System Configuration of Sven

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Hello dear MTers,

A long time (1 year) has passed since I've created a post here to inform my fellows about how my system is doing :) (previous Sept. 2014, you can check here)

I have decided to take the risky days and do the upgrade to Windows 10 from my Windows 7 Home Basic x64 system. The upgrade process was normal-paced and after the upgrade, everything was fine in its very first day. The next day, the boot was unexpectedly slow, there were some start menu failures, Explorer.exe crashes and thousands of more bugs. That kept going the same for 2 more days..

After that period, I've decided to try a fresh install, which could maybe save me from that bugs and errors. So, as the clean install is done, everything is perfectly stable, no driver issues (which I was worried a lot because of my AMD Radeon switchable graphics card) ultra fast boot times and all :)

Please inform me if you see an opening or your opinions to change or try different products etc. :) All your thoughts are welcome ;)

Let us cheer my new and fresh system which is perfectly stable until today (for more than 2 weeks I assume)! :)

and now, it's time to Rickroll! :D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Very nice config! Thanks for sharing your config and the Rickroll :)
I have only had problems with Windows 10 on my ASUS ROG and went back to 7.Every other machine has been smooth sailing,including some older machines.I think the clean install is the way to go however on 2 machines I used the upgrade and they are running fine as well

Reactions: Sven

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Very nice config! Thanks for sharing your config and the Rickroll :)
I have only had problems with Windows 10 on my ASUS ROG and went back to 7.Every other machine has been smooth sailing,including some older machines.I think the clean install is the way to go however on 2 machines I used the upgrade and they are running fine as well

Well, I'm %100 sure that ASUS will take care of those problems with ROGs, and the upgrade process can be a huge failure for some, maybe a bliss for others :)

Reactions: Exterminator

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Nice configuration. :D

No wonder that clean install is the best way to migrate for such fresh start. Upgrades are fine for newly products like those OEM. ;)

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Nice configuration. :D

No wonder that clean install is the best way to migrate for such fresh start. Upgrades are fine for newly products like those OEM. ;)

I totally agree! :) Upgrades did not work for an older machine like mine.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
An awesome config, I really like it, it is very efficient and completed. Thx for sharing!! ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you use any custom settings for known features in Avast Antivirus? Is the Manual Sandbox utilised for any installed programs?

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Do you use any custom settings for known features in Avast Antivirus? Is the Manual Sandbox utilised for any installed programs?

I am only using 2 modules in Avast, File Shield and Web Shield. All other tools and modules that come with Avast is unnecessary for me. I do not have them on my Avast ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you get the option to disable the Promoted Messages (ie. "Avast Ads")?

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Update
Add : SecuraLive Internet Security
Removed : Avast Pro Antivirus

I had no issues at all with Avast! Pro, the reason that I want to use SL IS is that I am trying to make this new yet promising software more reliable and improve it's feature-set by the feedbacks. :)

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Update
Add : SecuraLive Internet Security
Removed : Avast Pro Antivirus

I had no issues at all with Avast! Pro, the reason that I want to use SL IS is that I am trying to make this new yet promising software more reliable and improve it's feature-set by the feedbacks. :)
Good addition, I also think SecuraLive Internet Security all in all is a good product. ;) Thanks for sharing

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Good addition, I also think SecuraLive Internet Security all in all is a good product. ;) Thanks for sharing
I agree, I hope they will rise and have a nice market-share as the other vendors. :) Fair competition and different product is always welcome ;)

Reactions: JM Safe

NstarN

Sep 25, 2015
Can someone here tell me how one can record DNS probes and attacks to trace them to the source of the attack. What precautions would one take to prevent these attacks.

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Well that's a question that I can not answer and located in wrong place. Maybe @Huracan or another admin will be able to specify your question on another quest or area :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.