SUPERAntiSpyware, or SHITAntiSpyware

Product name
SUPERAntiSpyware Free
Installation (rating)
2.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
Not too bad, however the Preferences button is "hidden" in the big System Tools button (I'm saying "hidden" because it's like a less accessible way to get to the Preferences).
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
I didn't test the real-time protection (Pro feature only), but I did test other things like malware deletion and the amount of malware it detects.
Compared to Malwarebytes, it's complete #####. First, on a 50 Rogue AVs pack, it detected ~30, while Malwarebytes detects them all. And, the most hilarious thing, is malware deletion a.k.a "SUPERDelete". It's so bad that, even if the files aren't used, it can't even delete them. I tried the software in safe mode, none of the Rogue AVs were running, but the software was unable to delete the files.
However, the scanner does detect tracking cookies (AdwCleaner can also detect them, but that's something you should notice).
Positives
    • Freeware
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Lightning fast scans
    • Easy to use
    • Compatible with other anti-virus software
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
Negatives
    • Short on configuration options
    • Antivirus capabilities are average at best
    • Weak protection against zero-day threats
    • Limited web protection
    • Lots of popups when running
    • Includes paid-for components (paywall)
    • Nags about purchasing other version
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
QEMU/KVM Virtual Machine (using virt-manager) on Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS.
VM specs :
Intel Core i7 9xx Nehalem, IBRS update
Integrated graphics
2 GB RAM DDR3
~40 GB SATA HDD
Windows 7 SP1 x64
Overall rating
2.00 star(s)
B

BVLon

Hmmm... why do I feel you've been inspired by my "Comodo Internet Security. Or lack of such" post... haha
Nevertheless, who's using SAS nowadays... I forgot it exists... it was very advanced tool (once upon a time). Now it's useless, many others do the same and they do it better.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
SuperAntiSpywrae is not designed to be a full AV/AM. If you expect it to be a second-layer protection against serious threats then you'll be disappointed. And don't expect it to protect against dubious sites and downloads for it does not come with multiple layers of protection unlike a AV/AM

So testing malware against it like a AV/AM will definitely give disappointing result

It is more suited to detect lesser threats like stubborn adware, PUPs etc that the primary AV/AM might missed

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It is more suited to detect lesser threats like stubborn adware, PUPs etc that the primary AV/AM might missed
But even for that, it's terrible these days. Alternatives such as Malwarebytes and HitmanPro have much better detection rates. The only thing it is good at detecting is tracking cookies.

SAS was excellent when it was first released, but not anymore.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
SUPERAntiSpyware, it still exists? :LOL:

Now one review or test for Spybot Search and Destroy :)
Yes, another blast from the past. Spybot's anti-Microsoft tracking software gets well rated by some, so it seems that they are still capable of making things work well. S&D was a useful part of peoples' online defences, now I cannot remember the last time that I saw it on anyone's computer. It may be a sign of age for me, but things seem to be getting replaced in the malware field faster and faster - SuperAntiSpyware and S&D among them.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Nick Skrepetos CEO and founder was regarded as a pretty good malwarehunter at one point. I dont know whether the acquisition of SASW by Support.com in 2011 has anything to do with it. It was used by most malware cleansing experts back in time (along with other apps). Personally I dont have good experience with it. But it was good to track down cookies.:LOL:

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Yea it turned into a joke. Anyone remember Lavasoft Ad-aware? Was the bomb in the early "dial" up days of the internet. And now also dead. (But don't worry we have Adware Antivirus now!) Hah! :ROFLMAO:

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
back in 2007 superantispyware was the software to have installed. how times have changed...
Yes indeed. But nowadays not just spying "cookies" and little drive by installers and browser add ons/hijack start page but way more serious and malicious viruses and ransomware!

Reactions: Amnesia and roger_m
May 14, 2020
Great review! Just looking at the name of the product and the UI and the website of it makes me think it's one of those scams like TotalAV or rogue antivirus software...

Stonehands

Aug 4, 2020
Yes, another blast from the past. Spybot's anti-Microsoft tracking software gets well rated by some, so it seems that they are still capable of making things work well. S&D was a useful part of peoples' online defences, now I cannot remember the last time that I saw it on anyone's computer. It may be a sign of age for me, but things seem to be getting replaced in the malware field faster and faster - SuperAntiSpyware and S&D among them.

If both of these are now outdated and useless, what are some alternatives?

Reactions: Stopspying

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.