SUPERAntiSpyware, or SHITAntiSpyware

Product name
SUPERAntiSpyware Free
Installation (rating)
2.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
Not too bad, however the Preferences button is "hidden" in the big System Tools button (I'm saying "hidden" because it's like a less accessible way to get to the Preferences).
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
I didn't test the real-time protection (Pro feature only), but I did test other things like malware deletion and the amount of malware it detects.
Compared to Malwarebytes, it's complete #####. First, on a 50 Rogue AVs pack, it detected ~30, while Malwarebytes detects them all. And, the most hilarious thing, is malware deletion a.k.a "SUPERDelete". It's so bad that, even if the files aren't used, it can't even delete them. I tried the software in safe mode, none of the Rogue AVs were running, but the software was unable to delete the files.
However, the scanner does detect tracking cookies (AdwCleaner can also detect them, but that's something you should notice).
Positives
    • Freeware
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Lightning fast scans
    • Easy to use
    • Compatible with other anti-virus software
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
Negatives
    • Short on configuration options
    • Antivirus capabilities are average at best
    • Weak protection against zero-day threats
    • Limited web protection
    • Lots of popups when running
    • Includes paid-for components (paywall)
    • Nags about purchasing other version
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
QEMU/KVM Virtual Machine (using virt-manager) on Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS.
VM specs :
Intel Core i7 9xx Nehalem, IBRS update
Integrated graphics
2 GB RAM DDR3
~40 GB SATA HDD
Windows 7 SP1 x64
Overall rating
2.00 star(s)

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
If both of these are now outdated and useless, what are some alternatives?
Malwarebytes AntiMalware often gets well rated as a secondary scanner, I use it. Zemana Antimalware and their AntiLogger were well-rated too, though these are not so well supported now, but some still use it as an alternative scanner, both to confirm anything flagged up elsewhere, or as an alternative scan. Hitman Pro (Free to try for 30 days) is liked by some people on MT.

Stonehands

Aug 4, 2020
I've been using Spybot until recently, it never flagged up much but every so often it would alert to new "Browser Profiles" with long random names that would sometimes appear. It would offer to block these which I would always do. So without Spybot will these not be blocked and are they a risk?

Reactions: Cortex

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018

"11 Best Free Spyware Removal Tools

Here are the best anti-spyware software programs out there today

by Tim Fisher
Updated on August 01, 2020"

"
SUPERAntiSpyware should be your very first pick if you want to get rid spyware that's already on your computer. It updates often, installs and scans quickly, and gives you complete control over what gets scanned."

I hope this is noted by those knocking Superantispyware here!! 'First pick'!!!!

I won't be taking this advice too seriously!

Attachments

• Superantispyware - 1st.png
    Superantispyware - 1st.png
    129 KB · Views: 691

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
hey, was this review of the free or pro. you said it offered you the pro trial on the free, but you didn't say if you took it or not. this is relevant, considering the pro has the AV engine in it, the free doesn't. i would be curious to see how well their AV engine does. (and i am wondering who they bought it off of, i'm wondering if it's bitdefender). they call the AV engine Pro X

edit: i see plat1098 said they are using the avira engine.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.