Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Hello. Your config is not bad! Here are a few suggestions:
Settings suggestions:
- Enable UAC to the highest level.
- Turn on SmartScreen.
Software suggestions:
- You can remove AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes. If you think that you install much Adware then you should use Unchecky: Unchecky - Keeps your checkboxes clear Not installing Adware is better than removing it.
- If you will use uBlock Origin in the future then I do not see any need to use AdGuard because of the AdGuard DNS servers: Adguard DNS - the free DNS with advanced ad blocking
- The latest version of Chrome is 60(.0.3112). You should update your browser.
Other suggestions:
- You do not use any password manager except your mind. That's good but if you use the same password for all platforms then you should consider using one.

T

The paranoid one

Hi, I see you totally trust Bitdefender;)
I prefer Adguard to ublock origin because it is less aggressive and does not create any conflict.
There is a powerful and open Source passwords manager for working offline, it is called KeePass and, IMO, always peferible to remember all passwords. It has a portable version that you can save in USBusb and use it to create or save passwords, at least those that you use less frequently
You have an very good config. Consider adding Voodooshield to get a higher degree of defense.
Thanks for sharing :)

Takemaster

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 2, 2017
Hello. Thanks for everyone's replies. Yes I stopped using Adwcleaner and I'm not installing much adware, I'm scanning because I'm paranoid. My OS doesn't have SmartScreen, what is it, I don't know it. And what is UAC, I don't know because my English is bad. And I'm not using same password for accounts. And, I have much RAM for my usage and I want to protect my PC like a hi-secured vault. Do you have reccomendations? Its cost must be free or under 70$. Have a nice day!

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
My recommendations:

Turn UAC to maximum. Search on the metro menu "UAC" and the configuration should open. Tame the bar to it's highest level and accept.

Smartscreen ON.

Update to Windows 10 lastest version.

Always keep updates up to date.

Tweak BitDefender for maximum security and lockdown.

Add Zemana AntiMalware and/or Emsisoft Emergency Kit as on-demand scanner.

Add HTTPS Everywhere, NoScript.

Consider a backup solution or SO imaging.

Daljeet

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
Hello. Thanks for everyone's replies. Yes I stopped using Adwcleaner and I'm not installing much adware, I'm scanning because I'm paranoid. My OS doesn't have SmartScreen, what is it, I don't know it. And what is UAC, I don't know because my English is bad. And I'm not using same password for accounts. And, I have much RAM for my usage and I want to protect my PC like a hi-secured vault. Do you have reccomendations? Its cost must be free or under 70$. Have a nice day!
Hi, UAC means User account control and it's preventing pc from damage. It notified when unauthorized apps trying to install on your pc. Set UAC to "always notify".

Takemaster

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 2, 2017
Enabling Smartscreen is highly recommended.
Is SmartScreen intregated on Windows 8.1? And I will start using UAC, Zemana, Emsisoft; Is Zemana Antilogger, Antiexploit, Voodoosheild and HitmanPro.Alert should-use? I am keeping my os updated every week starting this week. Actually, what do you recommend using for browser and extensions; I can't decide inside Opera and Firefox. Thanks and have a nice day!

D

Deleted member 178

Hello! Thanks for your reply. Is Smartscreen only for IE? And will UAC corrupt with BD?
1- no, it is system wide since Win8.
2- Not at all, SS is a reputation checker, the hash of the file is uploaded , and then compared to a database, then if the file is unknown or suuspicious , a prompt will be issued.

Takemaster

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 2, 2017
Implement some type of system backup solution.Both Macrium Reflect & AOMEI Backupper offer good free programs.
Enable Smartscreen.
Have you considered moving to Windows 10?
Thanks for sharing your config :)
I don't like it on the free upgrading time. I will upgrade my old PC (i7 2xxxm GT550M 4GB) with its or another oem license and If I like it, I will move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.