New Update [Surfshark VPN] Started to Temporarily log partially and maybe long term IP.

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
So they changed the Terms Recently and started to Temporarily logging now as long as you are connected and 15 min after you disconnect

To prevent service abuse, our servers store your user ID and connection time stamps, but this information is automatically deleted within 15 minutes after termination of your session.

Link ( Simply search via CTRL+f "15 "

Also they started to log your IP + Device identifer in the apps which they refer in the Privacy policy as "Website"
When you visit our Website or navigate within our app (collectivelly referred to as ‘Website),

Also
Also, when you visit our Website, we may retain your IP address and a unique identifier of your device
mind you "Website" means their Website OR App as they explained.

Source

just search the lines I quoted sentences via CTRL + F to verify it yourself.

the Privacy policy this post is about was updated 25.08.2022

it could be that they worded the website and app thingy weird.
but then still the 15 min log / the log as long as your connected + 15 min still stays.

Last edited:

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
its even worse !

people report that CS told random customers that this ( 15 min log and stuff ) happened even before it was written down in the TOS and Privacy policy.

So bewarned , Surfshark doesnt follows its own TOS and privacy policys.

by this example they could start full logs anytime and not even reflect that in the TOS / Privacy policy.

I Walk MY Way

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013
When I got Surfshark 2 years ago one of the main reasons was the no log policy... my account is up for auto-renewal in September , That so will not be renewed I dislike the fact that as a user I was not notified of this change. I mean how hard is it to send a email and say changes to TOS / Privacy policy. I would thing that many user's would be of the same mind set as me and would leave Surfshark if they were aware of the changes to the TOS / Privacy policy

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Guys, let's be serious, who can trust any VPN provider nowadays? I am pretty sure that all keep logs and hand over data when the case. Surfshark is extremely fast and the connection is instant so I'll keep them.

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016

........information is automatically deleted within 15 minutes after termination of your session

Unquote

I can accept this
Dont forget this also means while you are connected they can 100% verify where you are connected.

as Nord VPN ( weirdly under same mother company ) said "We do not keep connection logs nor timestamps that could allow us to match customers with their online activity."

So if whatever government knocks on their doors and wants info about you they can deliver it now from your entire session

Pixelman

Level 4
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
At this point, it's like who you trust more (and maybe it always has been that way), your vpn or isp to log your information. It greatly depends on the country you're in. How the countries cooperate with each other, and their governments as well.

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
At this point, it's like who you trust more (and maybe it always has been that way), your vpn or isp to log your information. It greatly depends on the country you're in. How the countries cooperate with each other, and their governments as well.
theoretically, if you follow all the privacy-sensitive steps.
a VPN can "Decouple" you from "you" and the outgoing traffic aka shared ip server with no logs = no one knows where it came from because there could be 10-100 or more users on that server.

obviously, if you stay logged into google, Facebook , don't clear cookies, and a few other things it isn't as feasible.
also if you use SSL for most things there's a lesser risk from the VPN too.
still, a logging VPN is a bad idea.

I Walk MY Way

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013
(y)(y)(y) A VPN that logs is indeed a bad VPN Since I'm now dumping surfshark I'm going to need a replacement VPN Any suggestions welcome, I have had Adguard VPN, But it keeps crashing on my computer I'm currently waiting for their support to get back to me,

Indingo

Level 1
Jun 15, 2020
(y)(y)(y) A VPN that logs is indeed a bad VPN Since I'm now dumping surfshark I'm going to need a replacement VPN Any suggestions welcome, I have had Adguard VPN, But it keeps crashing on my computer I'm currently waiting for their support to get back to me,

If you want a VPN which respects your privacy and has a long track record of respect in the commity and fair pricing, you go with Mullvad and nobody else.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Dont forget this also means while you are connected they can 100% verify where you are connected.

as Nord VPN ( weirdly under same mother company ) said "We do not keep connection logs nor timestamps that could allow us to match customers with their online activity."

So if whatever government knocks on their doors and wants info about you they can deliver it now from your entire session
Every VPN knows where you are coming from and going where..........................unless you do multi-hops with different VPN providers like having one in your router, one in the PC and one in the VM..................making it more difficult to track

After 15 min of a session your info will be deleted

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
Every VPN knows where you are coming from and going where..........................unless you do multi-hops with different VPN providers like having one in your router, one in the PC and one in the VM..................making it more difficult to track

After 15 min of a session your info will be deleted
And what happens to browsing and download speed?!

Reactions: Sorrento

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.