Solved Staying with Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Guys, I'm really confuse right now. I don't know if I will upgrade my pc to Windows 8 or I will just stick with Windows 7. W7 or W8??? :confused:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 7 SP1 will be supported until 2020.

As for "Windows 8 was meant for a phone", you're wrong. Windows 8 provides tablet, touch and desktop in a single OS. Look at Windows Phone 8, it's a rock solid platform for the Windows phone device.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
@Littlebits I will depend on you now sir, stay with Windows 7 or go with Windows 8/8.1?

Thanks a bunch, sir! :)
My gut instinct says you should stay with Windows 7 since it is already running without problems.
But if you do decide to upgrade then I recommend doing a clean install which would wipe all of the third-party boot drivers since they are almost impossible to remove manually. Backup your data that you want to keep first.

Also with Windows 7 you will be able to change your security setup without running into all the problems on Windows 8.

Enjoy!! :D

Upvote 0

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
My personal choice is Win8.1 with Update 1. If you are restoring your PC from factory image, I will advice not to. Most of the times factory image bundles crapware. Visit Microsoft and download the official ISO. Burn it to a CD/USB and give it a clean install. Install all the updates and patches including the spring update, and I'm pretty sure your Win8.1 wont have BSOD problems.

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
My personal choice is Win8.1 with Update 1. If you are restoring your PC from factory image, I will advice not to. Most of the times factory image bundles crapware. Visit Microsoft and download the official ISO. Burn it to a CD/USB and give it a clean install. Install all the updates and patches including the spring update, and I'm pretty sure your Win8.1 wont have BSOD problems.
That's what I did, I restored my PC from factory image then I reinstalled Windows 8. I have a Windows 8 CD here, can I use it instead of downloading the official ISO?

Upvote 0

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Is it the official Microsoft CD with Microsoft logo in it or its a CD from your computer manufacturer ? If its Windows 8 CD don't use it. Again you will have to upgrade it to Windows 8.1 which might break things.

These two links will help you to download and create official bootable media.
http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

If you have a Windows 8 key, you cannot install Windows8.1 directly. But there is a workaround. Read the below link
http://www.howtogeek.com/187525/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-8.1-with-a-windows-8-key/

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Why not install Windows 8 then after that just download the 8.1 from the store?

Upvote 0

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
I dont have any concrete reason for that. My assumption is whenever there is a huge update/patch things might break, which might not be true. But I try to keep it clean when I install an OS. I have read few comments here in MT, when people tried to update Win 8.1 to Update 1, windows update broke and got a BSOD.

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
If everything goes wrong, can I use the backup I made for Windows 7?

Upvote 0

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Nothing will go wrong if you install official Microsoft ISO.
If you are worried about something going wrong, then take a system image of Windows 7 using some imaging program.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I made a system image and also system repair disc for Win7. What if I installed Win8.1 and let's say something goes wrong, can I still use the system image to go back to Windows 7?

Upvote 0

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
What software did you use to take a system image ? Whatever be it, you have to create a recovery media and the image should be stored in external hard disk. If you are entirely new to all this, its good to have someone experienced with you before you do the upgrade.

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I didn't use any software, it's just the windows backup and restore. The image is about 300gb lol, luckily I have a 1TB external hdd. I haven't created recovery media yet coz I don't have DVD discs here. :(

Upvote 0

ams963

Level 1
Verified
Mar 14, 2013
Windows 8.1 Update 1 for me is the best... according to my needs. I don't have any software that is Windows 8.1 - incompatible.

8.1 is much faster than Windows 7, and more secure. I admit though that I seldom use the modern apps (I only have a netbook, screen resolution is too low. I have to temporarily hack my screen resolution just to use some modern apps).

I simply take advantage of 8.1's new robust features, like speed and security.

It depends now on how you use your computer. If you prefer good desktop experience, stick with 7.
Same here. By the way, how do you hack your screen resolution? I increase by a simple registry edit.

Upvote 0

ams963

Level 1
Verified
Mar 14, 2013
I didn't use any software, it's just the windows backup and restore. The image is about 300gb lol, luckily I have a 1TB external hdd. I haven't created recovery media yet coz I don't have DVD discs here. :(
I recommend Macrium Reflect for backup. You'll have a peace of mind. Solid program. You can create recovery media with it and the backed up images will be solid.:)

Reactions: King Alpha
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

If you do a clean install of Win8 followed by all windows updates then jump to win8.1 from the store (it include update 1) nothing should go wrong unless you have unknown hardware brands on your PC. It just take lot of time.

Reactions: King Alpha
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.