard drive and install a new OS.

But if you have hardware that doesn't fully support the new OS that you are installing you can run into all kinds of problems.
I never recommend to do this with newer Windows OS since just a little difference can cause all kinds problems even failed Windows Updates.

I would hate to see you mess up a perfectly working Windows 7 and get an corrupted Windows 8.
I would not take this chance at all. On my main Desktop I will stay with Windows 7 since it runs without any problems.

Reactions: King Alpha
Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
At first, my PC run smoothly with Windows 8 (Nov 2012-Jun 2013) until it messed up when I tried to mix different security softwares (caused a BSOD). I really miss Windows 8 so much. :(
About 90% or more of the problems on Windows 8 is caused by third-party security products boot drivers.
Most third-party security products are still not fully compatible with Windows 8, that why I only recommend Windows default security features on Windows 8.

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
About 90% or more of the problems on Windows 8 is caused by third-party security products boot drivers.
Most third-party security products are sill not fully compatible with Windows 8, that why I only recommend Windows default security features on Windows 8.

I agree with Littlebits, & follow his prescription for a secure & light system!
@King Mellow I went back & looked at your configuration.
@Littlebits If King Mellow's system's hardware is relatively new, and if the real problem is the uninstalled AV third-party boot drivers, are they still be present, & would re-formatting (or system reset) solve the problems they represent? -Thanks Lb!;)

Last edited:
Reactions: King Alpha
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.