The Worst AV You've Ever Used?

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
In addition to me disliking the really old Norton not the new one that I feel is great - I tried BitDefender 2020 Trial of Internet Security - Now I know the AV is liked my many & I totally appreciate that but we are all different - I felt it was a dreadful interface, the 'Utilities' section gave me a list of modules I will never use & an encouragement to update to the next version. The rest of the GUI for me was a mess & a half & untidy to say the least.

I imaged back to Kaspersky (which was a breath of fresh air) the next day as BD was making me shudder internally & I feared an embolism. The GUI was worse that last tried it a year ago & I disliked then - I will never try BD again.

The thing is some really like it which as always means try before you buy as my opinion means nothing whatsoever (especially with my wife) :p:p:p

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Or use something like Revo uninstaller that will scan for and remove anything left behind.
It won't. If there are drivers left behind after uninstalling, Revo won't find them. Only uninstallers which create before and after snapshots when installing software can do that.

The best option is to run the vendor's own uninstall tool.

Edit. Of course in this case there is no uninstall tool. But Revo will most likely be of no use.

F

ForgottenSeer 67480

What do you mean that ESET stops you from removing it? That it requires you answer an UAC prompt?
No, he just incorrectly updated virus signatures, then he started works incorrectly and caused same troubles like: Impossible to uninstall even by programs like: Wise Program Uninstaller. Using ESET Uninstaller and cleaning the other clues from him by using FRST solved a problem. That's my main reason why i hate ESET for that.

Kermit80

Level 1
Mar 29, 2020

Wraith2020

Level 2
Mar 19, 2020
It seems that there is an uninstall tool for Sophos.
Yeah it's there but it's a worthless tool. It's targeted for endpoints and moreover the tool also failed to remove their product. Like I said everytime the tamper protection would kick in and all I was left with was a failed uninstall of Sophos with a big red warning showing that Real-time protection is disabled.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Yeah it's there but it's a worthless tool. It's targeted for endpoints and moreover the tool also failed to remove their product. Like I said everytime the tamper protection would kick in and all I was left with was a failed uninstall of Sophos with a big red warning showing that Real-time protection is disabled.
Did you try and uninstall it normally first, with the computer not running in safe mode?

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
if you look in the malware samples of @harlan4096 's tests, you can find it to be the best of all.
maybe only Symantec's Endpoint solution did better/similar to Kaspersky when it was being tested by an other user. Too bad Symantec Endpoint and Norton is being developed by two different groups even though they're technically the same company.
Guess what in 2020 it got a lot worse "Broadcom".

Comodo. It deleted all the files in my computer by detecting it as something generic. When I mentioned about it in their Facebook page, they blocked me from there :p.
Virus scope at it's best XD.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
BDTS, every year I give it a try but always ends removed due to random errors/bugs, excessive FPs nor system slowdowns despite having a relatively powerful machine. Their uninstall tool works pretty well now, it used to leave tons of processes and folders left requiring a clean install nor system restore.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
BDTS, every year I give it a try but always ends removed due to random errors/bugs, excessive FPs nor system slowdowns despite having a relatively powerful machine. Their uninstall tool works pretty well now, it used to leave tons of processes and folders left requiring a clean install nor system restore.
I had most of the issues that you have experienced.
If false positives are an issue.
Eset /Kaspersky can be a good
Choice.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
It seems that there is an uninstall tool for Sophos.
I had the same problem had to do a system backup to get rid of it,(Sophos has really good protection), but is a set and forget it with not many options,not for me

Cleo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Sushkom is the worst I've seen. It has tones of fake reviews on Trustpilot. They were uncontactable during the 14-day money back period. I tried the software in a VM and it immediately crashed on the EICAR file and Windows Defender was apparently still on too. They also failed to send me an activation key w/o hassling me for remote access. They sounded just like the scammer calls centers "click yes, click yes, click yes" as I tried to read the support.me disclaimer. None of their US, Ca or AU support numbers work. Instead you get a mysterious callback at night from a (not surprisingly) unlisted number. Google told me the number was associated with more scams than I can list here. They also send abusive SMS when I canceled for a refund. I wasn't really expecting anything from them, just wanted to see if my spider senses were wrong. They are either a scam or very bottom of the competence hierarchy.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
It hasn't got anything do with the brand, as I've used it on just about every brand of computer. Even looking back to the very first version, I can't recall it ever wanting to install older drivers. Sometimes it will recommend a touchpad driver which is made by a different OEM than the actual manufacturer of the touchpad. Usually the driver will work, but it is not the correct one. But, this is an issue for just about all driver updaters.
I've got an old Novatech desktop with Intel chip and MB. I recall running Driver Booster on it and it recommending various drivers for bus controllers and peripherals that were older than what was already installed. I don't still have the evidence though, unless its on an old external backup still, as I removed everything to do with the software when I decided we didn't get on very well.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I've got an old Novatech desktop with Intel chip and MB. I recall running Driver Booster on it and it recommending various drivers for bus controllers and peripherals that were older than what was already installed. I don't still have the evidence though, unless its on an old external backup still, as I removed everything to do with the software when I decided we didn't get on very well.
If generic Microsoft drivers are installed, sometimes they will be newer then the correct OEM drivers. In that case, the drivers that Driver Booster found, would be older than the ones current installed, but may work better, as they are the proper device drivers, rather than generic ones.

Generic Microsoft drivers usually have a date of June 2006. But there are some cases they have a recent date.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.