Deprecated SUMo v5.x is now End of Life (Oct 31, 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
SUMo - 5.17.9 ( Released 2023-08-06 )
=====================================

0007370: [Refactoring] Wrong version reported for AMD Software (Kyle_Katarn)
0007338: [Refactoring] Wrong version reported for "Thonny (64 bits) by Aivar Annamaa" (Kyle_Katarn)
0007346: [Refactoring] "tp-link" company name rationalization (Kyle_Katarn)
0007348: [Bug] MikTeX (64 bits) - Wrong version being reported (Kyle_Katarn)
0007364: [Refactoring] "HitPaw" company name rationalization (Kyle_Katarn)
0007369: [Refactoring] "Disc Soft" company name rationalization (Kyle_Katarn)
0007367: [Refactoring] AOL_Edition_for_Firefox.exe to be filtered out (Kyle_Katarn)
0007363: [Bug] Incorrect management of some 32/64 applications from PortableApps.com (Kyle_Katarn)

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
SUMo - 5.17.10 ( Released 2023-08-18 )
======================================

0007371: [Refactoring] Wrong version reported for AMD Software (follow up of 0007370) (Kyle_Katarn)
0007373: [Refactoring] OCCT company name rationalization (Kyle_Katarn)
0007375: [Refactoring] "Hyperionics Technology" company name rationalization (Kyle_Katarn)
0007374: [Refactoring] Wrong version reported for "Thonny (64 bits) by Aivar Annamaa" (follow up of 0007338) (Kyle_Katarn)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
On their website:

Termination notice​

KC Softwares activities are to be terminated by end of October 2023.
All products are to be considered as End-Of-Life (EOL) on October 31st 2023.
Sales are stopped.
@Kyle_Katarn can you tell us more?

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Thank you for this very positive feedback.

While SUMo was an "aged" product, based on technology from 2 decades ago, I'm confident that the developper's community will soon come with a better, more modern, future-proof alternative.

Of course I could quote one of the many good updaters on the market : UCheck, PatchMyPC, WingetUI, UpdateHub, Chocolatey, Scoop and certainly more.

I hope you all enjoyed SUMo and other software over the past years.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Thank you for this very positive feedback.

While SUMo was an "aged" product, based on technology from 2 decades ago, I'm confident that the developper's community will soon come with a better, more modern, future-proof alternative.

Of course I could quote one of the many good updaters on the market : UCheck, PatchMyPC, WingetUI, UpdateHub, Chocolatey, Scoop and certainly more.

I hope you all enjoyed SUMo and other software over the past years.
Thanks for your service. I've been a happy SUMo user for years! Finding an alternative to this great product would not be easy. Which one out of these would you recommend?

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Thanks for your service. I've been a happy SUMo user for years! Finding an alternative to this great product would not be easy. Which one out of these would you recommend?
No specific recommendation for the time being but several candidates to be assessed : UCheck, VulnDetect, PatchMyPC, WingetUI, UpdateHub, Chocolatey, Scoop and certainly more.
I'm sure people on this forum will help to determine what's the best option. And i'm sure new developpers will someday come with something new and even better !

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
No specific recommendation for the time being but several candidates to be assessed : UCheck, VulnDetect, PatchMyPC, WingetUI, UpdateHub, Chocolatey, Scoop and certainly more.
I'm sure people on this forum will help to determine what's the best option. And i'm sure new developpers will someday come with something new and even better !
I specifically wanted one that can scan portable installations for updates. This is something that I've seen only in SUMo. I haven't tested lots of other alternatives though.

Cheers!

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

@Kyle_Katarn
I may publish a modified version of SUMo allowing use of a "customer" server address + a "stub" of the server implementation (php interface and SQL data model). This could allow a 3rd party company or individual to make the "current" SUMo still working. Would it make sense to the community

With best Regards
Mops21

Reactions: Keyang556

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Hi all

@Kyle_Katarn
I may publish a modified version of SUMo allowing use of a "customer" server address + a "stub" of the server implementation (php interface and SQL data model). This could allow a 3rd party company or individual to make the "current" SUMo still working. Would it make sense to the community

With best Regards
Mops21
Not sure to be possible because of the tight coupling between various modules, client/server protocol coupling and ... deprecated current PHP7 implementation. Not to be taken for granted.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Did anyone try VulnDetect or UpdateHub ?
These seem quite recent and modern... any feedback ?
I just tried both. UpdateHub found 10 updates, while SUMo found 26. I couldn't get VulnDetect to work. The web interface finds no applications, so it's got no list of apps to check for updates to. Maybe someone else will have better luck with it. The following is the results of a number of different software updaters.

IObit Software Updater9
Patch My PC5
Software Informer11
Software Update Pro (Glarysoft)2
Systweak Software Updater4
SUMo26
WingetUI18/14
To explain the two figures for WingetUI, Winget was unable to determine the version of four of the found apps, so the updates may or may not be needed for those apps.

Anyway, thanks for all your work on SUMo over the years and best of luck for your future endeavours. While I prefer apps which can install the found updates, the results show once again, that SUMo's approach allows it to find much more updates than any alternatives.

Last edited:

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
While SUMo will be greatly missed (especially the precious scanning feature) I might migrate to Ketarin. A huge amount of time will be required to set up all the software which I want to be monitored, but there is no other way.

Thanks, Kyle, for all your work and dedication, and I wish you best of luck in your future endeavors.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I just tried both. UpdateHub found 10 updates, while SUMo found 26. I couldn't get VulnDetect to work. The web interface finds no applications, so it's got no list of apps to check for updates to. Maybe someone else will have better luck with it. The following is the results of a number of different software updaters.

IObit Software Updater9
Patch My PC5
Software Informer11
Software Update Pro (Glarysoft)2
Systweak Software Updater4
SUMo26
WingetUI18/14
To explain the two figures for WingetUI, Winget was unable to determine the version of four of the found apps, so the updates may or may not be needed for those apps.

Anyway, thanks for all your work on SUMo over the years and best of luck for your future endeavours. While I prefer apps which can install the found updates, the results show once again, that SUMo's approach allows it to find much more updates than any alternatives.
Try Ucheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.