Advice Request System settings for SSD longevity?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Yes, like destroying SSD. I have seen so many childish bugs made by MS, that it would take a miracle to make me trust any of their silly apps or default settings ever again.

Well I too am leary of just letting the system be. I TRIED to give MS a chance with the trim weekly schedule and glanced and saw it wasn't done in over 60 days on my system. Yes it was turned on and scheduled. Yes I have the latest Win 10 pro updates too. :(

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Well I too am leary of just letting the system be. I TRIED to give MS a chance with the trim weekly schedule and glanced and saw it wasn't done in over 60 days on my system. Yes it was turned on and scheduled. Yes I have the latest Win 10 pro updates too. :(
I had that too, somehow it just comes and goes for me in my experience. With the last update non-optional update it just did the trim today, but I have had periods on and off last year, where it just kept scheduling it and nothing happened. It's the weirdest things, but not like I am going to feel the performance difference with my use-case, so I just kept it as is out of pure laziness. :p

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I have Samsung 840 and 850 EVO SSD for 6 years now. I have never done any tweak mentioned in this thread at all since the day I got them, and both are running great with 840 EVO at 95% health and 850 EVO at 94% health. Crystaldiskmark on both of my drives still maintain the performance as it advertised with a very tiny performance loss.

Windows 10 is smart enough to tell if the drive is SSD or HDD so I don't think it is necessary to do all of these tweaks. Let Windows 10 do its things. You only need to meddle things when things broken or malfunction.

840 EVO
DiskInfo64K_QxCyx92tLB.pngDiskMark64S_yoiXOVb3x6.png

850 EVO
DiskInfo64K_4RskVP09oW.pngDiskMark64S_Q5LUvQTJ98.png

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I have Samsung 840 and 850 EVO SSD for 6 years now. I have never done any tweak mentioned in this thread at all since the day I got them, and both are running great with 840 EVO at 95% health and 850 EVO at 94% health. Crystaldiskmark on both of my drives still maintain the performance as it advertised with a very tiny performance loss.
I lost 4% in a year and I have the same amount of writes like you do (13TB). RAMdisk has its downsizes, like every time I restart, 4GB gets written, 10 times a day makes "nice" 40GB.

Attachments

• capture_03112021_084352.jpg
    capture_03112021_084352.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 190

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
As heartless as it sounds, no SSD is created equal, nor is every OS installation operating equally well. I had the same issue with an Crucial ssd on a laptop, while the same type and model from Crucial on my Desktop had none of the issues with excessive I/O writes (over the span of 6 months). Same windows image, with different Windows license keys.

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I lost 4% in a year and I have the same amount of writes like you do (13TB). RAMdisk has its downsizes, like every time I restart, 4GB gets written, 10 times a day makes "nice" 40GB.
You probably got a bad quality nvme ssd that got wear out very quick or this is normal for nvme. I don't have nvme ssd so I can't speak for that. My main ssd 850 EVO sata ssd with OS install lost 5% over 6 years with 23TB written.

Last edited:

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
My first SSD (2016) outlasted my last machine (as a primary device), and they have improved since then. I think people make a bigger deal of this than necessary.

I absolutely agree, I think, people don't realize how many GB a day a SSD can right before die.

My SSDs are defrag every week.

This is what Samsung say about SSDs, not some extraordinary youtuber:

Samsung states that their Samsung SSD 850 PRO SATA, with a capacity of 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 or 1 TB, is “built to handle 150 terabytes written (TBW), which equates to a 40 GB daily read/write workload over a ten-year period.” Samsung even promises that the product is “withstanding up to 600 terabytes written (TBW).” A normal office user writes approximately between 10 and 35 GB on a normal day. Even if one raises this amount up to 40 GB, it means that they could write (and only write) more than almost 5 years until they reach the 70 TBW limit.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I've not had a SSD wear out, maybe replaced with a faster one - Used ones I've fitted to others lappy to replace spinners - They do seem to still work.
I still have the Samsung 830 64GB SSD, which I think was the second or third generation SSD Samsung had available for the consumer market (and affordable). It still works, just had to be replaced, because it is slower and storage size.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.