Battle SUMo Pro vs Patch My PC Updater

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I greatly prefer Patch My PC, because it can download and silently install program updates.
On the other hand, SUMo doesn't handle the updates itself, it just provides a link to the software's download page.
PatchMyPC - updater
Sumo - update notifier

I use PatchMyPC + WRT + Softpedia's Notifier, it emails me the same link as Sumo, so I do not need to run another app to check for updates daily.

Attachments

• capture_08302020_193039.jpg
    capture_08302020_193039.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 526

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
An issue w/Thunderbird. Even though v78 is not yet released to update v68, v78 is treated as "official release", so running on v68, all we get are v78 announcements unless Thunderbird itself alerts us to an update. This is frustrating, as v78 is not ready for the masses, and had very limited (and buggy) extension support.

Also, my O&O updates are whacked because SUMo uses a referral link, which is blocked by mots ad-blockers. I guess this is a way to suck up to their partners, while nixing their user base.

Same solution here : if you want to stay on v68, just make v78 notification "silent" using the "skip" feature.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I use PatchMyPC on a check once every 20 days and manually I use RuckZuck.. Portable and free! RuckZuck Software Package Manager for Windows
I've never heard of RuckZuck before. I just ran it and it found several updates which were missed by Patch My PC. It was easy to select what programs I wanted to update, but I later found that I can right click and ignore specific updates. I'm using a giveaway version of PowerISO which has a license that is only valid for the version I had installed, so I needed to skip that program. The first time I ran it, it was only able to download and install a single update, as it failed to download the other updates. However, when I ran it a second time it was able to download and install the other updates.

RuckZuck.png

I like this a lot, because like Patch My PC, it downloads and silently installs the updates. For those who've never tried it before, I highly recommend it.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I've never heard of RuckZuck before. I just ran it and it found several updates which were missed by Patch My PC.

I like this a lot, because like Patch My PC, it downloads and silently installs the updates. For those who've never tried it before, I highly recommend it.
(y) That is why I use it as a secondary updater!

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
PatchMyPC - updater
Sumo - update notifier
(y)
For me SUMo is primarily (but not only) useful as an update notifier for my large library of portables (will give portable RuckZuck a whirl! 😀).
There is occasional misreporting (e.g. betas), but trivial to just skip or ignore. I update these manually.

For installed software (on their respective lists), the only automatic updaters I trust are Ninite Updater:
and PatchMyPC which is equally reliable, with cool silent updates.

Edit: Apologies, I've posted similar here before (post #16).

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Same and I was shocked, that MS does not even bother to update the inbuilt OneDrive. Imagine the vulnerabilities when backing up sensitive files. :cautious:
OneDrive does auto-update, but if not (yet), due to server load-balancing, PatchMyPC would surely have picked it up?
I also saw that update but due to the above, I suspect the version highlighted by RuckZuck may be a pre-release version?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Same and I was shocked, that MS does not even bother to update the inbuilt OneDrive. Imagine the vulnerabilities when backing up sensitive files. :cautious:
OneDrive just updated yesterday, I know cause I looked at a spike of disk usage in Task Manager and saw OneDrive installer running. I think MS does update in batches (just like Win10). I wish they and Google (for Google Drive) would put a manual "check for update" in their apps.
PS I am on insider build of Win10 20H2

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
OneDrive does auto-update, but if not (yet), due to server load-balancing, PatchMyPC would surely have picked it up?
PatchMyPC does not contain it. By the way there are 2 versions, Windows and Store. Store version would auto-update, not sure about Windows one? :unsure:

Attachments

• capture_08312020_141747.jpg
    capture_08312020_141747.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 492
Reactions: mlnevese

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.