Question Text Threat

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

MarkB53

Thread author
Jul 31, 2023
Has anyone had any experience with receiving a death threat via text message? The sender asked if there was anything that I was willing to do to stop the threat from being carried out. I said “No” and told them that I hoped they were being paid well since they had previously stated that someone had paid them to do it. Supposedly I am going to be shot with a gun. Would appreciate any feedback you might have.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
Has anyone had any experience with receiving a death threat via text message? The sender asked if there was anything that I was willing to do to stop the threat from being carried out. I said “No” and told them that I hoped they were being paid well since they had previously stated that someone had paid them to do it. Supposedly I am going to be shot with a gun. Would appreciate any feedback you might have.
A gun?! Pfft that person doesn't even understand that a trebuchet is a far superior weapon!

On the side note: did they ask for any demands like money or credit info? If so then it's a scam or maybe just bored teenagers playing stupid jokes.
Knowing myself if someone were to either text me or call me with a death threat I would 99.9% reply with "aww, who is this again? The last guy was late"

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
More than likely just a idiot texting to a random number.

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. Receiving a death threat is a serious matter, and it's important to take immediate action. Here are a few steps you can consider:

1. Contact the authorities: Report the threat to your local law enforcement agency. Provide them with all the details, including the content of the message, the phone number it came from, and any other relevant information. They will be able to guide you on further steps to take.

2. Document evidence: Take screenshots or keep a record of the threatening text messages as evidence. This will be useful for the authorities during their investigation.

3. Inform your network provider: Contact your mobile network provider and inform them about the threat you received. They might be able to assist you in identifying the sender or blocking their number.

4. Increase your personal security: Take extra precautions to ensure your safety. Inform your family, friends, or colleagues about the situation so they can be aware and provide support. Consider changing your daily routines to avoid predictable patterns.

5. Be cautious online: Keep a watchful eye on your social media profiles and other online platforms. It's possible that the sender may try to contact you through other channels. Be cautious about sharing personal information online and consider adjusting your privacy settings to limit access.

Remember, it's crucial to consult with the authorities as they have the expertise to handle such situations and can provide appropriate guidance tailored to your specific circumstances. Stay safe!

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Don't worry I got one of those some time ago. I told him what I meant of him and his warning, and I never heard from him again. If you feel like it, of course you can tell the cops about it. But it's 99% a hoax, so think about it as a such. 👍

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That was actually the mistake. You should never ever respond to messages like that, by doing so you get entangled in it, especially if it is just an automated message. Ignore/block/report.
Exactly, zero contact is the best.

Now they know the number is live and actively used by an individual.

They can potentially share your number to other underground networks/databases.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Just some notes.

A professional killer won't contact his victims to ask for money. A professional assassin that accepts money from their victims will have a noticeably short career....

When you are contacted by any kind of hoax NEVER answer. if your country has a police division specialized in digital crimes, report the message.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.