Software
SUPERAntiSpyware Free
Installation
2.00 star(s)
Installation Feedback
The installation is pretty simple. However, at a moment it recommands you Google Chrome, which is obviously THE worst browser here for privacy and security. This is already bad.
At the end of the installation, they ask you for your email address (for some newsletter I guess) and we get to set 2 options, basically checking for updates after the installation is complete and to "Submit a system diagnostic to help identify potentially harmful software".
And finally, we get a pop-up for the Pro trial, EVEN if you downloaded the Free version.
Interface (UI)
4.00 star(s)
Interface Feedback
Not too bad, however the Preferences button is "hidden" in the big System Tools button (I'm saying "hidden" because it's like a less accessible way to get to the Preferences).
Usability
4.00 star(s)
Usability Feedback
The product is rather easy-to-use, but I do keep in mind that it has too much features than it needs.
It also has an ad at the bottom of the main page of the software, and a "24/7 Tech Support" pop-up that shows at a set interrval.
Performance and System Impact
5.00 star(s)
Performance and System Impact Feedback
For performance, this is an excellent software. It's light on resources and it doesn't seem to have any performance impact.
Protection
3.00 star(s)
Protection Feedback
I didn't test the real-time protection (Pro feature only), but I did test other things like malware deletion and the amount of malware it detects.
Compared to Malwarebytes, it's complete s****. First, on a 50 Rogue AVs pack, it detected ~30, while Malwarebytes detects them all. And, the most hilarious thing, is malware deletion a.k.a "SUPERDelete". It's so bad that, even if the files aren't used, it can't even delete them. I tried the software in safe mode, none of the Rogue AVs were running, but the software was unable to delete the files.
However, the scanner does detect tracking cookies (AdwCleaner can also detect them, but that's something you should notice).
Pros
It's a free software
Low impact on system resources
Lightning fast scans
Easy to use
Works alongside other antivirus software
Virus signatures are updated very often
Well designed, clear interface
Cons
Short on configuration options
Antivirus capabilities are average at best
Weak protection against zero-day threats
Limited web protection
Lots of popups when running
Includes links to paid-for components
Nags about purchasing other version
Software installed on computer
Less than 30 days
Computer Specifications
QEMU/KVM Virtual Machine (using virt-manager) on Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS.
VM specs :
Intel Core i7 9xx Nehalem, IBRS update
Integrated graphics
2 GB RAM DDR3
~40 GB SATA HDD
Windows 7 SP1 x64
Overall Rating
2.00 star(s)
Disclaimer

Any views or opinions expressed are that of the member giving the information and may be subjective.
This software may behave differently on your device.

We encourage you to compare these opinions with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
Before buying a product you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

B

BVLon

Hmmm... why do I feel you've been inspired by my "Comodo Internet Security. Or lack of such" post... haha
Nevertheless, who's using SAS nowadays... I forgot it exists... it was very advanced tool (once upon a time). Now it's useless, many others do the same and they do it better.

HarborFront

Level 49
Verified
Content Creator
SuperAntiSpywrae is not designed to be a full AV/AM. If you expect it to be a second-layer protection against serious threats then you'll be disappointed. And don't expect it to protect against dubious sites and downloads for it does not come with multiple layers of protection unlike a AV/AM

So testing malware against it like a AV/AM will definitely give disappointing result

It is more suited to detect lesser threats like stubborn adware, PUPs etc that the primary AV/AM might missed

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 26
Verified
Content Creator
It is more suited to detect lesser threats like stubborn adware, PUPs etc that the primary AV/AM might missed
But even for that, it's terrible these days. Alternatives such as Malwarebytes and HitmanPro have much better detection rates. The only thing it is good at detecting is tracking cookies.

SAS was excellent when it was first released, but not anymore.

Stopspying

Level 4
SUPERAntiSpyware, it still exists? :LOL:

Now one review or test for Spybot Search and Destroy :)
Yes, another blast from the past. Spybot's anti-Microsoft tracking software gets well rated by some, so it seems that they are still capable of making things work well. S&D was a useful part of peoples' online defences, now I cannot remember the last time that I saw it on anyone's computer. It may be a sign of age for me, but things seem to be getting replaced in the malware field faster and faster - SuperAntiSpyware and S&D among them.