Other
Fav. Mobile OS
Android
Fav. Desktop OS
Windows

Kondinator

Thread author
Nov 16, 2020
I just found this website and it looks like it could be alot of help for me, as im writing my bachelors, im writing about Virustotal and how it handles malware, and how the people who write malware tries to obfuscate their code.

so im trying to get my hands on as new malware as possible so i have a higher chance of VT not having it reported already.

Im wondering if my access to these malware samples are limited because im new? or if this site is only for posting the reports from various AV.

any suggestions/feedback are very welcome.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I just found this website and it looks like it could be alot of help for me, as im writing my bachelors, im writing about Virustotal and how it handles malware, and how the people who write malware tries to obfuscate their code.

so im trying to get my hands on as new malware as possible so i have a higher chance of VT not having it reported already.

Im wondering if my access to these malware samples are limited because im new? or if this site is only for posting the reports from various AV.

any suggestions/feedback are very welcome.
What do you know about code obfuscation already?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Welcome to MWTips and thanks for joining ! hope You enjoy our community ! :giggle:

Feel free to read the forum rules: Code of Conduct

To access malware packs tested in Hub You need to apply to be a tester, but in many threads in this forum have been posted many times some public URLs sties/services where You can find malware, such as Any.run, MalwareBazaar , etc.

Kondinator

Thread author
Nov 16, 2020
Welcome to MWTips and thanks for joining ! hope You enjoy our community ! :giggle:

Feel free to read the forum rules: Code of Conduct

To access malware packs tested in Hub You need to apply to be a tester, but in many threads in this forum have been posted many times some public URLs sties/services where You can find malware, such as Any.run, MalwareBazaar , etc.
Thank you for the warm welcome!

And thank you for the info

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Welcome to MalwareTips!

Getting access to files on Virustotal is very expensive. Probably too expensive for a student. There are free malware sharing sites you can use, though. The one that helped me with my masters degree was VirusShare.com. Analysis sites like any.run can also be used to find and download interesting samples.

In my experience, if you tell people about your research, they are often willing to share samples or grant access you would otherwise not get. So if certain sites don't offer access for free accounts, ask them politely.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Welcome to MalwareTips!

Getting access to files on Virustotal is very expensive. Probably too expensive for a student. There are free malware sharing sites you can use, though. The one that helped me with my masters degree was VirusShare.com. Analysis sites like any.run can also be used to find and download interesting samples.

In my experience, if you tell people about your research, they are often willing to share samples or grant access you would otherwise not get. So if certain sites don't offer access for free accounts, ask them politely.
Yes, when I was a student, VirusTotal provided me with a temporary access so I can do an assignment of mine. They just asked my university to confirm that I have an assignment of this sort. Any.run is a great place as well. You can get not only malicious samples, but malicious domains. You can then use VirusTotal to look up the domain and have a look at the relations. This will often lead to more and more malware. Hybrid Analyses is another place that just requires a work/student email. All samples are analysed in-depth and the att&ck matrix is present as well, so you know what to expect, before proceeding to any further analyses.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.