App Review Tencent PC Manager Tested 9.12.21

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Computer Solutions

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014

Tencent PC Manager Tested 9.12.21

a new test of Tencent PC Manager from the Youtube Channel Computer Solutions.

I have used it in the past and it was light on resources with good detection ratio.
web protection on low level.
what are your experiences or opinions?

-Downloading Bitdefender signatures takes forever (get Bitdefender Free instead)
-Development seems to be dead for a longer while now
-Own engine is so-so
-If I remember right, it can detect malicious pages without extension though
-Behavior Blocker has been non-existent when I tested it months ago (it seems to be cloud dependend, and used to break a lot in my tests), and last year
I can confirm the lightweightness however.
-Be careful with Zemana AntiMalware, it flags tons of entries by TCPM as malware. At least it used to when I tested the product in the HUB (2 y ago?)

I liked it a lot in the past, however with the bugs (especially BB), I can no longer recommend it at all, you put yourself on risk in worst case.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I used it for some time in the past. After switching from Bitdefender to Avira signatures, it became one of the lightest antiviruses there is. But sadly, it appears to be close to being abandoned. The current version was released in April of last year, but a few years ago they were releasing new versions every two weeks. As well, the website says "Copyright © 1998 - 2018 Tencent." The Chinese version is still being updated and has more features (such as junk cleaning) than the international version, as you can see if you visit its website.

It seems that the international version has never been a priority for Tencent. For example, unlike Qihoo, they've never published changelogs. While it has a reputation for being hard to remove, that's not really the case. The Chinese version can be hard to remove, but only because everything is in Chinese. But this is obviously not an issue for the English language version.
-Be careful with Zemana AntiMalware, it flags tons of entries by TCPM as malware. At least it used to when I tested the product in the HUB (2 y ago?)

I liked it a lot in the past, however with the bugs (especially BB), I can no longer recommend it at all, you put yourself on risk in worst case.
I presume it still does, and they would never answer my question as to why they detected it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.