simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Was not sure what's the best forum to post this question / problem
I created a tails bootable usb with etcher, but the uefi bios does not "see" it?
asus motherboard uefi version 2.17.1246
I guess I'm not that familiar with uefi, and the tails installation troubleshooting instructions are not getting me there. indeed they end with if this or that doesn't work, your system probably will not run tails. ugh. any suggestions?

Reactions: upnorth and shmu26

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
NEVERMIND, I figured it out, ie the techie that installed the motherboard knew EXACTLY what to do, I did it, it now boots from usb. :cool:

Reactions: harlan4096
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Ask him what he did, and tell us about it.
I had a similar problem a while back, with a certain Linux distro on flash drive that wouldn't boot in EFI, which I corrected by copying a file into the EFI partition of the flash drive. But I don't remember the details anymore of what I did.

Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Ask him what he did, and tell us about it.
I had a similar problem a while back, with a certain Linux distro on flash drive that wouldn't boot in EFI, which I corrected by copying a file into the EFI partition of the flash drive. But I don't remember the details anymore of what I did.

I've had no reason to play with BIOS or newer UEFI on this box, so just me ignorant. When it boots the screen says hit F2 to go into EFI, went thru every entry, no boot order. It's loader gives me either ssd or macrium backup hd, no setting. Saw something more complex about editing "something" somewhere in the system, clearly no obvious from the EFI interface. blah blah blah.
SOLUTION per hardware tech, it's an ASUS, 1) plug in the bootable usb, (had been doing that) 2) when it starts hit F8. Boom I get a popup with about 8 options including my tails usb, and worked! :geek: There might be documentation about that somewhere, and I may have googled and saw something about F8 but thought that can't be right, the screen tells me F2. Maybe this is common knowledge. News to me. And it may only work with ASUS...???

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.