Advice Request Suggestions to build security configuration/ hygiene practices for new Macbook Air M1

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashish1+1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 29, 2016
My close relative have recently purchased 8GB memory and 256 GB storage- Macbook Air M1 ( experience level- student/ beginner and new to mac) and have asked me for few security configurations- antivirus and anti-malware/ recommended apps ( third party installations for routine tasks) and suggestions on basic hygiene practices for security or privacy for longevity, browser and its add-ons, maintenance tools etc possibly non- commercial but trustworthy etc. Being a native windows user would request to call upon experts for help which I would further aggregate and assist with the learning curve.

Have taken note on tools- Objective-See (Thanks @Ink for sharing)

Would be grateful for your valuable opinions/ experiences. Thank you for the reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sorrento

Ashish1+1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 29, 2016
Download apps from the official app store. Patch when security fixes are released. Install adblocker in Safari. Maybe install Little Snitch. That's it.
Thanks @Zero Knowledge @jerzy601. I think Adguard for Mac would be good :unsure: choice for adblocker.

1. XProtect is a decent protection option along with CleanMyMac X. Other free options that were suggested- Malwarebytes and Avast
2. Enable Firewall
3. Work on day to day basis on Non- admin account
4. Browser- Safari and Firefox ( request for suggested addons for privacy and security)
5. Any suggestion for pdf editor for Mac ? Possibly free..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.