Solved Strange problem with Windows Action Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

truoc

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
Hi all I am having a strange problem with Windows Action Center in Windows 8. When I first installed Windows 8 everything worked fine, but I've since tried a few different security products. I've had Avast 7 free on the computer, and Norton Security Suite (Norton 360 basically) on the computer not at the same time of course, but have decided to go back to default Windows defender that comes with Windows 8 even though I know it doesn't offer the best protection out there. Like I said I had Avast 7 free on the computer and when I uninstalled it I used the awsclear.exe file in safe mode to uninstall it. Then I chose to install Norton Security Suite because I get it free through Comcast. Didn't really have a problem with it, but want to go back to the default that came with Windows 8. So I uninstalled the Suite via Control Panel, restarted the computer then downloaded and ran the Norton Removal tool. Here is what is wrong. The windows action center reports that my antivirus protection is turned off which is correct because Norton turned off Defender like it is supposed to. The problem is that when I click Turn On Antivirus protection it doesn't turn it on, but instead opens the Windows\System32 folder. I am at a loss as to why it is doing this.

Things I have tried:
ran sfc /scannow via command prompt - no errors found
ran malwarebytes anti-rootkit - nothing found
ran tdss killer - nothing found
ran full scan of emsisoft antimalware - nothing found
ran full scan of eset online scanner - nothing found
tried the net stop mgmt command via command prompt to no avail

currently i'm running a scan with kaspersky rescue disk, but it would seem this isn't a virus issue (didn't think it was to begin with, but you never know). Anyone have any ideas or had something similar happen? I really don't want to have to reinstall Windows just to get Defender to work again. One thing I should note that is kind of odd is that every time I run Norton Removal tool it asks me to restart the computer. Does this mean it continues to find things and I should run it until it doesn't ask me to restart or is that normal behavior? I'm pretty much open to any and all suggestions at this point. Thanks for sticking with me and reading this.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I am surprised that Avast didnt create a restore point on install.I would go with avast 7 free it is excellent protection but it is AV protection only.Can you still turn on Windows Firewall since that would have been disabled by NIS also? If not you need to install a Firewall also.If I was going to use Avast 7 free I would install a 3rd part free Firewall anyway.I like Comodo and Zone Alarm.Umbra could probably tell you which one plays better with Avast 7

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

You like HIPS in Firewalls: Comodo, Online Armor, etc...

You like pure Firewall: Zone Alarm

Upvote 0

truoc

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
White Nobster said:
I am surprised that Avast didnt create a restore point on install.I would go with avast 7 free it is excellent protection but it is AV protection only.Can you still turn on Windows Firewall since that would have been disabled by NIS also? If not you need to install a Firewall also.If I was going to use Avast 7 free I would install a 3rd part free Firewall anyway.I like Comodo and Zone Alarm.Umbra could probably tell you which one plays better with Avast 7

Well I installed Avast 7 free and it shows in Action Center that the Network firewall is on.

Upvote 0

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
You like HIPS in Firewalls: Comodo, Online Armor, etc...

You like pure Firewall: Zone Alarm

Has the comodo-Avast problem been solved ???
i m talking about Avast web shield.

Upvote 0

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
yes, if you use latest Avast v7 version and comodo v5.12 or v6 beta

Ahhh i really need to update myself, was desperate to try them :p
you must have already done that so any tips :D

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

no particular tips, just install and set exclusions on every avast settings you have (RT, BB, etc...).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.