System Restore
System recovery
Custom Restore and local file backup

Intel_iRIS81

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2016
This is my first more than one real time configuration. I know how Advanced System Care has been with reputations in the past and the extra junk it installs with it. I only use the realtime part of the program from DNS and Webpage protection only as an extra with performance monitor. Avira and Zemana are the ones I depend on. ASC did save me from an issue about 2 years ago that ccleaner and others couldn't resolve. Can't remember the basics but System Care fixed what the others couldn't. 3 weeks ago a keylogger was discovered and I had paypal/twitter hacked. The only damage was the twitter account luckily. So now I'm worried about security of my PC

I will be needing some replacement options in a month as everything I'm using is freeware currently. Let me know if there is anything I should add or change. I have been running this setup for about a week with no conflicts.

After running various programs the last week. Nothing is showing up on my PC as a threat in any way. However something doesn't quite seem right. Everything is top notch, downloads are 100Mb's and ping is 1ms. I can't quite put a nail on whats wrong but the best way to explain it is maybe a "joke" The cursor/pointer has the loading image come up a split second every 2-3 seconds and I'm not sure why. I'm wanting to run some type of registry repair/disk check type tool 3rd party or OS that will find and fix possible issues. I just don't want to lose my host file for adds or the minute changes I made when Windows 10 was first released to improve performance.

Thanks in advance and look forward to the experts chiming in

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
IMO remove one real-time probably Avira as you have Zemana AM(Premium, I'm assuming you got Premium). As you got recently been infected might as well consider adding
  • Anti-exploit(MBAE Free);
  • Isolation(Sandbox, Sandboxie Free); and
  • Anti-exe/Whitelisting (NVTERP, SecureAPlus, or Voodooshield);
Also might wanna change your backup solution either Macrium or AOMEI free.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
IMO remove one real-time probably Avira as you have Zemana AM(Pro) I'm assuming you got Pro. As you got recently been infected might as well consider adding
  • 3) Anti-exe/Whitelisting (NVTERP, SecureAPlus, or Voodooshield).

Wait.. I thought SecureAPlus was an AV? I didn't know it was an Anti-Exe o_O

Reactions: Der.Reisende

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avira is fine already by alone and having WD as experimental will not work from future cases.

Why not install a companion based security program like SecureAplus or Crystal Security?

For backup, consider to have system image backup so that you can restore any changes anytime.

Intel_iRIS81

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2016
Thank you everyone for your responses. I didn't mean to put Windows Defender into the setup as its turned off automatically when I started using Avira. Defender I never really messed with so I wasn't really thinking when I was trying to think of everything in the setup configuration. It will only let me edit my original OP and not the configuration.

Quick Questions - Anti-Exploit I will definitely download and I came close to using it. Zemana premium I guess is a 30 day trial so not sure how much longer I have on that. I could use Malwarebytes after that which I probably will.

Advice above said to use SecureAplus as its a AV and anti-exe? So Avira or the other tools I'm using are not protecting me with anti-exe tools? I just don't want to add multiple programs if its redundant but if its needed than I understand.

Also concerning Voodooshield. The app looks ingenious and it seems revolutionary as I haven't read much on other programs doing what voodooshield can do... It being a lock on the PC and prior, the program learns the apps that are legit that you use and than nothing else will come through. It says it will stop a threat and at the bottom of the FAQ on the page it says it will kill the virus. At the same time it can't remove a virus. So I'm skeptical of the product. I only know what I read. It seems Voodooshield is doing something in a sense that all the other AV/Anti-MW programs can't or don't do. That's why I ask does it work. If Voodoo is seen killing an app as it works well as a piggyback to a main AV/Anti MW than why isn't any of the other realtime programs seeing it too?

Lastly, referring to the 2 suggestions above and the link to the best anti-executable. SecureAplus and Voodooshield are they giving me browser protection that I don't have. I will delete Advanced System Care and that's why I have it on right now with just DNS and web browser protection on, nothing else. Do I have browser protection with my setup or the suggestions you guys gave?

Note - If this helps with input
99% of my PC usage are reputable movie torrent downloads through UTorrent. No special VPN/Proxy or anything. Than I watch with VLC. I do tend to download a good amount of music at times too. I don't really go the random website, click on anything route. And I won't download a torrent unless it already has like 1000+ downloads with plenty of comments already. I just don't want to keep downloading multiple programs and have 10 different security measures running at once. Unless its needed. I know many aren't resource heavy at all but stuff does add up, 35mb there, 20 mb there, and so on.

Thanks in advance
PS - Is the initial response that I was running WD along with Avira the reason I got the tag PC take caution and otherwise it would have gotten the green light. I just double checked and WD is fully turned off. I'm only using Windows Firewall

Reactions: frogboy

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Try Bleachbit/wise disk cleaner for even deep cleanup. uBlock origin is a very efficient adblocker. Isn't ad-aware full blown clone of BD AV? Remove ASC from your system, as for keeping malware out of your system consider using FF or chrome with extension like WOT, ghostery, self destructing cookies etc to protect yourself. You can even cleanup old updates in win 10 using DISM to save precious space if you're using an SSD.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Swaglife81: SecureAplus is a companion based AV which contains whitelisting technology to block any unknown program as not included on the rules.

A good combination, especially that Avira rely heavily on signatures; with SecureAplus powered by cloud engines will help you to protect from sophisticated threats.

Reactions: enaph

Intel_iRIS81

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2016
I'm in the process of adding MBAE, SecureAPlus and my original config was updated with WD removed to not have confusion that it was actually on. Will the "take caution" note be updated by staff or however its voted?

I did uninstall Advanced System Care per forum advice. I really would love to have a utility like that. It was a huge do it all type app but that part didn't matter to me. I want that RAM manager/booster/game option/internet booster, etc options.

I've been a long time user of CCleaner like as long as I can ever remember. I downloaded that add-on for it but I haven't used it yet.

With my updated setup do I need a Password Manager?

P

PEllis

I'm in the process of adding MBAE, SecureAPlus and my original config was updated with WD removed to not have confusion that it was actually on. Will the "take caution" note be updated by staff or however its voted?

I did uninstall Advanced System Care per forum advice. I really would love to have a utility like that. It was a huge do it all type app but that part didn't matter to me. I want that RAM manager/booster/game option/internet booster, etc options.

I've been a long time user of CCleaner like as long as I can ever remember. I downloaded that add-on for it but I haven't used it yet.

With my updated setup do I need a Password Manager?
You don't need a password manager, but it definitely makes life easier and safer.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I
I want that RAM manager/booster/game option/internet booster, etc options.
Internet booster and game booster are thing of the past, if you have lot of RAM I mean >4 Gigs, you don't need to use utilities anymore. If you want to squeeze more perf out of ur PC, try disabling transparency of w10 before gaming and after enable it thereafter.
As for RAM cleanup, I recommend CleanMem mini monitor from Shane, a very good tool. Or else use RAMMap from SysInternals Suite.

Reactions: jamescv7

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.