Solved Staying with Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Guys, I'm really confuse right now. I don't know if I will upgrade my pc to Windows 8 or I will just stick with Windows 7. W7 or W8??? :confused:

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
I will go with ams963.. Use Macrium free to create system image and you can create bootable media with a USB if you have one.

Reactions: ams963
Upvote 0

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Nothing should go with installing windows 8 and then upgrading to windows 8.1. But it will take lot of time, and if its a bad day for you something might break ;)
That;s why I gave you a link on how to install Windows 8.1 directly using Windows 8 key.

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
It's better to be safe than sorry. :) So, I'll stay with Windows 7 for now. I'll post a message here incase I changed my mind and install Windows 8. Thank you guys for all the tips and advices! It really means a lot to me.

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I'll probably installing Windows 8 today. :) Any tips guys? I'm kinda nervous lol

Upvote 0

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
LOL.. Just take a image of Win 7 using Macrium refect free. Store the image on external disk and create a bootable media. Then you can do whatever you want without any fear.. I wouldn't do any of this, bcos I have installed Win 8, 3-4 times and never had any problems..

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

I'll probably installing Windows 8 today. :) Any tips guys? I'm kinda nervous lol

just as i said:

1- save your sensitive datas in an ex-HDD
2- do a backup image of your current system in ex-HDD.
3- check & download the Win8 drivers for your Hardwares (in case Win8 doesn't have them) and save them in ex-HDD.
4- do a clean install of Win8 (not the upgrade) by formating your C drive (option for it will be shown during Pre-install)
5- after installation finished, do a backup with Windows Backup.
6- update Win8 with all windows updates available (in Optional Update tab , you may find some drivers for your hardwares, select them), you will have to do it to unlock Windows8.1 upgrade.
7- when updates finish, do a backup again.
8- now go to Windows Store apps and select Windows8.1 (long download, around 3.6 gb, and installation since the latest Win8.1 Update 1 is included in it)
9- do a backup
10- update Windows8.1 , you have some new updates lately.
11- do a backup
12- install your softs

this is how i do, i ask you to do a lot of backups because better restore from a safe installation than feel sorry and do all again from the start

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

ams963

Level 1
Verified
Mar 14, 2013
To avoid all this pain.. I gave you a link to directly install Win 8.1 using Win 8 key.. Use it if you like..

http://www.howtogeek.com/187525/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-8.1-with-a-windows-8-key/
I completely agree. Although it would be a good learning experience for him to upgrade to 8.1 from Win 8, following the simpler and easier method would encourage him to go for OS upgrades without fear and hesitation in the future because of so little labor that he had to bear now.:)

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
When doing a clean install do I need to delete all the partitions from the previous OS?

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for the quick response bro! What do you think is the best AV for W8/W8.1 that will not cause any conflicts?

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
lol Windows upgrade assistant said that "Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC. Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8." What does that mean?

Reactions: Ink
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You don't need Secure Boot to be able to use Windows 8.

TN - Secure Boot Overview (More Info)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824987.aspx

Do I need Secure Boot in order to upgrade to the latest version of Windows?

No. There are no additional hardware requirements from Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Secure Boot is an optional feature that can be activated by a PC manufacturer to enhance the security of a PC, and you’ll find it on all new logo-certified Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows® 8 and Windows RT PCs.​

Upvote 0

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Thanks for the quick response bro! What do you think is the best AV for W8/W8.1 that will not cause any conflicts?
All major AV's play well with Windows 8.. Go with what you are comfortable with.. What I like, may not suit your taste. That said, for free AV, I recommend Avira, Panda, Bitdefender, Avast, AVG(in order) and for paid, ESET, Emsisoft, Kaspersky..

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You're welcome. In response to your Antivirus query for Windows 8. I would recommend trying Windows Defender for a few days* (especially before installing 3rd party drivers). There are no known conflicts between Windows 8 and Windows Defender - good right? :D The initial Quick Scan may take a minute or two, but following scans take less than 20 seconds.

If you're upgrading from 8 to 8.1 Update 1 via Windows Store, note the OS changes slightly in the way it uses Search on Start Screen. I also found Search on 8.1 slower than on 8. So you may want to research the Windows Search and Indexing and how it works.
I previously have used Search Everything (VoidTools) for finding files on the PC. Small, light and effective. Portable version also available and can turn off background services for on-demand use.
http://www.voidtools.com

*and no, you won't get infected by using WD only.

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
All major AV's play well with Windows 8.. Go with what you are comfortable with.. What I like, may not suit your taste. That said, for free AV, I recommend Avira, Panda, Bitdefender, Avast, AVG(in order) and for paid, ESET, Emsisoft, Kaspersky..
What about CIS bro? :)

You're welcome. In response to your Antivirus query for Windows 8. I would recommend trying Windows Defender for a few days* (especially before installing 3rd party drivers). There are no known conflicts between Windows 8 and Windows Defender - good right? :D The initial Quick Scan may take a minute or two, but following scans take less than 20 seconds.

If you're upgrading from 8 to 8.1 Update 1 via Windows Store, note the OS changes slightly in the way it uses Search on Start Screen. I also found Search on 8.1 slower than on 8. So you may want to research the Windows Search and Indexing and how it works.
I previously have used Search Everything (VoidTools) for finding files on the PC. Small, light and effective. Portable version also available and can turn off background services for on-demand use.
http://www.voidtools.com

*and no, you won't get infected by using WD only.
Why is it slower than 8's Search? Thanks again sir. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.