Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Random (CureIt/FRST/KVRT/NPE)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Yandex Browser - https://yandex.com/support/browser/security

AdBlocker for Youtube (effectively removes annoying contents, ads, and banners from YouTube)
Cache Killer (clears the browser cache automatically on opening a new tab or refreshing a tab)
Cookie AutoDelete (auto-delete unused cookies from closed tabs while keeping the ones you want)
Context Menu Search (use the right-click menu to search for selected text in any search engines)
Decentraleyes (protects against tracking through "free", centralized, content delivery)
Dictionary Lookup (look up any word in an inline frame with a simple click)
h264ify (makes YouTube stream H.264 videos instead of VP8/VP9 videos)
I don't care about cookies (get rid of annoying cookie warnings from almost all websites)
IDN Safe (blocks internationalized domain names to prevent visiting probable fake sites)
Netcraft (blocks XSS attacks, phishing and suspicious sites)
Poper Blocker (blocks annoying popups and some cryptomining)
Privacy Badger (blocks trackers and WebRTC, not ADs generally)
Youtube Auto HD + FPS (Automatically set the videos' quality on YouTube)
Maintenance tools
Autoruns
Disc Cleanup
Driver Easy
Driver Store Explorer
Geek Uninstaller
Process Hacker Nightly
Windows Repair Toolbox
Wise Disk Cleaner
Wise Registry Cleaner
File and Photo backup
Copy/Paste - automatic backups deleted my files, twice, I will not fall for that again
System recovery
None - System Backup trashed my system, besides, I can reinstall everything within an hour anyway
Computer specs
http://steamcommunity.com/id/tairikuokami

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Plus my Windows Tweaks applied, which cripple Windows (sort of), but increase security, to sum it up:

As anti-malware tests regularly confirms, 99% of infections come either via an email or via a browser.
I open emails in txt and the browser is well protected. I can not use smartscreen, it blocks my files

Windows Defender Firewall is set to block inbound/outbound, no Windows processes are allowed.
Removed SearchUI.exe & Powershell. UAC with a password. "ValidateAdminCodeSignatures" is ON.
Disabled IPv6, WMI, WSH, almost all services & tasks, all Windows features, except NET Framework.

I turn off PC with Wise Cleaners + tweaks, to remove startup entries and restore my settings.
I have denied access to SYSTEM and set Users permissions to read only on a backup partition.
Yandex browser keeps running after closing, Cache Killer helps with that. Thanks @Sunshine-boy

Since 1803, it is no longer possible to uninstall network protocols, MS said: Because we say so ... .
So I have disabled their drivers, plus a few drivers related to remote management/sharing, thanks MS.
I have Server/Workstation disabled, that should take care of the "Client for Microsoft Network" & "File and Printer Sharing".

I have 2 short-stroked HDDs to improve their performance by ~30%. SSD is just a waste of money, it does not improve performance (no FPS gain in games), just loading times, there is not a single test proving otherwise. Better to buy more RAM, disable pagefile, to force games to load to RAM.

Mom's laptop: The same setup, but Windows Tweaks Light, FortiClient (Family WebFiltering enabled), WinFirewall Inbound ON, WinUpdates ON.

Please do not recommend following products:
Avira, Windows Defender - hardware killers.

Avast, AVG, Comodo, ZoneAlarm - cause BSOD.
Panda Dome - slows down and kills wireless internet.
KFA is a junkware with telemetry, KSC is picky about users.
CrowdStrike, ESET, Symantec have $$$ and also score well in test labs.
Malwarebytes - I would rather install malware than this junk PUPing everything.

Attachments

• capture_07112018_102357.jpg
    capture_07112018_102357.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 502
  • capture_11162018_095045.jpg
    capture_11162018_095045.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 383
  • capture_11162018_095343.jpg
    capture_11162018_095343.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
What is the secret of your config?
My tweaks, not sure if it allowed to post it here, link to pastebin is on my profile. I turn off computer with CCleaner (to clean temps/caches, which might contain something) + my tweaks, which remove all startup entries (plus a few more things) and restore all settings, if changed by Windows or anything nasty.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Primary, but I have not been infected for years, so it is working for me. But I would not recommend it to others, obviously. ;)
Even if you're an advanced user, you should atleast enable built in Windows Defender, Windows Firewall and smartscreen. These are efficient and doesn't impact the performance much. They probably did in the past because of bugs but I've read most Windows 10 bugs are fixed by now.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
My tweaks, not sure if it allowed to post it here, link to pastebin is on my profile. I turn off computer with CCleaner (to clean temps/caches, which might contain something) + my tweaks, which remove all startup entries (plus a few more things) and restore all settings, if changed by Windows or anything nasty.
Making registry hacks doesn't guarantee a reliable protection system to your OS. Because with this config you are not secure on all layers. On Windows 10 I would at least enable WD and as I said also Zemana or VoodooShield (avalaible also in freeware version) or maybe you can use Shadow Defender for a ghost session.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.