Advice Request The Edge advantage (compared to Chrome)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
This news triggered me : Chrome - Chrome’s RAM problem fix for Windows 10 lands in Canary update

Edge already has this feature in the stable version. Microsoft clearly ahead of Google (for the first time as far as I know).

For the first time Google did not dictate development direction and tempo/pace. Microsoft clearly overtook Google, less than a half year after the formal introduction of Edge-chromium.

From security perspective Edge has build-in Code Integrity Guard enabled for renderer processes and has an option (flag) to de-elevate on browser start (features which Google's browser Chrome does not has). This is the main reason I replaced Chrome with Edge.

For me it is clearly Microsoft showing its muscles to Google. Edge has an advantage because it is build by the same company which also builds the OS. Edge being OS-aware could lead to better sandboxing and cleaner isolation of the browser's code.

Remember Windows Defender was a laugh with detection percentages of 60% at best, where other AntiVirus products scored high in the ninety percent results. After Windows Defender became OS aware, it gradually became a decent solution challenging top notch premium solution today.

WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THIS?

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The new Microsoft Edge browser is a power play by Microsoft.

I saw a quote online about how "Edge [legacy] was better than Internet Explorer but not available for Windows 7". By Microsoft moving to the Chromium source code, it would allow them to mass-spread their Browser to more devices, including older versions of Windows, Mac, Linux and Mobile.

The new Edge can now directly compete with the likes of Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. In my opinion, that's the real advantage.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.