Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Immunet will be discontinuing its services on January 1, 2024. After this date, the product will no longer be connected to our Cloud servers and your computer will no longer be protected. Please uninstall Immunet and consider a different antivirus product to continue receiving protection.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is Immunet being discontinued?

Immunet has been available for over a decade. During this time the consumer product landscape has evolved significantly. While Cisco remains committed to contributing to global security defence through Talos threat intelligence, Immunet is not aligned with how Cisco is pursuing this goal.

Interested parties can learn more about the work Talos is doing at talosintelligence.com

What should Immunet users migrate to?

Cisco does not have a formal recommendation, however, there are multiple options available from operating system vendors and third parties for users to consider.

How do I uninstall Immunet?

Immunet can be uninstalled via the Windows Control Panel. After uninstalling Immunet, Windows Defender should become active.

What will happen to the Immunet Forum?

Immunet Forum will be shutdown on 1st February 2024.

Source

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
HI! can i make another request?

Thanks for your good work :)

I can, but I can't give you a date because I'm really busy right now... I can't even find time to finish the transformation of my channel :/

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
I expected it to happen. I wonder why Cisco bought Immunet in the first place, as they didn't really add any new major features to the product. Even the UI remained the same for like 7+ years.
Easy. Get rid of the competition for cheap. Symantec used to do that initially and then they realized that: "hmm the IP we acquired is not bad! Let's Borg it!"

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Thanks for sharing this. I was not expecting this at all. I used to use Immunet quite a few years ago, but I found it gave a lot of false positives and had a very bad/outdated GUI. I had even heard in the forum over a year ago they were thinking about updating the GUI.

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
sad to see Immunet go but it was kinda going to happen not a lot of users and outdated GUI people moved on to better things

Yet it was very promising! I had conducted a test that I never published on Immunet two months ago... they had added a system to block unapproved JS and VBS, and a technology for blacklisting C&C servers via Cisco's Cloud... I'm sad that Cisco is discontinuing Immunet because it had a lot of potential. :/

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
HI! can i make another request?

Thanks for your good work :)
I just took at quick look at Waredot Total Security. It has a Bitdefender inspired interface, but is clearly not using Bitdefender signatures. I ran a Quick Scan, which detected and quarantined some legitimate system files. I then scanned some folders containing malware and PUPs. Defender Control was the only thing that was detected. I rebooted the computer and shortly afterwards Waredot TS downloaded signatures. There is no actual option update option with the software to check for updates. After downloading the signatures, it still detected nothing other than Defender Control.

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I just took at quick look at Waredot Total Security. It has a Bitdefender inspired interface, but is clearly not using Bitdefender signatures. I ran a Quick Scan, which detected and quarantined some legitimate system files. I then scanned some folders containing malware and PUPs. Defender Control was the only thing that was detected. I rebooted the computer and shortly afterwards Waredot TS downloaded signatures. There is no actual option update option with the software to check for updates. After downloading the signatures, it still detected nothing other than Defender Control.

I just tested it quickly and it reacted well in my home.
I didn't push the test, but I'll make a video of it.
Its AV engine is Sophos.

Capture d’écran 2023-09-06 145607.png

Capture d’écran 2023-09-06 145742.png

Everything was deactivated... I activated everything!

Capture d’écran 2023-09-06 145829.png

It uses the Windows firewall

Capture d’écran 2023-09-06 150204.png

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I just tested it quickly and it reacted well in my home.
I didn't push the test, but I'll make a video of it.
Its AV engine is Sophos.
I just uninstalled Total Security, which is the product I tested and installed Internet Security, as I was surprised our different results. Also, your screenshots showed some notable differences between the two products. I can confirm that Waredot Internet Security is working. I started with a Quick Scan, which I soon aborted because it was going to take a long time to complete, but this time there were no false positives, which a good sign. I then scanned a folder of malware and it was actually detecting threats, which wasn't the case with Total Security. I don't know what the issue with Total Security was. I'm guessing they are both using the Sophos engine, as the size of the signature update was about the same for both products.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
78.9 MB is a pretty unusual database for Sophos, it must be compressed somehow or perhaps it comes with an initial one. Sophoses databases are 250MB monthly + few KB daily (for a month about 5 MB get accumulated). How effective the product is would depend on what other technology is used in conjunction with the Sophos engine and whether or not it uses cloud (Live Protection). I found on my tests that Sophos leaves a lot of detections only in the cloud and never writes local definitions.

As to Immunet, I doubt a huge mass of users will cry over its demise. It was far from great and evolved very little throughout the years.
Symantec used to do that initially and then they realized that: "hmm the IP we acquired is not bad! Let's Borg it!"
Speaking of Symantec, Immunet founders were both former Symantec employees and the whole cloud concept was a copy of Norton Insight. So was the performance meter in the main UI that remained there for almost 15 years.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I did some more testing of Waredot Internet Security and it is buggy. I did a context menu scan of the Defender Control folder to see it would still be detected. It wasn't. But when I opened the folder in Explorer, the Defender Control exe was immediately quarantined. It was also quarantined when I did a custom scan and selected its folder. But context menu scans always resulted in nothing being detected.

Reactions: Nevi and Trident

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I did some more testing of Waredot Internet Security and it is buggy. I did a context menu scan of the Defender Control folder to see it would still be detected. It wasn't. But when I opened the folder in Explorer, the Defender Control exe was immediately quarantined. It was also quarantined when I did a custom scan and selected its folder. But context menu scans always resulted in nothing being detected.
There is a similar thing with ZoneAlarm, another Sophos-based AV (except Anti-Ransomware which doesn’t use any AV engine at all). Right click scan sometimes detects nothing but then executing the files triggers cloud lookup (ZoneAlarm uses ThreatCloud by CheckPoint instead of Sophos Live Protection). Malware is then detected. It may be a similar setup here but I doubt Waredot has their own cloud.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
All Immunet client users are recommended to upgrade to 7.5.12.21605.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.