App Review TEMASOFT Ranstop anti-ransomware detection and recovery test (vs Spora)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
TEMASOFT Ranstop - default configuration;
Sample: a Spora ransomware variant. Virus total sample details: Antivirus scan for cb83d46d30bc9b277c78efe7beb102d0f292cacc2380534fce9c7e4bb192134a at 2017-02-27 03:03:37 UTC - VirusTotal
Test OS: Windows 10
Spora is a “replacer” ransomware that fully encrypts the contents of the target files directly, without performing additional file operations. This means that while typical ransomware has a bigger footprint when it comes to file related activity (file read, file create, file write, file delete), replacers have a far smaller one: only read/write operations on the same file. Just like most production applications. This characteristic makes the replacers tough to detect and block.
TEMASOFT Ranstop blocks Spora and recovers the files.

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
I'd like to see this tested with more samples :rolleyes:
Currently, there are five videos; I will add them here as video reviews too - against Locky (Osiris variant), CryptoLocker, RAA and a Graftor sample.
We are also working on a video that shows how this product stops a ransomware attack that comes from an infected machine on the network: i.e. an unprotected network computer is infected, and attacks mapped drives to the protected computer. This case is interesting because the ransomware does NOT actually run on the machine where the product is installed.
There is a bigger list of ransomware that were tested, but there are no videos for that list yet.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Currently, there are five videos; I will add them here as video reviews too - against Locky (Osiris variant), CryptoLocker, RAA and a Graftor sample.
We are also working on a video that shows how this product stops a ransomware attack that comes from an infected machine on the network: i.e. an unprotected network computer is infected, and attacks mapped drives to the protected computer. This case is interesting because the ransomware does NOT actually run on the machine where the product is installed.
There is a bigger list of ransomware that were tested, but there are no videos for that list yet.
Are u developer of Temasoft?

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Is there a full trial version of the program?

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
Are u developer of Temasoft?
I am affiliated with TEMASOFT but I am not a developer. I have a technical background but currently occupying a business related position covering all products developed by the company. If there are technical questions I will try to reply as well as possible. Same with other types of questions, if needed. From what I know the rules do not allow sharing my contact information (unless I am mistaking) so I'll do the best I can to reply here.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I am affiliated with TEMASOFT but I am not a developer. I have a technical background but currently occupying a business related position covering all products developed by the company. If there are technical questions I will try to reply as well as possible. Same with other types of questions, if needed. From what I know the rules do not allow sharing my contact information (unless I am mistaking) so I'll do the best I can to reply here.
Do u have something for free i can test ?

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
Do u have something for free i can test ?

At the moment, there is the free trial you can test for 15 days for free. If you do not wish to register for the trial, you will be able to find the install on the download websites (direct download) soon. Note, however that you need a license key which you can get from within the install kit as well. I recommend you register for the trial so that you can get support and the license key upfront. You have no obligation to buy the product once the trial period is over.

We plan to have a completely free version available at the end of Q2. This version will feature ransomware detection and blocking, but will not feature the real-time file protection functionality. The benefit of that is that you greatly reduce the damage of ransomware by cutting detection time from minutes / hours, down to seconds (time in which without the file protection feature you will only lose a small number of files, if any).

Reactions: XhenEd and Av Gurus

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
At the moment, there is the free trial you can test for 15 days for free. If you do not wish to register for the trial, you will be able to find the install on the download websites (direct download) soon. Note, however that you need a license key which you can get from within the install kit as well. I recommend you register for the trial so that you can get support and the license key upfront. You have no obligation to buy the product once the trial period is over.

We plan to have a completely free version available at the end of Q2. This version will feature ransomware detection and blocking, but will not feature the real-time file protection functionality. The benefit of that is that you greatly reduce the damage of ransomware by cutting detection time from minutes / hours, down to seconds (time in which without the file protection feature you will only lose a small number of files, if any).
Pls make this fully Compatitable with Avira pro :)

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
Pls make this fully compatible with Avira pro :)

It should already be compatible. So far, our tests revealed no conflicts with AV software. The reason for that is that this product works on a different level. AV software detects malware before it does anything, and that is awesome. This, however, raises some issues with zero day threats and specific types of malware, like ransomware, which do not have "virus-like" code or behavior. This product is reactive, it detects the file related threats, including ransomware after they starts to damage a computer (not before), blocks them, and then undoes the damage. So ideally, yes, you would use this together with an AV solution that will tackle all the other malware threats, and whatever comes through from the AV solution that damages files, can be handled by this product. If both the AV and this product fail to block a ransomware, at least you get your files back with the file protection feature.
< I also made a note to ask for a compatibility test with Avira Pro - Will update this thread>

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.