Advanced Plus Security TheBlueCreeper512's 2020 & Soon-To-Be-2021 MacBook Pro Security Configuration

Last updated
Jun 12, 2020
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
macOS 10.x or older
Log-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates
User Access Control
Real-time security
None
Firewall security
Disabled
About custom security
N/A
Periodic malware scanners
None
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge Chromium, uBlock Origin, Bitdefender TrafficLight, Universal Bypass, Tiny Suspender, Moderator toolbox for Reddit, Bitwarden Password Manager
Maintenance tools
macOS storage management, coconutBattery, Disk Inventory X and Activity Monitor
File and Photo backup
Time Machine
System recovery
Time Machine
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Downloading malware samples
Computer specs
MacBook Pro (15 inch, 2018)
Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.2 GHz
6 cores (12 threads)
Intel UHD Graphics 630 (iGPU)
AMD Radeon Pro 555X (dGPU)
16GB of RAM
256GB SSD Storage
Notable changes
05-16-20: Installed COMODO Firewall
05-20-20: Clean installed Windows 10 Pro 1909
05-20-20: Replaced COMODO Firewall with Windows Defender Firewall
06-01-20: Completely replaced old Windows 10 Surface Pro with macOS Catalina MacBook Pro
06-??-20: Installed Windows 10 via Boot Camp
06-12-20: Installed Sophos Home Free
07-??-20: Installed coconutBattery, Onyx and Disk Inventory X
07-31-20: Replaced Edge with Firefox, installed LastPass Password Manager
0?-??-20: Replaced Firefox with Edge
11-??-20: Replaced Malwarebytes Browser Guard with Bitdefender TrafficLight, replaced The Great Suspender with Tiny Suspender, upgraded to macOS Big Sur, removed Sophos Home, removed Onyx, replaced LastPass with Bitwarden Password Manager. Removed Boot Camp, installed Windows via external SSD
12-14?-20: Downgraded to macOS Catalina, remove external Boot Camp SSD.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@TheBlueCreeper512:

In System Backup, You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliable.

In Data BackUp, consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and/or in cloud services.

A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
Backup and Restore is being depreciated. It might be a good idea to test out other backup solutions in the event they eventually remove the feature altogether.

VlfV6C9.png

Source: Windows 10 features we’re no longer developing - Windows Deployment

I used to use the Windows 7 Backup and Restore function on Windows 10 but encountered some problems with it in February. I switched to Macrium Reflect Free and I am liking it. Please see my comments on the matter. I also link to the tutorial I used for Macrium Reflect in that post.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
I doubt use antivirus based on windows are in some way usefull on macbook. If it work like some linux distro with a central database where u can chosen the software to install, i think u should only care about protect browser from pishing sites.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.