App Review Stop using Norton and McAfee - Endermanch

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Enderman

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021

The video is from 2021, but I came across it today.
In this video, Endermanch shows how pop-up ads can trick you into thinking you are infected, only to redirect you to a fake scan and dispatch you to Norton & McAfee...
It's chilling...
(It works if you don't have Adblocker and if you are infected by adware)

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Its worth to remember that its not actually Norton or McAfee doing this, instead its affiliates with malicious intent, its still shady they allow this to continue.

Yep. It is very often from ill-intentioned advertising agencies, but the reputation of these 2 behemoths of security can take a blow...

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I'm not specifically talking about those two products but I am at a point where I would barely recommend any third-party AV to people I care about. A vast majority of the AV companies are getting worse than actual malware nowadays. The AV industry is definitely not as trustworthy as it used to be.

F

ForgottenSeer 93475

McAfee has been dead for a long time
Norton is trying to dominate the market by buying other security companies Instead of developing protection yet it gets worse and no one forgets that he added mining to the program

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yeah, here is something discovered in my Spam folder. Just another example
Its worth to remember that its not actually Norton or McAfee doing this, instead its affiliates with malicious intent, its still shady they allow this to continue.
Yep. :rolleyes:

nortonphish.PNG

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
The only "Danger your sub runs out" scams I have in my inbox are from people selling Norton/Mc Afee. If you seem to be one of two company's having that amount of affiliates scam you are part of the problem.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Interesting video. But, the title should be "Start using Norton and McAfee". If one has installed both AVs, then these Ads will not be a problem.:)
But seriously, the video title has nothing to do with the video content.

I used the below URL in Edge:
edge://serviceworker-internals/
with interesting results.:unsure:

Last edited:

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Interesting video. But, the title should be "Start using Norton and McAfee". If one has installed both AVs, then these Ads will not be a problem.:)
But seriously, the video title has nothing to do with the video content.

I used the below URL in Edge:
edge://serviceworker-internals/
with interesting results.:unsure:
Clickbait is unreasonably effective. Just posted this in Lounge chat :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.