AV-TEST The best Windows antivirus software for home users (Test September and October 2020)

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
During September and October 2020 we continuously evaluated 22 home user security products using their default settings. We always used the most current publicly-available version of all products for the testing. They were allowed to update themselves at any time and query their in-the-cloud services. We focused on realistic test scenarios and challenged the products against real-world threats. Products had to demonstrate their capabilities using all components and protection layers.
Excel file with detailed results is available in the Press Area:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
There is a new Kaspersky rebrand - Northguard...
First time I hear about them.
Good eye (y)
Also never heard of them before.

100% danish​

We are a 100% Danish company, with Danish tools and programs. However, all your service and protection will be in a language that you can understand.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Good eye (y)
Also never heard of them before.

They seem to be very new and some pages still don’t work. Their website is built using WordPress.
However, they’ve made the right choice of who to rebrand 😅

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Yes, GUI in blue colour based in K2020...

1606323478739.png

1606323642819.png

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
In general you can't go wrong with any antivirus you choose, if they are reputed as they all get 5.5 and above out of 6 for protection. Choose one and stick with it if you like it, no matter what anyone says, even if they say it is the best. So forget about protection mostly and only consider usability and performance for your particular system when choosing your software.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
If they have even submitted it to a test, then it's official.
And yeah, I was thinking the same... What exactly is Danish in their software... seems very Russian :D
The dark-blue colour may be Danish :D
What I meant is, Kaspersky said in their forum that it's developed by Kaspersky so it seems it's not another company but a subsidiary of Kaspersky.
Kaspersky's reputation was harmed because of those US allegations (with no solid proof) so maybe they want to sell Kaspersky in some regions with a different name??!! I don't know, just guessing.
Kaspersky's support page has Northguard's info in it. Everything is same except the Kaspersky name is renamed to Northguard.

Last edited:

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
What I meant is, Kaspersky said in their forum that it's developed by Kaspersky so it seems it's not another company but a subsidiary of Kaspersky.
Kaspersky's reputation was harmed because of those US allegations (with no solid proof) so maybe they want to sell Kaspersky in some regions with a different name??!! I don't know, just guessing.
Kaspersky's support page has Northguard's info in it. Everything is same except the Kaspersky name is renamed to Northguard.
Might be a good guess because it makes sense ?

Good name as Putinguard would have gave the game away.

I like the Danish connection, it could mean free vouchers for bacon or some other meat product that they`re famous for ?

Regards Eck :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.