test server

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
@muhammadarif: If you are using 4GB of RAM or more on a 32-bit OS it will be recognised as a maximum of 3.2GB. When I upgraded to 4GB RAM on my computer I was running a 32-bit version of Ubuntu. It was recognised as 2.9.

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
pcjunklist said:
muhammadariif said:
I have 2 ram slots, if i want to upgrade to 16gb, may be worth using 8gb ram single :)

your info says 32bit Windows, you should upgrade to 64 bit before adding any memory.

Yes now i using 32bit Windows, may be subject to upgrade to 64bit if i using more than 4gb ram:dodgy: upgrades would not be cheap right?, I bought my computer ready with OS

Maybe I should consider a thousand times before upgardes, how good when I buy a computer, complete with a 6bit os :(

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
muhammadariif said:
pcjunklist said:
muhammadariif said:
I have 2 ram slots, if i want to upgrade to 16gb, may be worth using 8gb ram single :)

your info says 32bit Windows, you should upgrade to 64 bit before adding any memory.

Yes now i using 32bit Windows, may be subject to upgrade to 64bit if i using more than 4gb ram:dodgy: upgrades would not be cheap right?, I bought my computer ready with OS

Maybe I should consider a thousand times before upgardes, how good when I buy a computer, complete with a 6bit os :(

Make a new thread and we will look at it and give you feedback.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 28, 2011
muhammadariif said:
pcjunklist said:
muhammadariif said:

Take a look at this link, your computer might be eligible to upgrade to 64 bit.
http://www.lytebyte.com/2009/08/04/how-to-check-if-my-processor-is-x86-32-bit-or-x64-64-bit-in-windows/

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
pcjunklist said:
muhammadariif said:
pcjunklist said:
muhammadariif said:

Take a look at this link, your computer might be eligible to upgrade to 64 bit.
http://www.lytebyte.com/2009/08/04/how-to-check-if-my-processor-is-x86-32-bit-or-x64-64-bit-in-windows/
Thank you for the link :) my computer capable for 64-bit system CPU-Z show EM64T.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Yes even though i have a p4 processor my pc to supports EMT64. I think i have to go for a massive hardware upgrade. My pc is pretty old. Just changed motherboard. Good entry level server config. In india you can get it for around 70,000 which is a branded IBM to be specific.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
malbky said:
Yes even though i have a p4 processor my pc to supports EMT64. I think i have to go for a massive hardware upgrade. My pc is pretty old. Just changed motherboard. Good entry level server config. In india you can get it for around 70,000 which is a branded IBM to be specific.

If you want help with upgrads tell us and some of use will help

pcjunklist

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 28, 2011
Updated:
The server was doing a lot better than I expected so it's moving into a 2u rack to replace a couple of aging xeons. I switched it to a raid 1 for now until I price out adding drives and moving it to a different raid set most likely a raid 10. Since it's not a storage server the raid set really isn't a major issue. Only additions was I switched over from onboard raid to a lsi 9260-8i and an Intel Pro 1000 PT Quad nic and switched to a supermicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O. I'm going to more than likely make this into my MS Exchange 10 server. I re-purposed the case and used it for a i3-2125, 8gb ram, and a older 128gb ssd (crucial c300) for my aunt. For a dual core it's pretty quick and very surprised how good the HD 3000 turned out to be.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
pcjunklist said:
Updated:
The server was doing a lot better than I expected so it's moving into a 2u rack to replace a couple of aging xeons. I switched it to a raid 1 for now until I price out adding drives and moving it to a different raid set most likely a raid 10. Since it's not a storage server the raid set really isn't a major issue. Only additions was I switched over from onboard raid to a lsi 9260-8i and an Intel Pro 1000 PT Quad nic. I'm going to more than likely make this into my MS Exchange 10 server. I re-purposed the case and used it for a i3-2125, 8gb ram, and a older 128gb ssd (crucial c300) for my aunt. For a dual core it's pretty quick and very surprised how good the HD 3000 turned out to be.

Nice, glad that it's working perfectly :)

Was going to install MS Exchange on my server but wasn't sure if I should install that or install make it a server that I can use and instal Windows Server on it and install Microsoft Forefront TMG and what not to play around with it and then hook my network up to it.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 28, 2011
MS Exchange is a bit of a resource hog. I had exchange & forefront on the test server with 25 users and it was around 20% utilization. If your looking to play around with it and other microsoft business packages they offer free trials of them in both install and pre-loaded vhd's.
Win2k8R 2: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/2008-r2-trial.aspx
Exchange: http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/en-us/downloads-and-trials.aspx
Forefront: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/forefront/default.aspx

You will need a hotmail account to download them, let me know if you need some help installing them.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.