Battle SUMo Pro vs Patch My PC Updater

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I greatly prefer Patch My PC, because it can download and silently install program updates. On the other hand, SUMo doesn't handle the updates itself, it just provides a link to the software's download page.

Aside from how they handle updates, a big difference between the two programs, is that SUMo can find updates for many more programs that Patch My PC does. There is reason for this. It's easy to provide a download link for software, but takes a bit of work to be able to actually download and silently install the updates. As a result, all software updaters that handle the updates themselves, have a fairly limited range of software they can update.

thrillskr

Level 2
Verified
Dec 28, 2018
@Kyle_Katarn does Sumo /Dumo Pro has a auto update option or something similar or only provide a installation link?

This i find on your website:

Automatic self-update (PRO only)
  • Direct access to software developer's web site (PRO only)
SUMo PRO adds automatic self-update & direct update access capabilities to SUMo.

Auto update the Sumo application or all supported apps?

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I'm quite a fan of SUMO - I used the free version for some time but now use the pay version, IMHO it's worth every penny, I check it every couple of days & most of the time it's accurate. The rare time it's picked a beta up I inform them & I get a 'fixed' mail back. I've actually tried all updater(s) & I have found at the risk of sounding like I've been bribed love SUM - Also I find it has the largest software database I've found.

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
I'm quite a fan of SUMO - I used the free version for some time but now use the pay version, IMHO it's worth every penny, I check it every couple of days & most of the time it's accurate. The rare time it's picked a beta up I inform them & I get a 'fixed' mail back. I've actually tried all updater(s) & I have found at the risk of sounding like I've been bribed love SUM - Also I find it has the largest software database I've found.

Thank you very much, very nice feedback :)

For information SUMo 5.9.5 has just been released.... time for update :)

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Thank you very much !
May I know to key reason for which you consider SUMo as a better product to keep your system up to date and safe ?
I prefer semi-automatic updates. SUMo satisfies that for me. Often when SUMo shows an available update for a program that has a builtin updater (for example, Evernote), I'll use SUMo to launch the program (ex., Evernote) and run its internal updater. Otherwise, I'll use the vendor's download site linked by SUMo to pull the current update.

When I've used other updaters, they often combine the download and update launch which can cause problems. Two that come to mind are...
  1. Sometimes they install the 32-bit program version when I'm using the 64-bit program. Then I'm forced to uninstall the 32-bit version and seek out the 64-bit installer.
  2. Sometimes they install the updated program to the wrong partition. Generally, I use D:\Program Files\* for non-OS programs, and then I discover that the updater program chose the C:\Program Files\ folder for its default.
Both happen far too frequently with certain updaters.

My major gripe with SUMo is many times the "update" is actually a "beta"... which I've unselected in my settings... or some "specialized" micro release that is unfindable, such as this one...

WNzkcAe.png

vertigo

Level 2
Verified
Mar 18, 2018
*laughs in Chocolatey.

I'll assume this is meant as a "I'm using Chocolatey and laughing at you for using inferior products" statement. If that's the case, I'll just say this: I've tried all three, and while SUMo and PatchMyPC are both very limited and have poor support, they at least seem to work without any major issues. Conversely, Chocolatey, which is much broader, has many, many issues and support isn't much better. I've wasted a LOT of time on it, first in getting various things working, then in actually doing installs, only to have it break and be rendered useless, leaving me now with having to remove it, and all the programs, then reinstall them all and manage them in another way, hence my dilemma with using SUMo and/or PatchMyPC.

So for anyone thinking about trying Chocolatey as an alternative, I won't say don't do it, but don't expect a miracle solution, and be prepared for lots of headache and possible total failure (and certainly lots and lots of smaller failures).

vertigo

Level 2
Verified
Mar 18, 2018
I don't use Wilders, since it wouldn't let me post a while back and there was no way to contact support. I tried KC Software's forum, but it wouldn't even let me register, including several weeks after I emailed to notify them of the problem, which they weren't interested in fixing, further demonstrated by the fact that it wasn't fixed between attempts. To his credit, both times I emailed, Kyle responded, but then, both times, I never heard back after I replied. And it's been three months since I reported an issue (not a bug, but still a problem with the program) and it hasn't been addressed. And there are other issues I would report, but why. Just very unimpressive overall for a product they want people to pay for. I'm sure others have had better luck; I'm just stating my own experiences. Personally, I'm leaning toward doing as others have said above: using PatchMyPC first then SUMo to see what's left and dealing with those manually. But considering how little SUMo actually does, the problems I've noticed with it, and the relatively poor support, I certainly wouldn't pay for it.

The real point of my post, though, was to caution those considering using Chocolatey, not against using it necessarily, but to not do as I did and invest heavily in it. I've set up two computers to varying degrees with it, and now have to rebuild them without because it just doesn't work well or, in the case of one of the computers, completely broke, with no real solution.

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
SUMo fills a unique gap for me.
I have a number of folders with loads of portable programs. I include the folders I want and SUMo will let me know if there are any updates.

PatchMyPC is very neat - use that also, but does not have that same coverage.
Great at updating installed programs though.

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
SUMo fills a unique gap for me.
I have a number of folders with loads of portable programs. I include the folders I want and SUMo will let me know if there are any updates.

PatchMyPC is very neat - use that also, but does not have that same coverage.
Great at updating installed programs though.
Any good large scale endpoint like patch management software as a freeware/open-source?

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Kyle (Sumo) provides excellent support on the Sumo thread at Wilders, usually if some one reports a bug its fixed within hours. I'm sure he could or does, provide the same here.

Thanks !

Any good large scale endpoint like patch management software as a freeware/open-source?

Try SUMo with the SUMo Online dashboard

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
An issue w/Thunderbird. Even though v78 is not yet released to update v68, v78 is treated as "official release", so running on v68, all we get are v78 announcements unless Thunderbird itself alerts us to an update. This is frustrating, as v78 is not ready for the masses, and had very limited (and buggy) extension support.

Also, my O&O updates are whacked because SUMo uses a referral link, which is blocked by mots ad-blockers. I guess this is a way to suck up to their partners, while nixing their user base.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.