App Review Targeted Ransomware vs the Cloud

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
D

Deleted member 178

Webroot Rollback, well for sure it could rollback the changes even manualy when you set the file situation on Block. but the truth is that they have nothing for Prevention except their Database :D i'm sure you're agree with me ;)
I disagree , you forgot the BB than can become almost an HIPS depending the setting chosen and the webfilter.

In fact the rollback feature is quite limited, it doesn't rollback the whole system.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Mr P- I actually rarely do reviews as such (other people do them much better than I could). And as Umbra stated, the purpose here was to demonstrate that a Security product that uses a Cloud component MUST sequester the uploaded file somehow until the Cloud results are in. Also even though an actual detection of a given malware exists, if that malware is more elegantly coded it still can cause damage.

As I haven't seen this topic considered before, I thought it might be good for a couple of chuckles.

(and I'm sure that BD can detect all of the three flavors of Petya)

K

KGBagent47

Webroot Rollback, well for sure it could rollback the changes even manualy when you set the file situation on Block. but the truth is that they have nothing for Prevention except their Database :D i'm sure you're agree with me ;)
Friendly Wrong: Webroot offers a white list option of all programs run on the system. CS gives CFW special settings exemptions why not Webroot?

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
I disagree , you forgot the BB than can become almost an HIPS depending the setting chosen and the webfilter.
BB?HIPS? LOL Webroot have not such those technologies really ! maybe have but they are not working the :D
in fact Webroot wait to system infection happen, then rollback the infection ! its BB is a joke, you show me a test or review from Webroot which in that Webroot blocked a malware before infection :D
In fact the rollback feature is quite limited, it doesn't rollback the whole system.
poor their users then :D

(and I'm sure that BD can detect all of the three flavors of Petya)
by its Database yes , not behavior blocker, just collect some Petya, turn off BD detection, and execute them ;)
the same with Norton and CTB-Locker ;)

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Friendly Wrong: Webroot offers a white list option of all programs run on the system. CS gives CFW special settings exemptions why not Webroot?
i know how Webroot works, i was their users 2014-2015 :D in fact i think i was one of their biggest fan in Iran :D
but the truth is clear, they have not any BB, if they have, its not working , you want to prove i'm wrong? lets begin a test !

K

KGBagent47

i know how Webroot works, i was their users 2014-2015 :D in fact i think i was one of their biggest fan in Iran :D
but the truth is clear, they have not any BB, if they have, its not working , you want to prove i'm wrong? lets begin a test !
Do you deny they have white list only?

D

Deleted member 178

You are not even sure yourself what you are stating... rolleyes:

You are clearly clueless about webroot , the BB was called Behavior Shield on previous versions, now it is integrated on the real-time shield and hosted on Brightcloud servers, not locally.

User Review - [Review] Webroot SA Complete v8

you can adjust its effectiveness via settings located in "heuristic" tab . Unfortunately for your statement, the default settings reduce the its alerts so you didn't see it. Put all the setting at the stricter level , disable silent-oriented settings and you will see...

Immense Cloud Database
One reason the local application can be so tiny is that it doesn't include any malware signatures, Morris explained. The Prevx technology relies entirely on an immense database of applications and behaviors in the cloud. This database collects and correlates an almost-unimaginable amount of information about every process ever run on any system with SecureAnywhere (or Prevx) installed. Along with the expected notes about process behavior it correlates things like the geographic location, browser version, and other elements of the sample's "habitat."

According to Morris, this database, code named ENZO, can include as many as two million database rows for a single process.

"Cybersecurity is all about information," said Morris. "We store and correlate all the factors about the process's behavior in all the places it was seen. We aim to have more information than anyone, so we can offer better protection than anyone."

Solved: Behavior Blocker will turn off if we turn off Real... - Webroot Community

no no they have an option which allow to run Only White list programs!
but really? is that what you need? :D even if you use this option, you cannot hide this fact that they have not any BB !
False again ....

You have the Application control where you can block > monitor > allow... located on "PC security" Tab

Blocking/Allowing files

Now before stating nonsense and misinformation , learn the soft you are using...

Last edited by a moderator:

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
You are not even sure yourself what you are stating... rolleyes:

You are clearly clueless about webroot ,
i know Umbra, my account name is Parham in Webroot community which you can see i'm Community guide so i know something about Webroot i am not clueless :D i used it for almost a year, and i know everything about that! when i say their BB have not working and looks like they have not that, it means their BB is super weak which you may think they have not. i didnt mean that they have not really.. :D

yes this is my topic also.
You have the Application control where you can block > monitor > allow... located on "PC security" Tab
yes you have all this options. but still their BB is very very weak ! it doesn't change this fact.
learn the soft you are using.
Oh Belive me i will not say a word about any software/company if i not sure about my knowledge :D as i said before i tested all these companies in terms of Customer Support ( which is really Great and kind, they even speak Farsi with me which is my native language <3 )
and Protection :D

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
By the way Baldrick ( one of most active members/helpers in Webroot Community is one my dear friends :D ) :( for God sake do not say that i know nothing about Webroot i was their fan once.

D

Deleted member 178

i know Umbra, my account name is Parham in Webroot community which you can see i'm Community guide so i know something about Webroot i am not clueless :D i used it for almost a year, and i know everything about that! when i say their BB have not working and looks like they have not that, it means their BB is super weak which you may think they have not. i didnt mean that they have not really.. :D

i guessed it was you, same style of questions, why do you think i posted it...one year awesome... :rolleyes:

yes you have all this options. but still their BB is very very weak ! it doesn't change this fact.

So you said earlier there is no BB, now you say it is weak...you contradict yourself all the time... How many people are in your head lol...

Useless to discuss with you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KGBagent47

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
So you said earlier there is no BB, now you say it is weak...you contradict yourself all the time... How many people are in your head lol...
you are playing with the words now :D i explained for you in my last post, when i said they have not BB, i meaned that their BB is very weak, and you may feel they have not any BB at all ! is that hard to underestand? if so yes our discuss would be useless :D

D

Deleted member 178

@Mr.Pr whatever... i remind you , you are in security forum for average users looking for accurate and precise contents, some members aren't native english speakers , so they can't understand your way of speaking... they will take your words as you write it.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
some members aren't native english speakers , so they can't understand your way of speaking... they will take your words as you write it.
i'm from Iran, my native language is Farsi(Persian) so i'm not a English speaker also! but thats not your problem, thats not MT's problem if i wasn't able to underestand some English idioms which they're using ! Umbra i like the way you act/discuss, but you need to be a little bit more friendly buddy :D and stop playing with the words ( if you are did it , or perhaps you didn't underestand what was my meaning, so it's Ok i did re-explain for you <3 ) now i'm going to follow you becuase i feel you are a knowledgable user, i'm badly waiting for our future discussions :cool:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It's a time that a regular implementation of Rollback is not a bad idea, although the problem will be based on how the development works.

The concept is nice but awful on execution,

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.