Software
SUPERAntiSpyware Free
Installation
2.00 star(s)
Installation Feedback
The installation is pretty simple. However, at a moment it recommands you Google Chrome, which is obviously THE worst browser here for privacy and security. This is already bad.
At the end of the installation, they ask you for your email address (for some newsletter I guess) and we get to set 2 options, basically checking for updates after the installation is complete and to "Submit a system diagnostic to help identify potentially harmful software".
And finally, we get a pop-up for the Pro trial, EVEN if you downloaded the Free version.
Interface (UI)
4.00 star(s)
Interface Feedback
Not too bad, however the Preferences button is "hidden" in the big System Tools button (I'm saying "hidden" because it's like a less accessible way to get to the Preferences).
Usability
4.00 star(s)
Usability Feedback
The product is rather easy-to-use, but I do keep in mind that it has too much features than it needs.
It also has an ad at the bottom of the main page of the software, and a "24/7 Tech Support" pop-up that shows at a set interrval.
Performance and System Impact
5.00 star(s)
Performance and System Impact Feedback
For performance, this is an excellent software. It's light on resources and it doesn't seem to have any performance impact.
Protection
3.00 star(s)
Protection Feedback
I didn't test the real-time protection (Pro feature only), but I did test other things like malware deletion and the amount of malware it detects.
Compared to Malwarebytes, it's complete . First, on a 50 Rogue AVs pack, it detected ~30, while Malwarebytes detects them all. And, the most hilarious thing, is malware deletion a.k.a "SUPERDelete". It's so bad that, even if the files aren't used, it can't even delete them. I tried the software in safe mode, none of the Rogue AVs were running, but the software was unable to delete the files.
However, the scanner does detect tracking cookies (AdwCleaner can also detect them, but that's something you should notice).
Pros
  1. It's a free software
  2. Low impact on system resources
  3. Lightning fast scans
  4. Easy to use
  5. Works alongside other antivirus software
  6. Virus signatures are updated very often
  7. Well designed, clear interface
Cons
  1. Short on configuration options
  2. Antivirus capabilities are average at best
  3. Weak protection against zero-day threats
  4. Limited web protection
  5. Lots of popups when running
  6. Includes links to paid-for components
  7. Nags about purchasing other version
Software installed on computer
Less than 30 days
Computer hardware
QEMU/KVM Virtual Machine (using virt-manager) on Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS.
VM specs :
Intel Core i7 9xx Nehalem, IBRS update
Integrated graphics
2 GB RAM DDR3
~40 GB SATA HDD
Windows 7 SP1 x64
Overall Rating
2.00 star(s)
Disclaimer
  1. Any views or opinions expressed are that of the member giving the information and may be subjective.
    This software may behave differently on your device.

We encourage you to compare these opinions with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying a product you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Stopspying

Level 10
If both of these are now outdated and useless, what are some alternatives?
Malwarebytes AntiMalware often gets well rated as a secondary scanner, I use it. Zemana Antimalware and their AntiLogger were well-rated too, though these are not so well supported now, but some still use it as an alternative scanner, both to confirm anything flagged up elsewhere, or as an alternative scan. Hitman Pro (Free to try for 30 days) is liked by some people on MT.

Stonehands

I've been using Spybot until recently, it never flagged up much but every so often it would alert to new "Browser Profiles" with long random names that would sometimes appear. It would offer to block these which I would always do. So without Spybot will these not be blocked and are they a risk?

Stopspying

Level 10

"11 Best Free Spyware Removal Tools

Here are the best anti-spyware software programs out there today

by Tim Fisher
Updated on August 01, 2020"

"
SUPERAntiSpyware should be your very first pick if you want to get rid spyware that's already on your computer. It updates often, installs and scans quickly, and gives you complete control over what gets scanned."

I hope this is noted by those knocking Superantispyware here!! 'First pick'!!!!

I won't be taking this advice too seriously!

Attachments

• Superantispyware - 1st.png
    Superantispyware - 1st.png
    129 KB · Views: 76
hey, was this review of the free or pro. you said it offered you the pro trial on the free, but you didn't say if you took it or not. this is relevant, considering the pro has the AV engine in it, the free doesn't. i would be curious to see how well their AV engine does. (and i am wondering who they bought it off of, i'm wondering if it's bitdefender). they call the AV engine Pro X

edit: i see plat1098 said they are using the avira engine.