Deprecated SUMo v5.x is now End of Life (Oct 31, 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
WingetUI is the only alternative that I found to be user friendly and provides the most updates. That might be the one I migrate to.

@roger_m is there a way in WingetUI to scan for updates of portable installations?

Someone posted about Ketarin in this thread. I might look at that one too.

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
While SUMo will be greatly missed (especially the precious scanning feature) I might migrate to Ketarin. A huge amount of time will be required to set up all the software which I want to be monitored, but there is no other way.

Thanks, Kyle, for all your work and dedication, and I wish you best of luck in your future endeavors.
I use Ketarin where possible, but isn't it also EOL? (no update since Nov 2019.
Re portables: Where these exist in Portableapps or SyMenu they may be kept updated, but only SUMo could inform of updates where these do not exist there.
EmsiSoft complained, but I just tried MajorGeeks Software Updater (again). It let me know (ironically) that UCheck update was available, so MSU may be my only option now.
Kyle - maybe you can ask Adlice (developer of UCheck) if he'd like to add your string to his bow? I'd pay for it then! ;)

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I just did another test to see how many apps on my PC various updaters support.

IObit Software Updater23
Patch My PC16
Systweak Software Updater17
UCheck12
The other ones I tested previously don't show the number of supported apps installed.

Last edited:

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
I use Ketarin where possible, but isn't it also EOL? (no update since Nov 2019.
Re portables: Where these exist in Portableapps or SyMenu they may be kept updated, but only SUMo could inform of updates where these do not exist there.
EmsiSoft complained, but I just tried MajorGeeks Software Updater (again). It let me know (ironically) that UCheck update was available, so MSU may be my only option now.
Kyle - maybe you can ask Adlice (developer of UCheck) if he'd like to add your string to his bow? I'd pay for it then! ;)
Already positive discussion with @Tigzy in particular here : UCheck - Update your software in 2 clicks
UCheck may be progressively bridging the gap !

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Last edited:

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
WingetUI gets my vote so far but UCheck has improved a bit too.. neither are as good as SUMo though. If either could capture the portable apps then that would go to the top of my list for sure (SUMo appeared to do so by checking shortcuts in the start menu & on the desktop).

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012

eXDj

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
where you see 27.0.8041.0 ???
the program still looks wrong, I think I will uninstall it because anyway there are 30 days left and it doesn't work anymore !
did you find something similar?

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Even with the "lifetime" license I preferred to use SUMo's "Run" feature to allow my apps to update themselves. Of the alternative updaters (UCheck, etc) I don't see this. I'm not keen on downloading updates from "random" sources.

Nice to retire wealthy and healthy. Congrats Kyle!

UPDATE... Not at all impressed with UCheck. It identified 120 programs for which 16 are supported. It offered to update Firefox and Thunderbird, but only succeeded in uninstalling both (yes, I imaged just before unleashing this "malware"). As well, it installed Microsoft Edge Webview (whatever unwelcome thing that was) which was not indicated for installation. What an unmitigated disaster! Off to the 💩 bin you go, UCheck.

Nothing compares to SUMo. It may have an antiquated UI, but it works! And covers most all of my programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: eXDj
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.