Not open for further replies.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
One or two things I'd consider doing it if I were you:
  • Add HTTPS Everywhere to Chrome. It forcibly encrypts your connection to websites that support HTTPS and the many connections on said websites that would usually default to an unencrypted connection.
  • Add another on-demand scanner. With Malwarebytes already being your main real-time protection it doesn't really count as an on-demand scanner and Webroot is signatureless so its detection rate will vary wildly. I'd suggest Zemana Antimalware Free. There's also HitmanPro (a 30-day free trail that allows removal of malware; after those 30 days it can still be used for scanning but it will not remove anything unless you buy the product) and Norton Power Eraser.
One other thing: Malwarebytes' reputation isn't what it once was and its ability to detect and protect against malware has slipped drastically over the years. It's fantastic at detecting PUPs and its web blocking is still pretty good but I'd personally suggest adding a second real-time solution to bolster its protection.
I'd go with a free AV and I would personally recommend either Avast, Bitdefender, Panda or Qihoo. Obviously there are a lot more free AVs out there and I'm sure others will recommend those that they feel are worth using.
You may disagree and if you're happy with Malwarebytes and feel it provides adequate protection for you then feel free to disregard this whole section. :p

Thanks for sharing. :)

TheJokerz

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2016
Thank you for all of your advice! I will need to look into these. I was always understanding that there would be conflicts if you had more than one of each of these. Unless I misunderstood your advice!

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Thank you for all of your advice! I will need to look into these. I was always understanding that there would be conflicts if you had more than one of each of these. Unless I misunderstood your advice!
Malwarebytes isn't your traditional AV for AV-AV conflicts. You can usually tell from their sites.
@Arequire I think Malwarebytes is enough system protection when you don't click on stuff. Most reviews assume the easily infected home user. They don't really account for every permutation. If you don't already get infected, it should be enough.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
@Arequire I think Malwarebytes is enough system protection when you don't click on stuff. Most reviews assume the easily infected home user. They don't really account for every permutation. If you don't already get infected, it should be enough.
Yeah, should be enough if safe computing habits are followed. I just feel having a fallback is a good idea in case something slips by.
As long as they're comfortable with their protection then its s'all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.