AV-TEST The best antivirus software for Android (September 2021)

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
In September 2021 we evaluated 18 mobile security products for Android using their default settings. When conducting our tests, we always used the most current version of all products. The products were allowed to update themselves at any time and query their in-the-cloud services. We focused on malware detection and usability, including performance and false positives. The products had to demonstrate their capabilities using all components and protection layers.
A little more differentiation in the results can be seen in the Excel file from the press area here:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I reciently bought a Xiaomi Note 9 Pro, and it comes with a security app built-in from Xiaomi, which says it has "Avast" signatures for scanning and protection. Does anybody knows if in terms of general real time protection and scanning this works just as Avast Mobile app?

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
1636032171453.png

:cool::cool::cool:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I reciently bought a Xiaomi Note 9 Pro, and it comes with a security app built-in from Xiaomi, which says it has "Avast" signatures for scanning and protection. Does anybody knows if in terms of general real time protection and scanning this works just as Avast Mobile app?
I have xiaomi too but on MIUI 11. it only scans apps/apks DURING installing and when I trigger system scan. It doesn't work in other contexts and doesn't have realtime protection -> useless

icarus

Level 2
Oct 29, 2021
A little more differentiation in the results can be seen in the Excel file from the press area here:
avg:love:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I don’t need avs in an android phone I just removed it via adb(debug bridge)
With a lot of other miui bloat and it’s running fine
when it will stop getting security patches I will move to a rom
But avs are a scam that drains battery and performance

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
says it has "Avast" signatures for scanning and protection. Does anybody knows if in terms of general real time protection and scanning this works just as Avast Mobile app?
My own phone sadly also comes with that one built-in, and when I done basic tests where even the super weak Google Play Protect outperform and actually notify, I can't do anything else then just roll my eyes and install and use something that actually works. But maybe Xiaomi has a better implementation then Huawei. 🤷‍♂️🤞

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
the best antivirus on android is Virustotal.com or the virustotal mobile app for android
just scan everything before clicking on install. After the installation, the AV doesn't do much other than consuming the battery

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I use the free version of Avast One Mobile on my Android Galaxy A10E. It has similar features to Avast for computers like the app shield, file shield and web shield. Basically it keeps me off bad sites when browsing on my phone. It also scans any apps I try to download and checks the security of any apps I have already installed. It offers to check the security of any new wi-fi networks I might run into. Avast will remove junk files and improve the phone's performance. This helped a lot a few weeks ago when my wife had problems with her phone using up all its memory, it was pretty much bricked and Avast really helped me clean it up and get it working again.

I used to use Lookout on my phone but all it really is just an on demand scanner and lost phone locker/locator. I have read that the Google Play Protect is pretty useless, but I never had any problems with it. The Avast mobile program has more features, does not slow my phone down, in fact it is faster and the battery actually lasts longer than it did before I found the Avast One phone app. I am no Avast fan boy; I did not care at all for Avast One on my laptops and think it needs a lot of work to make it better. That being said, I do think Avast gets a lot of things right with most of their products and I like how they offer good useable apps/programs for free.

C.H.

nico_be_rocky

Apr 4, 2020
the best antivirus on android is Virustotal.com or the virustotal mobile app for android
just scan everything before clicking on install. After the installation, the AV doesn't do much other than consuming the battery
I can give you my experience. for me it is extremely necessary. if i use a browser i have the same web protection as on pc, it can identify phishing links from sms, if i install apk outside the playstore in some cases it warned me of some problem, in some cases i load them on virustotal for a more complete idea. it can't protect emails (i think android doesn't allow it), but if i click on a link i open it with the browser and not within the app, so being able to protect the browser i can use web protection. I have trendmicro and personally it doesn't give me any problems, on the contrary ...

Reactions: Nevi and show-Zi

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I use the free version of Avast One Mobile on my Android Galaxy A10E. It has similar features to Avast for computers like the app shield, file shield and web shield. Basically it keeps me off bad sites when browsing on my phone. It also scans any apps I try to download and checks the security of any apps I have already installed. It offers to check the security of any new wi-fi networks I might run into. Avast will remove junk files and improve the phone's performance. This helped a lot a few weeks ago when my wife had problems with her phone using up all its memory, it was pretty much bricked and Avast really helped me clean it up and get it working again.

I used to use Lookout on my phone but all it really is just an on demand scanner and lost phone locker/locator. I have read that the Google Play Protect is pretty useless, but I never had any problems with it. The Avast mobile program has more features, does not slow my phone down, in fact it is faster and the battery actually lasts longer than it did before I found the Avast One phone app. I am no Avast fan boy; I did not care at all for Avast One on my laptops and think it needs a lot of work to make it better. That being said, I do think Avast gets a lot of things right with most of their products and I like how they offer good useable apps/programs for free.

C.H.
This summs it up pretty much, avast free is probably best free product rn. Sophos free lacks bit , and kaspersky you have to click for scan manually, bitdefender works as autopilot scanning , but lacks web protection

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.