Ten Process Injection Techniques

Did you know these Injection Techniques?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I've heard of some of those techniques (process hollowing, dll injection, thread execution injection). Don't know much about subject, but I hope that HMPA and NoScript extension are ready to do their job if necessary.
there is some way to bypass Noscript with XSS , however HMPA will be more helpful.

XSS > exploited browser > scan the system > adjust the payload and drop it into the target as DLL> install reflective DLL loader in target's memory > run DLL.
All the above can be applied automatically from the malicious web page. The similar scenarios are possible, when exploiting any software. Many security programs (including SRP and Anti-Exe) cannot fight such attacks, even if they can control DLLs in a standard way (like NVT SOB).
Exactly , no need to be a genius, just need to practice. Anyway those using these techniques don't need to go as far as this , a simple "attractive" link on some popular social sites , which download a dropper and you will have hundreds of victims ready to be exploited. Only an handful of people uses and know how to use an anti-exe/SRP/HIPS.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I should agree these kind of attacks are not typical attacks that are engaged within executable points, the trend is all about the fileless attacks which many AV's are still primary focus on traditional techniques.

Enterprise products that are align with Anti-exe are surely protected on that, of course you need to purchase a license but expect it will perform well.

Silas Charleaux

Level 1
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
This thing is coming hot from July/2017 and being overlooked in all forums. I mean, everyone is saying "seems clean", "must be hardware", "check this defrag". It is just a pattern. Just look on the forums for svchost, dllhost and com surrogate in July and you'll see.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
there is some way to bypass Noscript with XSS , however HMPA will be more helpful.

Thanks for the answer. I know that nothing is bulletproof but somehow I always thought that mitigating XSS attacks along with anti-clickjacking is NoScript's forte. I believe it's advertised as an extension that should be able to filter that kind of threats even if you set it to allow scripts globally.
Even though, there could be present vulnerabilities in extension itself which could help an attacker to pursue some of those malicious techniques.
Could you please share some info on that possibility to bypass NoScript that you mentioned in your answer above?

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Silas Charleaux

Level 1
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
Excellent pdf , thx .

not saying that using Reflective Dll Injection which contains embedded meterpreters/frameworks that can be loaded directly in memory would bypass classic anti-exe.

In page 13, there is a link that takes you to another paper. It describes the possibilities within WMI and its classes.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
XSS > exploited browser > scan the system > adjust the payload and drop it into the target as DLL> install reflective DLL loader in target's memory > run DLL

All the above can be applied automatically from the malicious web page. The similar scenarios are possible, when exploiting any software. Many security programs (including SRP and Anti-Exe) cannot fight such attacks, even if they can control DLLs in a standard way (like NVT SOB).

Edit.
SRP and Anti-Exe are not an anti-exploit solutions. They can only try to stop the malware on the post-exploitation stage. The above scenario will fail on an updated system (Windows/Software updated), especially when using Standard User Account.
@Andy Ful , thanks for the explanations! I learned a lot. So it sounds like sandboxing the browser is a better protection than trying to control the DLLs.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Andy Ful , thanks for the explanations! I learned a lot. So it sounds like sandboxing the browser is a better protection than trying to control the DLLs.
The same can be said about applications opening vulnerable files, like: document readers, document editors, media players, etc.
Personally, I use Universal Applications (AppContainer) from Windows Store for that, and Office Online.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
The last few days i 've been reading this thread.
Quite informative i can say at least even though i don't have the knowledge to fully understand all the terms.
Luckily i am a member of MT for some years now and i have learn some things:) so i can at least get the big picture.
But i have a question to make.
@Umbra said that Comodo can protect up to a point.
So i have to ask, i am using now EAV and i have HIPS to Interactive mode. Can HIPS block some of those attacks?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The same can be said about applications opening vulnerable files, like: document readers, document editors, media players, etc.
Personally, I use Universal Applications (AppContainer) from Windows Store for that, and Office Online.
So the Windows 10 default apps will do it for most everything you mentioned, except for Word docs. To handle the Word docs, I have installed LibreOffice inside of the default sandbox of Sandboxie, so if I download a Word doc, I can open it virtualized.

Reactions: Andy Ful

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I know Voodooshield and Kaspersky Free Antivirus detect Powershell execution because I run a scheduled task to download my hosts file using Powershell single -command. Most security products don't throw any red flags at the fact that I download a strange file directly from the Internet into a protected system32/driver/etc folder except those two which often makes me wonder what other malware could do with a SYSTEM token.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Not sure but it seems I have already posted something similar but I would like to add that the base relocation table is contained into the OptionalHeader (that’s not optional on executables) member of IMAGE_NT_HEADERS structure so we’ll get a handle to the current process image, and we’ll extract the relocation table.
Now, we can allocate a copy of our image and then we can calculate the delta from the remote memory address and the image base. The old delta (actual address of image, image base) will be replaced with the new delta into the relocation table and we can replace the old delta in the relocation table.
And finally we can write the memory buffer into the remote process memory allocated previously, and call CreateRemoteThread on the address of the function ThreadProc .

But if you need to inject a code within a process on a different session you can’t use CreateRemoteThread because it returns error 0x05 (Access Denied), that's why you can replace this function with NtCreateThreadEx.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
In page 13, there is a link that takes you to another paper. It describes the possibilities within WMI and its classes.
yes herad of that too, thanksi will check it out to see the symantec explanation :)

indeed, it is why using a sandbox is a main part of my security strategy. Bypassing a sandbox is surely possible, but not so easy and worth the time/resources.

Same here, im amazed by all those Win10 users that despise the very secure Metro Apps and rather use some crappy 3rd party party software without secureing them via a sandbox or a anti-exploit.
i do use 3rd party media players/reader but all are isolated/exploit-protected.

I know Voodooshield and Kaspersky Free Antivirus detect Powershell execution because I run a scheduled task to download my hosts file using Powershell single -command. Most security products don't throw any red flags at the fact that I download a strange file directly from the Internet into a protected system32/driver/etc folder except those two which often makes me wonder what other malware could do with a SYSTEM token.
Detecting and blocking powershell.exe isn't enough anymore, i can launch a battery of powershell scripts without even using powershell.exe , and without any files even touching the disk. all being in memory. Anti-exe won't even react.
KIS should react because of its memory protection (i dont use it but i remember it has one).

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
ok, since I used f-secure I did some search and found a white paper about DEEPGUARD! seems it can detect these attacks@shmu26 keep calm and buy an F-secure:p
https://www.f-secure.com/documents/996508/1030745/deepguard_whitepaper.pdf
2.1 Process monitoring
Applications are monitored for a number of suspicious actions, including (but not limited to): y Modifying the Windows registry y Editing files in certain critical system directories y Injecting code in another process’s space y Attempting to hide processes or replicate themselves As legitimate programs will also perform such actions from time to time, DeepGuard does not red-flag a program on the basis of a single action but instead watches for multiple suspicious operations. Once a critical threshold of suspect actions is reached, DeepGuard will block the process from continuing. If available, file reputation and prevalence rating information from the Security Cloud is taken into account to determine this critical threshold. For example, DeepGuard treats files with a low-prevalence rating more aggressively by lowering the critical threshold of suspicious actions that can be performed before the file is blocked

the deep guard is more than that(just take a look at pdf)!so worth the price

Last edited:

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Idk if behavior shield in avg can block these things? can some one test the free avg against some Exploit and these dll things? hahaha
@Andy Ful @cruelsister @CyberSecurity GrujaRS can you test the Bitdefender free and avg free against these attacks?
A topic like this make ppl sick( feels HIV) :p

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
ok, since I used f-secure I did some search and found a white paper about DEEPGUARD! seems it can detect these attacks@shmu26 keep calm and buy an F-secure:p
https://www.f-secure.com/documents/996508/1030745/deepguard_whitepaper.pdf
2.1 Process monitoring
Applications are monitored for a number of suspicious actions, including (but not limited to): y Modifying the Windows registry y Editing files in certain critical system directories y Injecting code in another process’s space y Attempting to hide processes or replicate themselves As legitimate programs will also perform such actions from time to time, DeepGuard does not red-flag a program on the basis of a single action but instead watches for multiple suspicious operations. Once a critical threshold of suspect actions is reached, DeepGuard will block the process from continuing. If available, file reputation and prevalence rating information from the Security Cloud is taken into account to determine this critical threshold. For example, DeepGuard treats files with a low-prevalence rating more aggressively by lowering the critical threshold of suspicious actions that can be performed before the file is blocked

the deep guard is more than that(just take a look at pdf)!so worth the price
How would you compare it to Kaspersky IS?

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
IDK about Kasper sky i never used it(is there any white paper for Kasper behavior blocker?), some one should test BD(free) f-secure, KIS and AVG(free) and EMSI!

Silas Charleaux

Level 1
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
I really don't think that only one tool can do trick. From what I heard, the best options would be a combo of AV/Firewall/HIPS and a Sandbox. AV being the most vulnerable of the combo not meant to block attacks, but more to cleanup tasks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.