Ten Process Injection Techniques

Did you know these Injection Techniques?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
You want to recommend NVT ERP? But is NVT ERP still in development?
Thanks
ERP 2015 is abandonned but works very well, ERP 2017 is on development and from what i discussed with the dev, it will be far stronger.
ERP 2015 was already the n°1 anti-exe on the market; the next one will keep the lead.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
There is many vector attacks, and many don't use any file dropped on the HDD, so what an anti-exe will do? basically nothing...

The topic is about process injections not home user threats or not. stay on topic.

You need to do some more researches about attack vectors, your understanding of attacks is too limited to exe and vulnerable processes.
Do you know that you can load cmd/powershell scripts without the use of powershell.exe or cmd.exe ?
Also, what about dlls, libraries, etc... ?
Please explain a little about these advanced attack vectors etc.
I ask again: how does the fileless attack get into your system in the first place?
You speak about loading scripts and DLLs -- where did they come from, and what is loading them?

Thread author
I ask again: how does the fileless attack get into your system in the first place?
You speak about loading scripts and DLLs -- where did they come from, and what is loading them?

As a single example, use out of date unpatched browser. Navigate to exploit webpage. Webpage exploits browser, gains elevated privileges, and then begins to execute code in memory. Poweliks was an example. "Fileless attack" is more often than not a misnomer.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
XSS attacks, metasploits , network attacks/abuse (like EternalBlue/Double pulsar), etc...etc...

too long (off-) topic to discuss here and even explained it is quite difficult by using simple words. The best you can do is to google about those attacks.
All you have to know, is that anti-exe block only exe, nothing else (one rare exception is Smart Object Blocker, which block dll/drivers/exe); unfortunately exe are only ONE of the vectors.

It i why using only an anti-exe isn't enough, you need something else beside.
My first combo was Appguard (exe/dll/driver/memory protection ) + ERP (for command line parser) , one backing the other because they have complementary features.

In security, you need to have the big picture in mind, because rare complex attacks fastly become popular. (see the ransomwares or NSA tools)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
As a single example, use out of date unpatched browser. Navigate to exploit webpage. Webpage exploits browser, gains elevated privileges, and then begins to execute code in memory. Poweliks was an example. "Fileless attack" is more often than not a misnomer.
But that is exactly my point. Poweliks and similar exploits need to run scripts, and the command line string will be blocked by the anti exe.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
XSS attacks, metasploits , network attacks/abuse (like EternalBlue/Double pulsar), etc...etc...
Admittedly, targeted attacks and network worms are credible threats in a business environment. But I don't see anything here that a home user with anti exe and vulnerable process protection needs to worry about.

Thread author
But that is exactly my point. Poweliks and similar exploits need to run scripts, and the command line string will be blocked by the anti exe.

That's just a single example. It is not always simple with black or white answers in every single case. There can be and are exceptions. The best thing to do is to research the topic online to gain insight. That way you can formulate your own personal thoughts and opinions on the subject matter. You can pretty much guess based upon prior experience the direction that this thread is heading.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
There can be and are exceptions. The best thing to do is to research the topic online to gain insight.
Maybe you could do me a favor and link me to an article about one of these exceptions. I am not trying to belabor the point. On the contrary, I am interested in learning more about the subject.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Reactions: Spyro and Andy Ful

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
XSS attacks
This type of attack can result in an exploited browser, but the exploit is only dangerous if it gets control of a vulnerable process. The targeted vulnerable process will most likely be one that is already protected by the user's anti exe program, and the exploit will probably fail anyways, assuming the user has a modern OS and a secure browser.
But I agree with you that there is always room to be paranoid. I am running Kaspersky IS, NVT ERP, and Sandboxie, so I think I qualify as a paranoid...

Thread author
I am running Kaspersky IS, NVT ERP, and Sandboxie, so I think I qualify as a paranoid...

You qualify for paranoid when you configure paranoid settings. With those three softs you have settings, Application Control, Policy Editor, Vulnerable Process List, and the SBIE .ini file. It will take you a couple of hours to configure the paranoid levels.

Silas Charleaux

Level 1
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
Guys, I'm really sorry to disturb the thread. I'm sure I don't have the same expertise as you guys. But recently I have detected similar activity in my PC, probably linked to a conhost miner. The thing is, the method used is this one last mentioned. It is copying files across memory and my Kaspersky TS 2017 with all defenses up doesn't even notice the dll/process injections. Usually system32, system32\wbem and syswow64\wbem.

It behaves much like a malware, whenever you close a process, other one pops up and injects into svchost, taskhost or any other available windows process. The constant here is running conhost.exe, cmd.exe or dllhost (COM SURROGATE into svchost), whenever I connect to internet or stay idle for too long, to restart the injection cycle

I can see these process are injected with scripts, because in ProcessExplorer you can tell, if hovered by mouse, will show you a non-complex description and filepath for the process, as well as the services related to it. The injected ones reference scripts, NTDLL calls and really huge instructions as well as Powershell references. I had Powershell installed without my knowledge and it wasn't showing on appwiz.cpl(Windows updates).

It was just there sitting on System32 and it had some nasty inheritance and permissions protections to each folder/file, that I have to perform several attempts to retrieve it, and finally learned to use PS to override these protections myself using a PS script downloaded on the web. BTW it had some folders like "modules" and "applock". The last was fu$#%¨* nasty. During the takeown attempts I did, he froze my machine, restarted it and started to copy explorer.exe process over memory. Until I manage to takeown with the script. Also PS execution policy was set to "unrestricted". lol

When I finally got permission, I deleted the registry keys related, as specified by Symantech guide and manually removed it from my machine. Did some whatever executables and dll renaming to "_bkp".

Several processes stopped showing and injecting with nasty codes. Now they behave more normally with few exceptions. Dllhost.exe, taskhost.exe and svchost.exe would be eventually injected by very subtle executables which would soon vanish, not able to click and inspect. Like sppsvc.exe and audiodg.exe. I know because they do a fast and red colored pop in ProcessExplorer and vanish.

It is damn persistent. Really, I'm not bad for a layman. I have some understanding of some Visual Studio, Java and Python and I'm the support guy from the family and neighbours. I think I have hit a solid wall with this infection.

This is some real #####. An exploit payload probably delivered by some tweaked Meterpreter(found traces) or Netcat.

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413 and AtlBo
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
This type of attack can result in an exploited browser, but the exploit is only dangerous if it gets control of a vulnerable process.
OMG you are so focused on Vulnerable Processes, that you forget/ignore everything else :D

XSS can be used to exploit your browser without even dropping a file in your system:
XSS > exploited browser > use exploit kit to create fileles payload > exploit the system... where is your anti-exe? nowhere , thanks , let me play with your owned system , bye.

Reactions: ravi prakash saini

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I've heard of some of those techniques (process hollowing, dll injection, thread execution injection). Don't know much about subject, but I hope that HMPA and NoScript extension are ready to do their job if necessary.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
XSS > exploited browser > scan the system > adjust the payload and drop it into the target as DLL> install reflective DLL loader in target's memory > run DLL

All the above can be applied automatically from the malicious web page. The similar scenarios are possible, when exploiting any software. Many security programs (including SRP and Anti-Exe) cannot fight such attacks, even if they can control DLLs in a standard way (like NVT SOB).

Edit.
SRP and Anti-Exe are not an anti-exploit solutions. They can only try to stop the malware on the post-exploitation stage. The above scenario will fail on an updated system (Windows/Software updated), especially when using Standard User Account.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.