Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Thanks for sharing, I think it is a good thing to enable Smartscreen also considering if you rely on ESET in this context. I recommend you to create system images to restore your OS in case of failure or deep malware infections, preserving your software setup, Macrium is also a good choice.

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Any valid reason to disable Smartscreen?

I don't need to rely on this, I'm careful enough about links. Besides, ESET Smart Security Premium (thanks to a certain giveaway from a certain website) with custom settings is enabled in case I'd make silly mistakes.

Thanks for sharing, I think it is a good thing to enable Smartscreen also considering if you rely on ESET in this context. I recommend you to create system images to restore your OS in case of failure or deep malware infections, preserving your software setup, Macrium is also a good choice.

Thanks for the piece of advice, like I just said I'm careful enough to keep my setup in a malware-free environment.

D

Deleted member 178

Smartscreen is not just about links , it is system wide , and check executables via its cloud. It is built-in and doesn't use resources.
It is like saying you don't need an airbag (Smartscreen) because you drive your car (Win10) with an helmet (Eset) ...but an helmet isn't indestructible....

Anyway, do what fit you better.

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Smartscreen is not just about links , it is system wide , and check executables via its cloud. It is built-in and doesn't use resources.
It is like saying you don't need an airbag (Smartscreen) because you drive your car (Windows 10) with an helmet (Eset) ...but an helmet isn't indestructible....

Anyway, do what fit you better.

I know that, Windows 10's been a good opportunity for Microsoft to strenghen Smartscreen and the latter gains slight flexibility with Creators Update.
Despite those efforts, this airbag remains less effective that certain helmets. Even having no protection would pass if you're good at driving, taking care of the road and driving slowly to avoid accidents (don't try this on actual roads with actual cars though) ;)

As an IT guy, aren't you curious?

Of course I am, been there, seen that, when I was done having fun with it and noticed I didn't need it, I disabled Smartscreen ^^

D

Deleted member 178

Even having no protection would pass if you're good at driving, taking care of the road and driving slowly to avoid accidents ;)
And you will hit from the back by a drunk guy driving a huge truck and die your thorax crushed by the wheel because the airbag was removed ^^ (just kidding you) :D

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
I don't really have the need of a system image backup, because most of the time I don't mind reinstalling everything by myself, so I'm fine even without free software lile Macrium Reflect Free. If I see I need it someday, I'll use something.

To be honest I wasn't expecting MT members would be so fond of SmartScreen. I know it's been improved since Windows 8.0 (even recently with Creators Update), but like I said I'm a cautious user so I'm not feeling I should turn this on to send more data to Microsoft. I must say I'd be curious to know what exactly are the data sent by SmartScreen.

Silly me, I intended to set UAC to Max like before a rather recent clean install (due to a Windows Update issue), thanks for the reminder @brod56 !

Thanks for feedback, happy surfing!

D

Deleted member 178

I must say I'd be curious to know what exactly are the data sent by SmartScreen.
I guess application hash and url entered. Both obviously needed because it is a cloud based protection.

SmartScreen sends several pieces of data to Microsoft when you run a program. The information includes the file name of the application you attempt to run, along with a hash of the application’s contents — this hash is compared to Microsoft’s database. If it matches a known-good application, such as iTunes, it’s allowed to run. (For more information about the exact data sent to Microsoft, read this post on the Within Windows blog.)

Windows Defender SmartScreen uses an SSL web connection to send website addresses to Microsoft. For more information about what data is sent and how it is used, see the appropriate privacy policy documentation for your version of Internet Explorer.

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/ie10-Windows 8-privacy-statement

Reactions: PlayerFromTheITtic
D

Deleted member 178

Edited the post above, basically nothing that will send hitmans to your door :D

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Both obviously needed because it is a cloud based protection.

Yeah I was aware of that.
Even with your edition, your post confirmed I'll keep SmartScreen disabled, thanks anyway.

Better keep CAUTION mention on MT than sending such data to Microsoft, not that I don't trust them but I also don't need to share everything with them :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.