AV-TEST The best antivirus software for Android (Test September & October 2020)

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
In September 2020 we evaluated 15 mobile security products for Android using their default settings. When conducting our tests, we always used the most current version of all products. The products were allowed to update themselves at any time and query their in-the-cloud services. We focused on malware detection and usability, including performance and false positives. The products had to demonstrate their capabilities using all components and protection layers.
In September 2020 we continuously evaluated 4 endpoint protection products using settings as provided by the vendor. When conducting our tests, we always used the most current version of all products. The products were allowed to update themselves at any time and query their in-the-cloud services. We focused on malware detection and usability, including performance and false positives. The products had to demonstrate their capabilities using all components and protection layers.
For the full results it's easier to download the Excel files from the Press Area:
Only five products had 100% detection for the two protection categories (o-day and widespread malware):
Bitdefender Mobile Security
G Data Mobile Security
NortonLifeLock Norton 360
Trend Micro Mobile Security
Symantec Endpoint Security Complete
Edited my post to include the business test and full 100% score conclusion.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I see Sophos Intercept X isn't on the list, how strange...

~LDogg
They are on the business users test:
Thanks, for mentioning that, it's now included in the first post (y)

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Here are screenshots from the Excel files in the Press Area:

Home user:
Schermafbeelding 2020-11-16 174154.jpg

Business user:
Schermafbeelding 2020-11-16 173933.jpg

EDIT: hereby uploaded the correct files from September 2020 :oops:

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Yes, They are not sorted chronologically descending. I see this for September 2020

View attachment 249128

Which is in line with this table

View attachment 249129
Correct, thanks. I edited my first post. (y)
I was too hastily, before starting work this morning.
I didn't want to mention de points, but the fact that only four protected 100% against 0-day (latest) and already known (widespread) malware.
You can have eighteen points, but not completely block all malware used in this test :eek:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.