The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is available now for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

eXPerience

Level 1
Mar 7, 2011
Depends on how you like to play of course. I'm a dark elve, 50% fire resist is really handy against fire dragons. Other then that, I don't use magic so that kinda was the wrong race for me, would probably be a Khajiit if I play again. but it's up to you of course.
this might help perhaps : http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Races

eXp

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I'm a redguard. And female. I always figure that if I'm going to be staring at a character for countless hours, I may as well be staring at something nicer to look at... Most of my game characters are female.

They're good warrior/mage hybrid characters, (nice one-handed skill bonus right out of the gate) plus I like the 50% poison resistance.

The bretons skill bonuses are more focused towards being a defensive mage. If you want more of an offensive type mage, you'll probably want to go with a high elf. But yes, they're ugly.

As with most Bethesda games, they're too huge to adequately playtest, so yes there are bugs. (I have Xbox version)

Currently I have a quest I can't complete because I'm supposed to steal a ledger from a shipping company to prove the competition has a deal with some pirates, but the only option on the ledger is to change the numbers. Apparently there are some thieves guild (of which I haven't yet joined...) quests that send you to alter the books of various establishments, and the option to change the numbers is the only option you get even if you haven't activated the quest... I would assume it's a bit of a safety to ensure that a player doesn't steal and sell or dispose of a ledger, then be sent to change the numbers later, only to find the ledger missing thus netting you an uncompletable quest. Of course, as I mentioned, this 'safety' also gives you an uncompletable quest! Luckily it's a side quest, so I can just forget about it and it won't ruin anything. But it does appear obvious that they didn't test every quest. Granted, there are a huge number of quests, but you'd think they'd farm them out between the testing group to ensure that each quest is at least possible...

There is also an annoying bug on the Xbox that will sometimes cause certain NPC dialog not to play. Characters that are supposed to be carrying on a conversation with each other (to either tell a story or reveal a plot) just stand and look at each other. In also interferes with some quests. The quest givers dialog doesn't play, and even with subtitles on, the subtitles flash by too quickly to read, and then you're supposed to make some sort of response... Ummm... I don't know what you just said, how am I supposed to answer. Usually a complete game restart will fix this.

There is also some odd quest item behavior. If you pick up a quest item before being given the quest, you are unable to remove it from your inventory. This sucks if it's a heavy item... Again, I'm sure this is a safety to ensure a quest item doesn't disappear, but if the game gave you a notice that it was a quest item, and you might want to only place the item in your house (to ensure it doesn't de-spawn) where you'll remember its location, that would be sufficient. Or make all the quest items have no weight. There are some that don't weigh anything, but not all of them.

I've also been sent on a quest for the companions to kill a dangerous escaped criminal. (there are some quests that you are given random objectives, in order to gain status in a guild/faction) Only to be lead to the dead body of a criminal I've already killed. Incompletable... Unable to complete further quests from this quest givers line. Hope it doesn't bite me later on... The game is seriously in need of an 'abort quest' feature.

Anyway, aside from issues like these, (and being familiar with Bethesda's huge scale games, I expected bugs like this) I'm completely enjoying the game!

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I finally finished the game. :cool:

Well, I don't know if you can ever finish a game like this... Let's just say that I've reached the top of all the guilds/factions, and I have all of the achievements. But yes, I still have uncompleted quests in my log. I also haven't found all of the dragon priest masks, learned all three levels of all the shouts, hunted down the gems of Barenziah (sp?), or reached the maximum character level (whatever that is), so there is still more that I could do. :p

It took me 181 hours to do this, (yep, 7.5 full days of play time...) but I was definitely taking my time, so I'm sure it could be done more quickly.

What a great game! :)

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
I'm now in: the Dark Brotherhood, the Companions and the Thieves' Guild.
I'm a friend to all, a common thief and an assassin at the same time!
I love this game.
I'm going to use Hircine's Ring to complete most of the Dark Brotherhood quests so that I don't get a murder bounty.
Still, it's only money.
I like how we can almost be beheaded for crossing the border to Skyrim, but we can only get a fine for murdering someone.
I've also got a tactic for luring someone into attacking me then getting the guards to silence them.
Shadowmere sounds like a fun horse to ride. That's my main goal for the Dark Brotherhood quests, to be honest.
In the Thieves' Guild, I plan to get the Nightingale Armor simply because it looks awesome. I don't even care that if I wait until I am level 32+ I could get a muffle of 35 points.
On one of the Thieves' Guild quests, I was basically having to run around looking for some plans with people following behind me constantly saying 'Skyrim belongs to the Nords!'
Apparently I'm trying to overthrow Skyrim by putting some factory out of business.

In Oblivion, I managed to get to be in the Dark Brotherhood by lockpicking the door to the Skooma Den and killing Roxane (The only one with any responsibility) I then proceeded to loot her and come out of the door where I was confronted by a guard.
They apparently have phones in Cyrodiil.
I got a bounty of 80 for apparently stealing Skooma.
I served my one day in prison and came out to find that I still had said Skooma.
Maybe I was caught lockpicking or something.

Hungry Man said:
Sneak archer is crazy easy.

Apparently there is a mod for Skyirm: Online.
What does it do?

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Hungry Man said:
Sneak archer is crazy easy.

Sneak anything is. :) Having played Morrowind and Oblivion, I knew that sneak was great to have, especially for the dark brotherhood and thieves guild questlines, so I started out Skyrim sneaking literally everywhere.

You get some funny comments early on... "I can see you, you know... You're right there" and "Are you in trouble? Is that why you're hiding?" :)

But basically, If there's a bit of shadow, enemies will run right passed you with your sneak maxed. They can stand right in front of you and not see you. Plus if you use the sneak perks, you can get very nice sneak attack bonuses.

My sister is also playing the game and keeps complaining to me about how hard it is and she keeps dying. I just tell her that I stood in a corner and they couldn't find me...

@elliotcroft, You'll only get a murder bounty if you're seen. One of the final stage assassin quests you are guaranteed a bounty, but up until that point, I had zero bounty and I'd killed dozens of people. And it's nice if you've done the thieves guild quests first, because you can tell the guards you're in the thieves guild, and they'll take care of your bounty pretty cheap. (You can also pull the "I'm the thane!" card if you're the thane in that city)

Shadowmere is a nice horse. It's nice to see a horse that can attack a dragon and not die instantly. Although unlike Oblivion, you can actually kill him in Skyrim. I never tried it, but he will apparently die if he falls off a cliff. It's funny to see him running around and attacking bandits if you ride him into a fort full of bandits. I'm glad that riding horses isn't as awkward as it was in Oblivion. I chose to just run everywhere (that I couldn't fast travel to) in Oblivion because the horses were so bizarre to control. I just couldn't get used to navigating them around.

The Nightingale Armor is pretty cool looking. And if you have a high smithing skill, you can improve it so it's not bad at all. I can't remember the exact number I could improve mine to, but my armor rating was a bit over 500 while wearing it. (I did have the light armor perks) Still not as good as dragon scale, (sneaky folks like light armor) but definitely not shabby. :)

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
"What does it do?"

It lets you play online with a friend.

@HeffeD,

Yeah, it's incredible lol ill hit an enemy and they'll be a few feet away but they won't see me.

I think I'll keep playing a bit more, maybe try it online or something. But now that I've finished the main quests it's not as interesting.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Hungry Man said:
But now that I've finished the main quests it's not as interesting.

Agreed. That's why I said I've finished the game. Sure, there's still things I could do, but what's the point really?

With high smithing and enchanting, I can create much more godlike items that I'll ever be able to find in the game.

Even Elder Dragons don't give me much trouble. Sure I could crank the difficulty up to max, (I play at the default medium) but artificially adding more 'challenge' doesn't make things any more interesting. (Or fulfilling)

Oh, and just an FYI, if a Draugr Deathlord Fus Ro Dah's your butt up to the ceiling and you get stuck on a gargoyle looking decoration and have to spend nearly a minute of fierce wiggling to unstick yourself only to find when you're back on the ground that your arms are now invisible and you can't tell whether your weapons are drawn or not, a quick pop into third person view and back will fix that. ;) :p

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Are all of you fellow Skyrim players on console or am I the only person that plays it on PC and has numerous mods installed to make the game 10x better? :)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I'm on the console. I've always envied the fact that with Bethesda games, the PC users can generally get around showstopper bugs by using the console commands, yet those of us playing on the console are stuck waiting for patches.

Unfortunately, I've just never been able to get into playing games on the PC. Not quite sure why. It might be something to do with the fact that if you sit at a computer all day at work, when you are trying to unwind, sitting in front of a computer doesn't really do it for me. :)

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
I play Skyrim on a 23 inch monitor, (1080p) with my Xbox 360 controller connected to my PC and have a very comfy computer chair, So basically a console I'm on.

Before you get immersed in the world of Skyrim and have fun, Comfort matters first. By the sounds of it HeffeD, Your station doesn't sound quite as comforting as mine. :)

/brag

Nathan Wootton said:
is the mods only for pc? or is there some DLC for XBL ?:)

Nathan, Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOFLqItuW4

You will hear him say DLC, But doesn't mention console. Who's knows :p

Enjoy.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
MrXidus said:
I play Skyrim on a 23 inch monitor, (1080p) with my Xbox 360 controller connected to my PC and have a very comfy computer chair, So basically a console I'm on.

Before you get immersed in the world of Skyrim and have fun, Comfort matters first. By the sounds of it HeffeD, Your station doesn't sound quite as comforting as mine. :)

No, most likely not as comforting as yours.

Although I do have a comfy computer chair, (I sat on literally dozens until I found the most comfortable) it can't compare with the cooshy recliner I sit on while playing on my Xbox.

And no, my 19" computer monitor can't compare to my 32" 1080p TV, nor can my 2.1 Creative speaker system compare to my Sony ES Series 800 watt 5.1 surround, home theater system with Infinity speakers.

My console accommodations definitely trump my computer station.

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
HeffeD said:
nor can my 2.1 Creative speaker system compare to my Sony ES Series 800 watt 5.1 surround, home theater system with Infinity speakers.

5.1? Why aren't you on 7.2, Kidding, Good to know HeffeD. :)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
MrXidus said:
5.1? Why aren't you on 7.2

I know you were kidding, but I'll reply anyway. :)

I got 5.1 back in the day... I'm an audio guy, so my system was pretty cutting edge at the time. My receiver can also decode DTS, which you never see any more, even though it's superior to Dolby. (VHS vs. Beta anyone ;) )

5.1 is more than adequate as far as I'm concerned, so I just don't see the point of upgrading. Not to mention that I don't have the room for any more speakers. :p

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Playing on a PC. I'm not a graphics whore or anything I just don't care to buy a console lol I still play with a controller though.

Mods are nice as well.

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Finally a PC player such as myself :) Not sure if you'd be interested, But I'll share it anyways.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1345602-wiprel-multiple-followers/

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
HeffeD said:
@elliotcroft, You'll only get a murder bounty if you're seen. One of the final stage assassin quests you are guaranteed a bounty, but up until that point, I had zero bounty and I'd killed dozens of people. And it's nice if you've done the thieves guild quests first, because you can tell the guards you're in the thieves guild, and they'll take care of your bounty pretty cheap. (You can also pull the "I'm the thane!" card if you're the thane in that city)

How am I guaranteed a bounty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.