App Review The battle of the antiviruses using the Bitdefender's engine !

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
In this video, we compare Bitdefender with 3 antivirus products that use it! (GDATA, Emsisoft and Vipre).
The goal is to see if there are differences in detection and especially differences in behavioral blocking.

In terms of detection, it is very similar, even if Vipre has left 16 malwares in detection. The others are close.

On the other hand, there is a difference in proactive protection. Even if Bitdefender did not let anything through, the others left traces (Gdata and Vipre) and even an infected machine for Emsisoft!

Bitdefender is way above these partners, but they also do a good job.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
In this video, we compare Bitdefender with 3 antivirus products that use it! (GDATA, Emsisoft and Vipre).
The goal is to see if there are differences in detection and especially differences in behavioral blocking.

In terms of detection, it is very similar, even if Vipre has left 16 malwares in detection. The others are close.

On the other hand, there is a difference in proactive protection. Even if Bitdefender did not let anything through, the others left traces (Gdata and Vipre) and even an infected machine for Emsisoft!

Bitdefender is way above these partners, but they also do a good job.

Thank you very much, I have been waiting for this test 🌹

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Hello all!

Seems like with latest beta, FS changed from Bitdefender to Avira engines.
Detection names speak for themselves:
View attachment 200795

Old engine was Aquarius (with Bitdefender signatures), new one is named Capricorn (with Avira signatures).

Quoting F-Secure team member

What do you think about such switch? One instant change I saw is smaller size of signature's folder (couple of hundred of megabytes).
Nov 2018✌️

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thanks for the video, what do you think about doing an antivirus tier list? You can use your previous tests and more to explain why it's ranked that way...
(example: )

title says best av of 2021, but perhaps somewhat old info in Nov 2022?, although I concur with some of his conclusions, but not with all of his, fwiw :D

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Wow they dropped the Kaspersky engine. Ok then

Emsisoft and Gdata have never been on Kaspersky...
Gdata used to use Avast and Bitdefender, now they have their engine (CloseGap) and Bitdefender.

Emsisoft used to use Ikarus and their engine. Now they still have their engine, but they use Bitdefender.

Damiandedolk

Dec 9, 2022
Hello everyone! My Avast Premium Security is expiring this month and I'm not sure what software to go for next. I am no expert in this field and would like to get some advice regarding which antivirus software to get. I heard good stories about BitDefender, would this be a good antivirus to run for the upcoming year? Thank you in advance!

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello everyone! My Avast Premium Security is expiring this month and I'm not sure what software to go for next. I am no expert in this field and would like to get some advice regarding which antivirus software to get. I heard good stories about BitDefender, would this be a good antivirus to run for the upcoming year? Thank you in advance!

Hello and welcome :)

The choice of an antivirus is mainly based on your use of the Internet and what you expect from an antivirus.

Bitdefender is an excellent antivirus that will protect you properly. However, you will need a powerful enough antivirus to run it without slowing down.
You also have F-Secure, Norton, Kaspersky and Eset that do an excellent job and are less heavy :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.